Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: I use Ubuntu 10.04 more than I use Windows 7 now, ask me anything.  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • The Taste of Jeff Goldblum
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Karma War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry
  • war boner is 9.5" long.
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
My desktop

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2333/screenshotfz.png
I use Ubuntu 10.04 more than I use Windows 7 now, ask me anything.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The dock program is GLX-Dock (Cairo-Dock with OpenGL) and it acts like Windows 7's dock, the nerd stats is conky.

Ubuntu 10.04 is their latest LTS (Long Term Support) version, which pretty much means they'll keep updating it for three years (normal releases only get 18 months of support).

My opinion on Ubuntu?

After their 2006 LTS version, every single release after that was an unstable piece of shit. It took them another four years this release something that actually make me happy.

A default install of Ubuntu 10.04 is full of stupid shit like UbuntuOne which is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever seen probably. UbuntuOne is literally a Facebook/MySpace clone based around people using Ubuntu. Canonical, the company that sponsors the Ubuntu project, thought this was a good idea.

For some ungodly reason, they have removed the GNOME volume desktop applet and combined it's functions with the UbuntuOne applet.

HOW DO THESE TWO THINGS RELATE AT ALL? I thought Linux developers were a bunch of logical nerds.

It also includes Evolution which has some stupid alert process which is on all the time.

Here is a list of things I remove off the top of my head

- Any reference to UbuntuOne
- Evolution
- Firefox (Glorious Chrome Master Race)
- Totem and RhythmBox (mplayer and VLC for me...aka something that works)

Things I immediately install
- gcc (with the build-essential package)
- I compile mplayer because I don't trust Ubuntu packages for mplayer
- VLC (from packages)
- Glorious Chrome Web Browser
- Epiphany Web Browser (no idea why this or Chrome isn't default for Ubuntu anyway)

Overall, I am...

...very happy with this release.

My only real issues come from older Linux programs that don't know what to do with something that isn't ALSA and OSS. This is caused by Pulseaudio which is the Linux version of working sound because ALSA and OSS are such a piece of fucking shit. I am glad glorious Pulseaudio has replaced crap. Most of these issues are resolved by manually editing config files or killing Pulseaudio.

Pulseaudio can also do that neat Windows 7 thing where you can adjust the volume for separate programs. It literally just works.

Other than that, I have the most stable operating system I have ever used besides Windows 7.

So, anyway, since I've used Ubuntu on and off for about six years now, I can probably answer a lot of questions regarding it. Feel free to ask them, I'll take you seriously.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:42:14 pm by Abe Simpson »

Offline Shadow Smudger

• Golden Sun
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Funktuar
  • Venus Adept
  • Awards Three years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been a Triumvir Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been a diplomat Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 11.75" long.
  • has 83 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://ian.centasm.net
  • Nation: Shadow Empire
  • Ruler: Shadow Slayer
Re: I use Ubuntu 10.04 more than I use Windows 7 now, ask me anything.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:21:37 pm »
sudo get me a sandwich bitch

[19:44] <%AbeSimpson[RIA]> ThunderStrike: Please stop trolling
---------------------------
[18:05:16] <&Delta1212[RIA]> Congrats, you are now Shadow
[19:30] <&Delta1212[RIA]> I already know I'm too smart for my own good anyway
[23:22:43] <&Liz> yeah ShadowSlayer[RIA] isnt bad looking tbh
[13:17:52] <&Delta1212[RIA]> Xiphin' in the front seat, Lizzin' in the back seat
[13:17:57] <&Delta1212[RIA]> Gotta make your mind up
[13:18:28] <&Delta1212[RIA]> Which seat can you take

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been Head of Military Operations Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has colonized the Moon! RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 21.03" long.
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Jenne
  • Ruler: Jenne
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:16:03 pm »
Maybe I can get my Ubuntu server working correctly again.  It's stuck in some upgrade tard look where it supposedly had a partial install of a newer version, so it can't finish running updates.  That and it keeps asking me what version I want to boot to, but which one works is not always consistent.  I shut it down when I went on vacation in August and have not booted it back up since.  It's only a backup server anyway, so there is nothing on it I don't have elsewhere.  But it still pisses me off.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Karma War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:30:14 pm »
Ubuntu Server is crapware.

If you want to use Ubuntu for a server, get a normal Ubuntu install and select the install method "Command Line System".

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been Head of Military Operations Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has colonized the Moon! RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »
I did install the regular version.  It's basically just an Ubuntu desktop with the HD as a shared network drive.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:35:56 pm »
Oh, I see.

Yeah, I never trust the online distro update anymore either.

The next time you are feeling lucky, try this...

Boot the system into rescue mode with root prompt from an Ubuntu disc.

Code: [Select]
apt-get install update-manager-core

edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal  

do-release-upgrade

C-zom

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 07:34:36 pm »
I've been meaning to install 10.10 RC on a partition, I really don't like how slow windows 7 is. It's fast, sure, but compared to linux? It's night and day. I played with ubuntu a couple months ago and was astonished how fast it was. To be completely honest, I might just make Ubuntu my main install and W7 for games. Would this be a logical choice? I'm not a software noob obviously, but I just have been pretty damn lazy in making the switch.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:05 pm »
I've been meaning to install 10.10 RC on a partition, I really don't like how slow windows 7 is. It's fast, sure, but compared to linux? It's night and day. I played with ubuntu a couple months ago and was astonished how fast it was. To be completely honest, I might just make Ubuntu my main install and W7 for games. Would this be a logical choice? I'm not a software noob obviously, but I just have been pretty damn lazy in making the switch.

To me, RC for Ubuntu means Really Crap.

I can almost guarantee that 10.10 is going to be an unstable piece of shit until 11.04 is almost out.

I would start with 10.04 then later when it's actually released, go for 10.10. I honestly will probably play with 10.10 when the final release is out, but I am definitely not upgrading right away.

As far as the dual boot thing goes, that is exactly what I do. Windows 7 is for fun, Ubuntu for work. There are ways to share files between the two operating systems without issues nowadays.

Wine is pretty cool sometimes. Don't expect it to play any brand new computer games, but sometimes you just need to use a Windows program for whatever reason. Like MSPaint. There really isn't a legitimate MSPaint replacement on Linux. That stupid gpaint can go to hell and god do I love waiting a whole 20 seconds for GIMP to load.

I know you can play anything from Blizzard flawlessly on Linux.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20882

Even StarCraft II.

Oh and that thing.

Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal

You can get them working just near perfectly, but it may take some effort.

By the way, more or less, Linux isn't going to make you happy if you are looking for speed or stability (as a desktop). Honestly, Windows 7 is pretty fucking stable for me. I've never had a single big issue with it. I use Ubuntu because I can get the job done faster with it.

Flash is going to crash your browser way more, by the way. But, hey, it probably won't take over your computer though.

C-zom

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:39:07 am »
Pretty good summary of my feelings on ubuntu after a couple hours. It is fast as hell on startup and simplistic, it gets the job DONE for serious applications or email or communication or a dozen other niche IP's. However, for average PC use or gaming, I'm still going to stick to windows 7. Ubuntu seems redundant if all I'm going to do is music/talk/browse/watch movies since it's a little more complicated to install programs you want and it's also redundant since, as you said, windows 7 is very stable.

If any idiots are still using windows XP or something, they need to get their asses over to ubuntu imo. But until 11 or 12 comes out I think windows 7 is the better every-day OS choice.

Offline Snowbound Milk

• God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Two Years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Formerly a member of Sol Has donated money for the RIA Was elected to be Captain Planet RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War One year of Random Insanity Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade IIDA Graduate and Cadet RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 11.47" long.
  • has 140 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 10:32:47 am »
My girlfriend's Dad started spouting about how great his mac was the other day. I like the guy, but I almost clocked him so I could either take his 'working' mac, or to shut him up.

Ubuntu was good for me for the reasons C-Zom/Memento listed, but once I decided I was into things better than minesweeper, I dropped it for XP. Fuck I want windows 7, this vista shit is almost as bad as the training wheels Apple puts you in.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 12:59:01 pm »
Honestly, no Linux is going to replace Windows (at least not right now).

The reason you would run a Linux to surf the web, watch movies, watch TV shows, and other normal every day activities is because...

...you enjoy doing those things with Linux.

It may sound lame, but honestly that is what it is for most people.

I mean, you could mention that Ubuntu will automatically update all the programs you get through repositories, but the biggest factor is the enjoyment factor.

If you enjoy using a broken OS, you'll probably do a good job using it.

Same thing with the Mac honestly. If you enjoy using OS X, you will probably be able to use your computer better.

I honestly do not like using OS X that much, but I understand why people use it. I'm also not very fond of an OS I can't install on whatever computer I want without bullshit involved.

Offline crazyisraelie

• RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of Great War III Has been Head of Recruitment Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 5.4" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Kingdom of Zion
  • Ruler: crazyisraelie
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 08:03:44 pm »
Why are you such a faggot?

Yes I am a self righteous asshole. Deal with it.

Offline Pattara

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War
  • war boner is 1.95" long.
  • has 2 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://sites.google.com/site/pattnpage/
  • Nation: tailan
  • Ruler: pattara
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:29 pm »
sudo apt-get cake
Quote from: Thunder Strike
Quote from: Myrrh
Quote from: Viper6525D
This is even bigger than the thing inside ThunderStrike's pants.
What isn't?
That's not what you said last night.
Quote from: Thunder Strike
One dildo shaped nuke per gay member.
Final Rating: You'remother'sawhore/Trebeck

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:55:10 pm »
Why are you such a faggot?

Eddddddgggggggggey

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 10:16:54 pm »
Oh, I see.

Yeah, I never trust the online distro update anymore either.

The next time you are feeling lucky, try this...

Boot the system into rescue mode with root prompt from an Ubuntu disc.

apt-get install update-manager-core

edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal 

do-release-upgrade
Downloading now.  Damn thing is going to take 2 hours, so I guess I won't be able to fuck with it until morning. 

Offline Koorosheh Kabir

• Gravedigger
  • RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept
  • war boner is 11.82" long.
  • has 21 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Eranshahr
  • Ruler: Yazdegerd
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:17 pm »
wtf is Ubuntu...

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 08:33:17 am »
Upgrade seems to have gone perfectly.  Pretty purple background.  But now I am having a problem with my Samba share.  I can putty to the machine, so I know it's on the network.  I also recreated the share just to make sure, but I still cannot get to the share.  Is there a better way to do it?

edit:  Fixed it.  For whatever reason, even though I recreated the share, it was not browseable.  Then I had to actually reload and restart the smb.conf.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:59:47 pm by Jenne »

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 01:05:29 pm »
Yeah, basically with Linux, you'll need to restart the proper daemon every time you edit a setting for it. I don't have much experience with Samba, but I imagine that might have something to do with it.

The next time you have problems with Samba, use either of the following

sudo restart smbd
sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart
It's the "Ubuntu Way" to use the first command, but the second should work fine as well.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 01:07:37 pm »
Oh yeah, and if I haven't posted this before, if you are looking to install something for Linux, please do yourself a favor and Google for Ubuntu instructions.

Ubuntu really can be a pain in the ass in this aspect. There is almost always an "Ubuntu Way" to do something.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 06:02:36 pm »
Yeah, basically with Linux, you'll need to restart the proper daemon every time you edit a setting for it. I don't have much experience with Samba, but I imagine that might have something to do with it.

The next time you have problems with Samba, use either of the following

sudo restart smbd
sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart
It's the "Ubuntu Way" to use the first command, but the second should work fine as well.
Yeah, I had tried that, but I needed to reload first.  Just restarting didn't do it.  But, even doing that, I had to manually modify the smb.conf file to allow the folder to be browsable (it was commented out).  The GUI didn't have an option for that, though I have no fucking clue why.  It has a writable and a visible option.  The latter should have done it, but it didn't. 

I don't really use the system for much other than backup.  I tried using is for my PS3 media server, but the processor can't keep up.  The min recommended is 1.7 GHz, which is exactly what it is (Celeron).  It plays small stuff just fine, but if I try to stream a 720p BlueRay rip, it chokes like Leo on TS's cock.  Of course, my XP laptop does the same thing (1.7 GHz Core2Duo). 

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 1.142 seconds with 49 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317