Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: METAL  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Two Years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized the Moon!
  • war boner is 21.03" long.
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Jenne
  • Ruler: Jenne
METAL
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 07:56:45 pm »
Quote from: C-zom
Black Sabbath

Black sabbath has had many faces, but only one emotion. Tony Iommi has been the driving force of this band since the 70's, and basically inventing this whole genre albeit being surpassed later on until recently.  The Black Sabbath I will discuss today is the Dio years, past and modern, which far surpass anything Ozzy has done past Paranoid or Master of Reality.

The Dio years are fast paced and upbeat, and almost NWOBHM (See: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest). The highlights are some masterful riffs by Iommi and Dio's lyrics. His lyrics are hard to describe, often being ironic and poetic and really "old school." "Rainbow in the dark," "Breaking into heaven," Etc. Sabbath has recently returned to Doom, with Dio. Paired with his songwriting its some of the best in modern bands.

Also, it can be noted Dio is almost 70 and has the most energy of anyone live I've ever seen. See the video for "I" below.

Modern:

Breaking into Heaven
<- Favorite
Eating the Cannibals
<-Best damn title ever
Bible Black

The Past:

Rainbow in the Dark

"I" Live
-< Best
Holy Diver

I prefer to pretend Ronnie James Dio never existed, in any form.

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 10:48:22 pm »
I've lost all respect for you.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Two Years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized the Moon!
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 10:02:08 am »
Sorry for not being ghey.

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: goddammit
  • Ruler: certainly not
METAL
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 11:40:18 am »
Meshuggah - Technical Post-Thrash Metal
New Millennium Cyanide Christ

Future Breed Machine

Meshuggah are one of the most rhythmically complex bands I've ever listened to. They commonly play in obscure time signatures, with the drums playing polyrhythms underneath. Their drummer, Tomas Haake, is fully capable of playing four completely different rhythms with his four limbs, and has done so on numerous occasions. They are a very tough band to "get," primarily due to the extreme complexity of their songs and completely atonal vocals. They have released one EP and one full-length album that each consist of one song, the latter split into separate tracks for ease of skipping through. Their typical albums have more than one song, though, so don't worry about that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:40:57 am by EnragedLobster »
fuck off

Offline rlrcstrnthusiast

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards The Disorder War Five years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Four years of Random Insanity Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 21.55" long.
  • has 263 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Dilbobagginese
  • Ruler: rlrcstrnthusiast
METAL
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 12:20:33 pm »
If a bit sadder or heavier progressive is your thing, you might want to consider Opeth. I'm not a huge fan, but they're straight foward and too tonicular for their own good. Mostly death vocals accompanied by an Insomnium-esque riffing pattern and their lyrics are almost entirely based on relationships.

Maybe if Blackwater Park is the only CD you listen to.

Give a black man a dumbbell, and he'll find a way to work out every muscle with it.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3. Power Supply: Antec 80+ rated 750 Watt. Processor: Intel CoreI7 2600K @ 3.4GHz.  RAM: 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Mem @1600 MHz. Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti graphics.

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 02:19:20 pm »
My Arms your hearse > Blackwater

fyi

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 02:28:14 pm »
Quote from: Jenne

Its ozzy thats gay. Ozzy that sold out after Sabbath Bloddy Sabbath. Its Ozzy thats suing Iommi now for sole rights to the band. Itz Ozzy that sold out on TV and did one of the most awful solo careers in metal.

Fuck him. Dio > Ozzy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 02:28:38 pm by C-zom »

Offline Agent Lemon

• Troll Legend
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Funktuar
  • Awards The Disorder War Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Inductee of the Golden Dong Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been a Triumvir
  • war boner is 11.31" long.
  • has 149 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Citrus Empire
  • Ruler: Agent Lemon
METAL
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 05:49:22 pm »
I'm not really into metal that much but I like Pantera and Megadeth and some other stuff is ok too. I'll listen to some stuff posted here and see if I like it.

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 07:26:39 pm »
Sounds good Lemon. Tell me what you think

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 07:33:15 pm »
Slayer - Thrash Metal
Black Magic

South of Heaven

For the longest time, I hated Slayer. They seemed to just be another generic "Satanic" thrash metal band who everyone loved because they were edgy. I finally gave them another shot, with the song Black Magic (linked above) and finally realized what I was missing. Everything fits together perfectly - the kind of on pitch vocals, the repetitive guitar and drums, the nearly inaudible bass, even the sloppy guitar solo. While those all seem like very negative things, they fit together so perfectly to form that pinnacle of aggression that metal is all about. Unfortunately, after their album South of Heaven, they suddenly forgot how to be good and indeed became another generic "Satanic" thrash metal band who everyone loved because they were edgy.

Fun fact: Slayer's lead singer, Tom Araya, is a practicing Catholic.
fuck off

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 07:34:34 pm »
Quote from: Agent Lemon
I'm not really into metal that much but I like Pantera and Megadeth and some other stuff is ok too. I'll listen to some stuff posted here and see if I like it.
Be warned: you will hate a lot of what I posted. I'm a fan of the extreme side of metal, which is very difficult to get into.
fuck off

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 09:16:42 pm »
I used to listed to Danzig a lot back in the day.  Sure, he is such an egotistical prick that his band has left him several times, but he still keeps yelling like Grover doing a "near/far" bit.  It's simplistic, yet angry and evil all at the same time.  

Going Down to Die

Sistinas
- Very uncharacteristic of them, but I always liked it.

Quote from: Jenne

Its ozzy thats gay. Ozzy that sold out after Sabbath Bloddy Sabbath. Its Ozzy thats suing Iommi now for sole rights to the band. Itz Ozzy that sold out on TV and did one of the most awful solo careers in metal.

Fuck him. Dio > Ozzy

Dio is about one step away from hair metal.

I tend to think of Ozzy with Sabbath and Ozzy solo as completely separate entities.  I was into Ozzy as a solo long before I really knew of him with Sabbath.  So, the transition going that way only makes him better.  

Quote from: Agent Lemon
Pantara is great gym music.

Offline DeadrAlive

• RItiree - burritos
  • Baby Cactus
  • Awards One year of Random Insanity
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 09:36:40 pm »
Nile
 Dethclok
 System of a Down
 Acid Mothers Temple
 Mastodon
 Strapping Young Lad
 Amon Amarth
 Gong

Well there not all Metal  

EDIT: Frank Zappa
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:39:56 pm by DeadrAlive »

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 10:28:08 pm »
Dio is about one step away from hair metal.

I tend to think of Ozzy with Sabbath and Ozzy solo as completely separate entities. I was into Ozzy as a solo long before I really knew of him with Sabbath. So, the transition going that way only makes him better.

This is completely wrong. Dio is Epic Doom for his Sabbath career. I can agree with that about his solo career though, but thats NWOBHM. See: He's extremely similar to Priest and Maiden at the time.

Yeah, I can agree with this sentence.

Offline Electric Mango

• R a p e r o f L e o
  • Independent Republic of Orange Nations
  • Funktuar
  • I Make All Your Dreams Come True
  • Awards Was elected to be Captain Planet Has donated money for the RIA
  • has 22 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tiava.com
  • Nation: Mango Nation
  • Ruler: A Vote for Mango is Like a Mouth Full of Awesome
METAL
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 11:54:35 pm »
Quote from: Electric Mango
Metallica has been my favorite heavy metal band of all time for a long time.  I'm going to see them Oct 13th when they hit the Target Center in Minneapolis.  I can't wait.

\,,/    \,,/

I feel bad for you.

Why feel bad.  Metallica are the gods of metal, there is none higher.  Nobody rocks harder than Metallica.

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 01:23:20 pm »
In Flames - Melodic Death Metal
Moonshield

Jotun

Pretend you've never heard of this band. Their later stuff is absolutely atrocious and, unfortunately, extremely popular, but their old music is absolutely fantastic. They seamlessly blended acoustic melodies with the then-new Gothenburg melodic death metal scene, making what is, in my opinion, the two best melodeath records - The Jester Race and Whoracle - and a few other pretty good ones. Their guitar tone is heavy yet decipherable, the vocals are unmistakably death metal, but again, they are decipherable. These guys, along with Opeth, are the perfect bands for getting used to harsh vocals. Unfortunately, after Whoracle, they started a steady decline, going from such a fantastic sound to...
t
h
i
s
. Gone are the guitar melodies and subtlety, replaced by nü-metal power chords and obvious angst-filled lyrics.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:24:13 pm by EnragedLobster »
fuck off

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2009, 01:26:05 pm »
Metallica has been my favorite heavy metal band of all time for a long time.  I'm going to see them Oct 13th when they hit the Target Center in Minneapolis.  I can't wait.

\,,/    \,,/

I feel bad for you.

Why feel bad.  Metallica are the gods of metal, there is none higher.  Nobody rocks harder than Metallica.
Metallica have their moments (those being Kill 'em All and Master of Puppets), but on the whole, they are extremely generic and lost all their uniqueness when Cliff Burton died.
fuck off

Offline Skulryk

• RItiree - burritos
  • Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/demonicadvent
METAL
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2009, 02:21:37 pm »
I know -NOTHING- about Metal. My knowledge lies in Classical (through training) and Rock (because I've always been inclined towards it). BUT, there is one metal band I'm familiar with and actively follow:

Nightwish. Discovered them after a friend swapped out my iPod for her's while I was distracted yelling at a stupid driver who cut me off. I liked what I heard and bought more.

Their latest album, Dark Passion Play, is my favorite by far. Definite fav track: "Master Passion Greed." Very violent song about their last lead singer. But I also love "Whoever Brings the Night." It's a song about whores with an epic guitar solo halfway through. What more could one want?

Agent_Lemon[RIA]: i thought you were a girl for some reason
Skulryk: ... >_>

i already bloody know you know i do know things bloody hell somethings turning away from here back towards NATO

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 04:55:15 pm »
I can't help you there. Power metal is an extremely weak genre and isn't even metal, it could be more accurately called fast progressive rock. Also nightwish is one of the weaker power bands I've heard.

In Flames - Melodic Death Metal
Moonshield
Jotun

Pretend you've never heard of this band. Their later stuff is absolutely atrocious and, unfortunately, extremely popular, but their old music is absolutely fantastic. They seamlessly blended acoustic melodies with the then-new Gothenburg melodic death metal scene, making what is, in my opinion, the two best melodeath records - The Jester Race and Whoracle - and a few other pretty good ones. Their guitar tone is heavy yet decipherable, the vocals are unmistakably death metal, but again, they are decipherable. These guys, along with Opeth, are the perfect bands for getting used to harsh vocals. Unfortunately, after Whoracle, they started a steady decline, going from such a fantastic sound to...this. Gone are the guitar melodies and subtlety, replaced by nü-metal power chords and obvious angst-filled lyrics.

second'd

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 10:21:44 pm »
Power metal, you say? I'm not very well-versed in it, but here's a few bands I do know (descriptions will be shorter than usual, due to my relative lack of knowledge with regard to this genre):

Iced Earth - Power/Thrash Metal
A Question of Heaven

Dracula

Probably my second favorite power metal band, Iced Earth are amazing almost solely because of their old vocalist, Matt Barlow. That man's voice just oozes emotion when it needs to and pummels your face in when it needs to. Their reliance on Barlow's vocals really shows when you listen to the albums before and after he was in the band, which really suffer at the lack of his vocal talent.

Blind Guardian - Power Metal
Somewhere Far Beyond

The Curse of Feanor

Power metal with an awesome vocalist and nerdy concept albums (theirs being about the Silmarillion). This seems familiar.

Dragonforce - Power Metal
Valley of the Damned

Disciples of Babylon

Dragonforce are a terrible band. They weren't always, though. Their first album is one of the best power metal albums I've ever heard. Unfortunately, they ended up gobbling their own cocks and ripped themselves off more and more with each album. They suck shit now.

Symphony X - Progressive Power Metal
Sea of Lies

Inferno (Unleash the Fire)

Symphony X are extremely talented musicians. They are easily my favorite power metal band, mostly because they do power metal differently. There is a lot of prog in their music, as well. They have a few huge epics that surpass 20 minutes across numerous movements, a kind of song typically reserved for prog. They also shift time signatures and tempos regularly, most evident in Inferno, linked above.
fuck off

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 46 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317