Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Holy Fuck I need help with flash  (Read 1946 times)

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
Holy Fuck I need help with flash
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:44:12 pm »
I've got like 3 things i have to do in flash for 2morrow at school. im gonna be doing this all day. i need help though with some of the actionscript, as i am not sure what to do about it. I am requesting the help of the RIA to fix my stupid little issue with one of them.

the smallest thing is, i have to have 2 textboxes, one input and one dynamic. I need to make the input texbox have a number in it and the dynamic, on button press (or release) to show that numbers absolute value. I have the following code on the button:

[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']on (release)
{
   if (i.text >= 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text
   } else if (i.text < 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text / -1
   } else if (i.text >= "a" and a.text <= "z")
   {
      a.text = "NaN"
   } else if (i.text >= "A" and a.text <= "Z")
   {
      a.text = "NaN"
   }
}

i = initial value (input textbox)
a = absolute value (dynamic textbox)

its supposed to take the number and put it in the dynamic textbox, if its less than 0 then it divides it by -1 and then outputs it, and if it isn't a letter it outputs "NaN" which would mean "Not a Number". I also need it to output "N/A" when there's nothing in the input box and the button is pressed.

at the very least, tell me what i'm doing wrong and how to fix it please.

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • Awards Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Dave War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Illuminati War One year of Random Insanity Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Military Operations
  • war boner is 6.76" long.
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Pterrydactyl
  • Ruler: Pterrydactyl
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:57:04 pm »
By button, are you using mouseclick, keyboard key, or just an overall button?

BTW, it helps to put your else if statements on a seperate line then your {} or your Squigglies (as we call them).

also, are you using CS3 or CS4?  Actionscript 2 or 3?

SOME MOAR INFO PLS.

One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's stop calling it trolling
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's call it what it really is, okay?
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Art

Quote from: Leo
Some days I think Mia is totally wrong and that I am completely normal. Today is one of those days.

Quote from: Dontasemebro
I just got off the phone with my ex and I know that no females are reasonable

Quote from: Abe Simpson
Leo
I think you are the most annoying poster on this site, honestly.
You are like two llamavores with twice as many animals fucking.
Your posts make me reconsider how long I've been here.
I honestly wonder if you are actually Chris Tucker.

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:59:30 pm »
Flash MX because thats all the school has, so actionscript 1

i have CS4 on my computer but it doesnt convert so my teacher wouldnt be able to see how i did the code, so i had to install flash MX on my computer. anyway.

its a click button. on(release) and whatnot. its actually the blue arcade button in the common libraries (or common libraries in the classic folder in CS4)

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • Awards Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Dave War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Illuminati War One year of Random Insanity Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Military Operations
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:03:56 pm »
well, for outputting if noting is in there, try something like:

else if (i.text >= "")
{
a.text = "NULL"
}

That should give you it outputting "Null" if noone puts anything in the next box.

Also, do you have your variables and functions somewhere else?  I'm going to assume this isn't the whole program...

One se,c your code is ALL jacked up...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 03:05:46 pm by Apophis775 »
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Some days I think Mia is totally wrong and that I am completely normal. Today is one of those days.

Leo

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:08:27 pm »
try this:

[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']on (release)
{
   if (i.text >= 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text
   } else if (i.text < 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text / -1
   } else if (i.text >= "a" and i.text <= "z")
   {
      a.text = "NaN"
   } else if (i.text >= "A" and i.text <= "Z")
   {
      a.text = "NaN"
   }
}

You had to change the a.text is the second because your a.text is undefined (or null, or whatever the default in variable declariations sets it to).

It has to be that if the contents of i.text are between A and Z.  you had it set so that if I.text is > A and A.text (currently undefined), is <  Z.   That doesn't work.  Especially since when it meets a condition, it changes the contents of a.text anyway.

Understand me or am I just confusing?
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:11:10 pm »
I think i get it

and this is actually everything. i dont seem to work with textboxes well >_>

is the code in the codebox u put fixed up a bit?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 03:11:56 pm by KingRanter »

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:13:17 pm »
-_-'

anyway, try the code I posted.  If it works, AWESOME.  If not, I'll check back in about a half hour and might have a solution.  I'm going to register for classes at the moment...

yea, codebox code is fixed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 03:13:54 pm by Apophis775 »
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:17:31 pm »
ok i had something like this before, with the same result

the absulute values are showing up with the numbers, but when letters are inputted it outputs the same letter and when i click the button with nothing inputted, nothing shows up

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 04:15:03 pm »
Oh one sec.

let me fix the code-box.  I never added the Null for "" code...
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 04:24:44 pm »
Ok, heres the new box:

{
   if (i.text >= 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text
   } else if (i.text < 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text / -1
   } else if (i.text >= "a" and i.text <= "z")
   {
      a.text = "NaN"
   } else if (i.text >= "A" and i.text <= "Z")
   {
      a.text = "NaN"
   } else if (i.text = "")
{
a.text = "N/A"
}
}

I can't tab because internet explorer won't let me, and I don't have access to a computer with flash at the moment.

Also, to fix your problem, there are a few things I can suggest

Maybe throw in a function listener for any key that isn't a number-key to be ignored, or to list the error "NOT A NUMBER".
Or, throw in an if statement that says "If i.text is a string, not a number, then a.text = "Not A Number"."  Something like that.  I don't have flash in front of me, and I'm trying to work from memory.

then again, I use AS 3 so... yea.

Oh, try this for a qucik test:

Adjust the  else if (i.text >= "A" and i.text <= "Z") line to  else if (i.text = "A")

then, run the program and put A into the textbox and see if the dynamic posts "NaN" as the response.  If ti works, let me know and change the code back.  I'll work on trying to figure it out.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline rlrcstrnthusiast

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards The Disorder War Five years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Four years of Random Insanity Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 21.55" long.
  • has 263 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Dilbobagginese
  • Ruler: rlrcstrnthusiast
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:25:22 pm »
Good god. Don't get me started on formatting. @_@

Give a black man a dumbbell, and he'll find a way to work out every muscle with it.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3. Power Supply: Antec 80+ rated 750 Watt. Processor: Intel CoreI7 2600K @ 3.4GHz.  RAM: 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Mem @1600 MHz. Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti graphics.

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:23:05 pm »
that quick test turned out false

the new code doesnt seem to be doing anything different than the old code

also, about one of my other things, how can i get a bunch of objects to turn invisible at once using a button, and then use the same button to turn them visible again?

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:30:48 pm »
Yea, the code is HORRIBLY formatted.

Part of the problem, might be that you didn't declare the variables as string or interger.

hell, you didn't even DECLARE variables.  I wish I had CS3 or 4 of my laptop so I could fiddle with code till I get what I want...

Do you have to use the code you've written, or can we re-write the code?
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 06:38:10 pm »
How about this:

{
   if (i.text >= 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text
   } else if (i.text < 0)
   {
      a.text = i.text / -1
   } else if (i.text != 0 and i.text !>0 and i.text !<0)
   {
      a.text = "NaN"
   }

}

try that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:48:52 pm by Apophis775 »
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:44:30 pm »
Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 1, Frame=1: Line 9: ')' expected
     } else if (i.text != 0 and i.text !>0 and i.text !<0)

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 06:49:13 pm »
Sorry, I fixed it. 1 too many }'s.  It should work now.   Copy+paste the code-box.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 06:55:14 pm »
no its the same problem, i fixed the extra } on my own, but apparently theres a ) thats expected or something

what i sent you was the exact debugger message

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 07:07:35 pm »
oh, also, because of that issue it seems that the button doesnt do anything

Offline Vector

• RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 09:20:38 pm »
Quote from: KingRanter
Flash MX because thats all the school has, so actionscript 1

i have CS4 on my computer but it doesnt convert so my teacher wouldnt be able to see how i did the code, so i had to install flash MX on my computer. anyway.

its a click button. on(release) and whatnot. its actually the blue arcade button in the common libraries (or common libraries in the classic folder in CS4)

cs4 >_>

[!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Flask)--][div class='quotetop']QUOTE (Flask)[div class='quotemain'][!--quotec--]"Former HoFA, Remember? Back When Moth Was Good At Government. When The Crops Were Healthy And The Birds Sang. The Birds Don't Sing Any moar. Moth Had The Birds Executed By Firing Squad The Day Of His Election To Triumvirate. Now The Crops Are Dead. Sucks."[/quote]

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 10:01:50 pm »
ok, i'll just get one of my friends at school to give me the code from his. it's gonna be a freak nuicance for the both of us but there's no other way i'll be able to drive myself to do anymore of this tonight. good news though, i finished the other 2 things, i might post them sometime >_>

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 45 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317