Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Buck Turgidson

• Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!
  • RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • He'll see the big board!
  • Awards Has been Head of Recruitment Has been Head of Military Operations The Disorder War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 11.13" long.
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Spank my ass and call me Judy.
  • Nation: Darwinium of Slugs
  • Ruler: GrilledSlug
Ender's Game
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:43:38 am »
I am so fucking excited about this.  I know it is a ways off, buy the preview looks amazing, and this is one of my top 3 books of all time.  This is definitely the best book written by an anti-queer Mormon Jesus freak.

ENDER'S GAME -- Trailer

Offline Mogar

• >Your Ad Here<
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • RIctuar
  • I am Mogar you see?
  • Awards Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Dave War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been Head of Recruitment
  • war boner is 21.79" long.
  • has 173 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Mogatopia
  • Ruler: Mogar
Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:23:41 am »
i will be going to this midnight screening.
[20:36:10] <@Jenne> I expect you to go full retard.  I'd talking to those who I have a reasonable expectation of following orders
Spoiler for Hiden:

]00 45 51[ <%Croix> look at me motherfucker im on a motherfucking boar
]00 46 05[ * Quits: %Xiphosis[GOD] (~XiphosisG@coldfront-5B5347D7.cust.wildblue.net) (Quit: Croix made me do it)
]00 46 05[ <%Lanna> XD
]00 46 19[ <%Mogar> Croix killed xiphosis more at 11
]00 46 43[ <%Croix> I just won cybernations

Offline Arsenal 10

• Officer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • SPIEZ MASTER!
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Four years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a diplomat Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Foreign Affairs
  • war boner is 19.29" long.
  • has 250 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Goonville
  • Ruler: Arsenal 10
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:58:14 am »
Looks good. You're right though, November is a long way away.
Chillaxin since 3/23/2008

Quote from: Moth
On the contrary, I think we're being very unserious about this. If we were serious about this situation, it would have been settled in a matter of hours.
Quote from: cctmsp13
If you're good enough for Arsenal, then you're good enough for me.
Quote from: pielord47
Arsenal, have I mentioned how large my mother told me your cannon was? She said it was HUGE.

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Has been Head of Recruitment Has been Head of Military Operations The Disorder War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:43:14 am »
This was actually a prequel to Speaker for the Dead, which would make a wierdass movie.  If I recall there were Ewok-like creatures that turned into trees and talked to each other when they died.  I mean, if it were a competition to see just how much more hokey you could make Ewoks, I might get it.  That said, it made for an awesome book.

My favorite novels competing for first place:

1) Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
1) The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
1) Armor - John Steakly
1) Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
1) A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
1) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Is your taste as erudite as mine?

Offline shahman

• New Polar Order
  • Cactus
  • Polar
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Mesozoa
  • Ruler: Shahman
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:42:44 pm »
The rest of the series was removed from Ender's Game by (literally) eons.  They are in a different setting, and consist of different themes and ideas. 

Personally, I also loved Ender's Shadow.
From NpO

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »
Not all of the series - one of them at least was set before the Bugger war.  Incidentally, wasn't that Ender's Shadow?

I only really liked Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead...  Now if he threw in some very oral bi cheerleaders, some of the rest of the series might have held my attention, but I suppose that was unlikely.

Offline Ogaden

• Spammer of Inboxes
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • I wwebsite as on the internet
  • Awards Veteran of the Baldr War Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been a Triumvir Veteran of the Dave War Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry IIDA Graduate and Cadet Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat Has been Head of Foreign Affairs
  • war boner is 15.3" long.
  • has 490 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.abtirsi.com
  • Nation: Ogaden
  • Ruler: James Dahl
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:27:09 pm »
Orson Scott Card
Ayn Rand
Robert Heinlein

Card and Heinlein are both favorites of mine too despite being deranged in some way :v
Rand's stuff I haven't read.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:29:20 pm by Ogaden »
Ogaden, Spammer of Inboxes, Giver of Happy Endings, Retard Savant, Buzzkill Extraordinaire, Protector of Mexico.
:ria:

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:26:19 am »
What else would you put on the same level?  I am always hunting for my next book, like Leo hunts for a girl to turn him down.

Offline Mogar

• >Your Ad Here<
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • RIctuar
  • I am Mogar you see?
  • Awards Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Dave War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been Head of Recruitment
  • war boner is 21.79" long.
  • has 173 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Mogatopia
  • Ruler: Mogar
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 07:37:47 pm »
Shadow was set in the same exact time period, and some of that storyline will be included into the movie, Earth Unaware and Earth Afire are set before ender's game in the first formic war.
[20:36:10] <@Jenne> I expect you to go full retard.  I'd talking to those who I have a reasonable expectation of following orders
Spoiler for Hiden:

]00 45 51[ <%Croix> look at me motherfucker im on a motherfucking boar
]00 46 05[ * Quits: %Xiphosis[GOD] (~XiphosisG@coldfront-5B5347D7.cust.wildblue.net) (Quit: Croix made me do it)
]00 46 05[ <%Lanna> XD
]00 46 19[ <%Mogar> Croix killed xiphosis more at 11
]00 46 43[ <%Croix> I just won cybernations

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 02:19:00 am »
2 of the books on my list were by authors who wrote only one book.  One of them then killed himself.

Can you guess which one?

Offline cctmsp13

• Viceroy
  • Funktuar
  • Viceroy of the RIA - Maru!
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Economics Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Was elected to be Captain Planet Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept
  • war boner is 19.11" long.
  • has 318 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: korinekia
  • Ruler: cctmsp13
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 04:13:50 am »
Card said Speaker of the Dead was unfilmable, so I don't think Ender's Game will get a sequel, to your challenge

1) Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card - wrote speaker and bunch of other stuff
2) The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand - wrote Atlas Shrugged
3) Armor - John Steakly
4) Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein - wrote lots of things
5) A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
6) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams - was part of a trilogy

so that leaves #3 and #5.  Since I have a 50/50 chance (and am not going to cheat with Google), I'm going to guess
3) Armor - John Steakly

I'm keeping this banner.

<cctmsp13[RIA]> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9U9qGGYmo
<Drummer[FF]> lmao
<Croix> what the fucking shit
<Croix> did i just click cctmsp13[RIA]
<cctmsp13[RIA]> not sure
<Croix> those two girls murdered a robot, and the robot seemed to enjoy it.
<cctmsp13[RIA]> oh that
<Croix> then they... i don't even know, charged up a portable generator on their vibrators?
<Croix> the fuck is wrong with you:X

cctmsp13, President of Korinekia
Viceroy of The RIA
Sovereign of the NPL

Offline cctmsp13

• Viceroy
  • Funktuar
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Economics Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Was elected to be Captain Planet Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept
  • has 318 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:50 am »
What else would you put on the same level?  I am always hunting for my next book, like Leo hunts for a girl to turn him down.

I put Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein as the 3 best sci-fi writers (in volume if nothing else), since you have a Heinlein, I'll offer a suggestion from each of the other two

For Clarke I'd suggest "The City and the Stars".  There's another book "Against the Fall of Night" that's basically the same (City was a rewrite of Against, I think City is the better of the two.)

There's a sequel to the above, Beyond the fall of Night, it was written by another author, and is crap, avoid it.

For Asimov, Nemesis

I'm keeping this banner.

<Drummer[FF]> lmao
<cctmsp13[RIA]> not sure
<cctmsp13[RIA]> oh that
<Croix> then they... i don't even know, charged up a portable generator on their vibrators?

Viceroy of The RIA
Sovereign of the NPL

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 07:08:19 am »
John Kennedy Toole wrote his one and only book, A Confederacy of Dunces (name taken from the Jonathan Swift quote), over a period of more than a decade, and then killed himself.  His distraught mother boarded up his room until her old age, and 15 years after his death, when she could not keep up with the house any longer, re-opened the room.  There she found the manuscript, and spent 4 years trying to get publishers to read it.  They all thought she was just a crazy old lady, heartbroken over the death of her son.  Finally an English professor at the University of Mississippi read it and could not believe how good the book was.  He got it published, and it won the Pullitzer Prize the next year.  It is the single funniest book I have ever read, and it is impossible to understand that someone with such an incredible sense of humor could commit suicide...

Armor is a kickass action packed Starship troopers like introspection on the effect of violence on the soldier's heart.  It is really out of this world, and basically consists of 2 connected stories.

I like Clarke too - 2001 was awesome.  I will read the City next (finally getting through Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and it will make my top list too by the looks of it).  I have tried Asimov a few times, but have actually abandoned 3 of his books after getting 1/2 way through.  It was a long time ago, so maybe I should try again with Nemesis.

C'mon - gimme more!

Offline cctmsp13

• Viceroy
  • Funktuar
  • has 318 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »
it seems my 50/50 chance failed me

If you liked 2001, there's also 2010. 2061, and 3001.  2010 was pretty good, the others didn't do as well.

Going by where he won his awards, you should also look at "Fountains of Paradise", but that doesn't really seem to fit your tastes.  (It's not as philosophical, basically being a very well done story about a giant engineering project.)

Nemesis is a standalone book, unlike a lot of his that are connected to the Robots-Empire-Foundation Universe, so that may help.

I'm keeping this banner.

<Drummer[FF]> lmao
<cctmsp13[RIA]> not sure
<cctmsp13[RIA]> oh that

Viceroy of The RIA
Sovereign of the NPL

Offline cctmsp13

• Viceroy
  • Funktuar
  • has 318 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 01:45:41 pm »
Orson Scott Card
Ayn Rand
Robert Heinlein

Card and Heinlein are both favorites of mine too despite being deranged in some way :v
Rand's stuff I haven't read.

Not to offend Slug's taste in books, but a lot of Rand's stuff comes down to "Be Independent, Do your own thing, and then be a jerk to everyone else."

I'm keeping this banner.

<Drummer[FF]> lmao
<cctmsp13[RIA]> not sure
<cctmsp13[RIA]> oh that

Viceroy of The RIA
Sovereign of the NPL

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:24 pm »
I haven't read any other Rand, but the Fountainhead offers a spectacular insight into resolve vs compromise.  Strength vs weakness.  Choice vs consequences.  Strength from within vs from outside.  That said, I thought it was arrogant in a few ways - it was pro-artist, and anti-capitalist in so far that making what people want is wrong, you should instead suffer for your art and 'build it and they will come', which has long since been shown to be a failing business proposition.  I agree that she says 'be independent, do your own thing', but I think if anything she thins you should be fair to others on your own terms.  I bet she would deliver a hell of a lecture on negotiation skills.

I know she's a crazy tart - I once read that she left Russia during the revolution, and moved to the US.  When she once was protesting against the US gov't immigration laws at the time, someone told her that if she didn't like America, she should go back to where she came from.  She answered "I chose to come to this country - what did you ever do to earn your citizenship besides being born here?"

I will try Nemesis next.  As for Heinlein, I should have also mentioned Stranger in a Strange Land - that was a weirdass book but I got a huge kick out of the frequent tangents.  I especially loved his critique of Rodin's sculpture of the old woman, where he said something like 'it takes a great artist can make a sculpture of an old woman, with wrinkly skin and worn expression, but only a master could make you see the little girl inside her.'

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 46 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317