Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Any of you have Crysis? C-zom's made something interesting.  (Read 2358 times)

C-zom

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-worry-of-newport]

Yes, yes, insert mad scientist voice and outfit.  And yes I'm still designing it. In fact, it's done! I created a map based on Lovecraftian and pagan influences, delivering the player to a strange and horror-themed port island of Newport.

The Worry of Newport was developed with the mindset and goal of telling a proper horror story. Combat and action were put on the far back burner in favor for atmosphere, tension, story, immersion and pacing--all words that a veteran horror fan should be familiar with. I designed this map from the ground up with the intent to please true horror fans, the kind that enjoy tension and immersion via the story and world more than guns and big monsters lovers.

Story

I hope to have the most unique aspect of The Worry of Newport be it's story. I've been writing horror on and off for years and I know how to craft a good narrative.This is the first time I have an actual world to work with; and create.

The story will be an original telling, not based on any existing mythos or ideas. The Worry of Newport is about a man who awakens drowning outside of Newport colony during a fierce storm. He has lost his memory and must slowly rebuild it as he's forced to undergo a tremendous amount of psychological testing. What happened to Newport before the storm? What were the citizens doing? Why is the player there? Conventional assets of story cliches are out the window; it is for you to find out what is going on.

But the clincher--and the original aspect of Worry of Newport, at least for Crysis mods-- is that it is told backwards in a non linear sense. As the player picks up logs, diaries, and sees and hears things, the player will comment on it through text as if what is going on is in the past tense. To summarize it, the story is told by the player himself, and you are playing a reenactment. The story is told by the very player discussing events that have passed, the event you are playing, to an un-named second party. As they exchange dialog and questions the game will unfold in real time. The story or narrative you read or act on will always be one step ahead of you.

Videos

The Worry Of Newport - Official Trailer

Gameplay Features:

* Dangerous traps exist all across Newport from pitfalls to spike traps to eternal darkness... watch your step!
* A strange story invites you to find out what happened next...
* Psychological horror awaits you. Camera illusions, pitch black eternity, narrative splits--and more. The linear may not be so linear...
* The story will unfold as the player investigates the island, eventually leading to a climactic end as both the past tense and present tense narratives link!
* The story will be told visually and through text from the narrator. Keep your eyes peeled for references, clues, logs and books as to what happened in Newport.
* Use your wits, your speed, your cunning to survive. Fighting the "enemy" is almost impossible, but running is not. Can you survive Newport.
* No gun play or combat will be present in The Worry of Newport.
* No nanosuit functions or skins whatsoever. Health and energy do not regenerate.
* No HUD at all, the game world is seen through the eyes of the player only.
* And more...

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:41:07 pm by C-zom »

C-zom

Re: Any of you have Crysis? C-zom's making something interesting.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:24:54 pm »
reserved
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:13:00 pm by C-zom »

C-zom

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:20 pm »
I will update you guys as I go along. So far so good on speedy progress.

Offline error

• RItiree - burritos
  • Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:53 pm »
Is this like, H.P. Lovecraft meets Myst? If so... I approve.

C-zom

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »
Is this like, H.P. Lovecraft meets Myst? If so... I approve.

More or less, yes. Lovecraft atmosphere, comparable to Myst location, and my own writing and story elements.

Offline undiscoveredbum

• Ain't gonna eat no dead man tater
  • RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
  • Awards Formerly a member of PotD Alliance Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Four years of Random Insanity Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 17.65" long.
  • has 241 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Bumfunk
  • Ruler: UndiscoveredBum
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:48:51 pm »
Sounds pretty interesting.

My connection sucks right now so I'll get back to you in a few weeks when those goddamn .png's load. >_>
http://i.imgur.com/MI08q53.pngNever argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

C-zom

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:49 pm »
<_<

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • LEGENDARY SPACE SUPER WARRIOR!
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Karma War Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Recruitment Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has been a diplomat Has donated money for the RIA Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 13.72" long.
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Shadortha
  • Ruler: Pancaeks
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 04:49:13 am »
I haz teh crysheesh!
<%Leo[RIA]> it's better to be feared than respected
<%Leo[RIA]> especially if you lost that respect mentally raping them with spam
Yeah, fuck you.
Those kind of pictures really don't do it for me. To each their own, I suppose.
Not enough goats?
Oh look, a kenny, i have found.
He likes his tits, all firm and round.
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.
His hair is purdy, it touches the ground.

Offline crazyisraelie

• RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of Great War III Has been Head of Recruitment Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 5.4" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Kingdom of Zion
  • Ruler: crazyisraelie
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:30:13 pm »
That's really awesome c-zom

Yes I am a self righteous asshole. Deal with it.

Offline Dontasemebro

• What does the custom title look like
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Two Years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Was elected to be Captain Planet
  • war boner is 12.48" long.
  • has 133 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: RIAland
  • Ruler: Dontasemebro
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 04:25:14 am »
you know what the worst thing is about designing your own crysis levels?
telling your dad that you're gay
My cat watches me have sex, he's not the only one.
Spoiler for Hiden:

You know you want to.

Offline The Angry Alien

• Angry Alien is Angry
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • The Almighty SPAM King
  • Awards Was elected to be Captain Planet Veteran of the of the Bipolar War IIDA Graduate and Cadet Has been a diplomat Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has recruited a member into the RIA Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has assisted the HoIA in the Internal Affairs dept
  • war boner is 1.86" long.
    • View Profile
    • Mah Wiki Page
  • Nation: Zagon
  • Ruler: Derp
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 08:52:49 am »
I may just have to get Crysis for this

Quote from: gangs20003
I love you Zitan, and understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar
Quote from: Leo
Final Rating: Charbroiled/Steakalicious
Let's all have a party at my place

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • LEGENDARY SPACE SUPER WARRIOR!
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Karma War Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Recruitment Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has been a diplomat Has donated money for the RIA Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 13.72" long.
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Shadortha
  • Ruler: Pancaeks
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 04:28:28 pm »
you know what the worst thing is about designing your own crysis levels?
telling your dad that you're gay
I may just have to get Crysis for this
...>_>...
<%Leo[RIA]> it's better to be feared than respected
<%Leo[RIA]> especially if you lost that respect mentally raping them with spam
Yeah, fuck you.
Those kind of pictures really don't do it for me. To each their own, I suppose.
Not enough goats?
Oh look, a kenny, i have found.
He likes his tits, all firm and round.
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.
His hair is purdy, it touches the ground.

Offline The Angry Alien

• Angry Alien is Angry
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • The Almighty SPAM King
  • Awards Was elected to be Captain Planet Veteran of the of the Bipolar War IIDA Graduate and Cadet Has been a diplomat Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has recruited a member into the RIA Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has assisted the HoIA in the Internal Affairs dept
  • war boner is 1.86" long.
    • View Profile
    • Mah Wiki Page
  • Nation: Zagon
  • Ruler: Derp
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 04:39:48 pm »
Shut up you got beeoch-slapped with a fish
 :trout:

Quote from: gangs20003
I love you Zitan, and understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar
Quote from: Leo
Final Rating: Charbroiled/Steakalicious
Let's all have a party at my place

Offline Pattara

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War
  • war boner is 1.95" long.
  • has 2 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://sites.google.com/site/pattnpage/
  • Nation: tailan
  • Ruler: pattara
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 07:03:51 am »
crysis cant run on my pc :facepalm:
Quote from: Thunder Strike
Quote from: Myrrh
Quote from: Viper6525D
This is even bigger than the thing inside ThunderStrike's pants.
What isn't?
That's not what you said last night.
Quote from: Thunder Strike
One dildo shaped nuke per gay member.
Final Rating: You'remother'sawhore/Trebeck

C-zom

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 02:29:53 am »
The Port Update #2

"Here? Again? I swore to the Gods I would never return... I swore to myself..."

Newport's, er, Port is coming along very nicely. I'm done touching up the models, lighting/TOD, rain (I love the rain.) and material effects. I can gladly present to you guys now the whole playable area in which the player will be. I think I should go ahead now and say that this whole map is detail over quantity, and I cannot promise any more than 30-60 minutes of game play.

Improvements since last update:

-TOD Fixed
-Water rebalanced and calibrated
-Finalized rain
-Ambient sounds
-Flowgraph on start (still WIP, but removes hud/weapons/nanosuit abilities)
-Models readjusted
-More "Port" added

The Port is going to be a windy, stormy, creepy area for the player to swim in and explore on top of. As many little touches as I can think of will be added up, and as many "triggered" events as I can make based on my limited flowgraph skill will be thrown in. Enough promises, we're all here for the pictures right?

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7186/31533279.png
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/3725/32784111.png
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7506/57005688.png
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5563/37041301.png
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9908/55496977.png
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9484/79185210.png
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8871/41018025.png
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2032/88274597.png

C-zom

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 11:32:07 pm »
It's been almost two weeks of adjusting, tweaking, and so on. Immense progress has been made. And, for reference, this topic is always the least updated. I have two going on in crymod and gamefaqs respectively which are updated frequently. It's because you guys suck.

In the two weeks:

-TOD, lighting, fog and weather has been perfected
-Story has been outlined, narrative written, triggers and polish added
-The Port section finished
-Flowgraph, modelling, vegetation and more has been learned
-Etc etc

The Story of Newport

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7896/newport.png

Next up on the update checklist: the story. Steady progress has been made on the port, the island, and all things related to this mod. But what is it about?

The player awakens underwater outside of Newport. As they wander the port looking for supplies, clues and a way out the narration will unfold. Newport is told in the past tense, while the player is in the present tense. In short; this is a story being told and the player is forced to conform to what has already happened in the eyes of the protagonist. You are playing a retelling.

This allows for huge legroom in atmosphere, narration, and also mission design. "I saw the destroyed bridge and knew I couldn't use it. I found a ladder behind me." Is one example once the player encounters a busted bridge. But why is the player retelling it? And to who? This dimension is in and of itself a story, building to the conclusion.

The story will be an original telling, not based on any existing mythos or ideas, merely relating to the atmosphere of Lovecraft. I have been writing horror for many years and this will be no exception. I will write, and "direct", Newport.

Newport will allow the players to revisit the post-mortem history of the colony. View logs, diaries, and discover ancient secrets that all foretell of Newport's current state--and also why the player is there. Traps, fires, psychological horror and more will be deterrents in your goal to find the truth and escape. I promise a completely unique and terrifying experience to a particular niche of gamers in mind.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:33:46 pm by C-zom »

Offline sircrimson

• RIAer
  • Cactus
  • Awards The Disorder War RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 1.18" long.
  • has 31 llamas
    • View Profile
    • My nation
  • Nation: derpiten
  • Ruler: Elderago
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
sounds cool but my computer is so ancient and crap that the thought of running crysis makes me burst  burst....
QUOTE (Moth @ Apr 18 2009, 09:54 PM) *
Star Trek is better than Star Wars.
I could handle the tantrums, the temple, the virginity, the war with Kenny, even the rampant nerdyness of this topic; but there's a line buddy boy and you just crossed it.

Offline undiscoveredbum

• Ain't gonna eat no dead man tater
  • RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
  • Awards Formerly a member of PotD Alliance Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Four years of Random Insanity Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 17.65" long.
  • has 241 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Bumfunk
  • Ruler: UndiscoveredBum
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 10:55:21 pm »
damn it the pngs aren't done downloading yet.
http://i.imgur.com/MI08q53.pngNever argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 42 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317