Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: The last version of Ubuntu that I liked will stop being supported in April  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • The Taste of Jeff Goldblum
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Illuminati War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 9.5" long.
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
Welp, time to go back to Windows 95

Offline Alfred von Tirpitz

• The Bear Cavalry
  • Cactus
  • Awards Forever Proliferating ♥ Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation
  • war boner is 12.86" long.
  • has 4 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: K252strin
  • Ruler: Alfred von Tirpitz
yeah, 11.10 is FUBAR. Also thinking of moving back to windoze for a bit.

C-zom

You should try Linux Mint dude, it's damn good.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Illuminati War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
Honestly, it's probably not a bad suggestion because it is an Ubuntu derivative and Debian is a big deal to me.

If I don't use Mint, I'll probably be using fucking Debian. I'm not excited for this.

How's the GNOME 2 desktop for it?

Offline Locke

• Cactus
  • True and Righeous Hero of CN!
  • has 6 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Alestor
  • Ruler: Locke
Clearly you need to use Slackware. Or...dammit, can't remember the name now, knew someone in college who was all over it.

Offline morrison

• RItiree - burritos
  • Cactus
  • Awards Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has recruited a member into the RIA One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 2.28" long.
  • has 20 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Western Cape
  • Ruler: morrison
I am using lubuntu...

Offline Alfred von Tirpitz

• The Bear Cavalry
  • Cactus
  • Awards Forever Proliferating ♥ Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation
  • war boner is 12.86" long.
  • has 4 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: K252strin
  • Ruler: Alfred von Tirpitz
I use Ubuntu @ work. Just to be able to turn up my nose and sniff when windows users ask me how my laptop has such awesome looking stuff. For added effect i like to have a console or two up with a simple ls-l output up, so confuse the heck out of them.

At home i use Win7 on my gaming rig, which is used for nothing productive whatsoever. Apart from shooting zombies in the head.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
Clearly you need to use Slackware. Or...dammit, can't remember the name now, knew someone in college who was all over it.

lmao I love Slackware

But, support for it sucks.

I think you are talking about Slax by the way

I am using lubuntu...

Honestly, this is a viable option for me. I'm a sucker for GNOME 2 though, but that seems honestly really close enough.

Offline Locke

• Cactus
  • has 6 llamas
    • View Profile

lmao I love Slackware

But, support for it sucks.

I think you are talking about Slax by the way
Looked around, it was Arch Linux. We had some..."fun" moments trying to get that working, heh.

Also, all the lab computers ran on openSUSE, that seemed decent.

Offline Agent Lemon

• Troll Legend
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Funktuar
  • Awards The Disorder War Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Inductee of the Golden Dong Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Recruitment One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been a Triumvir
  • war boner is 11.31" long.
  • has 149 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Citrus Empire
  • Ruler: Agent Lemon
What's the point of using anything other than Windows? Genuine question. What about for someone like me who pretty much only uses their computer for browsing the internet? Does the job fine. Is there any point switching to something else?

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
Re: The last version of Ubuntu that I liked will stop being supported in April
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 07:40:14 pm »
What's the point of using anything other than Windows? Genuine question. What about for someone like me who pretty much only uses their computer for browsing the internet? Does the job fine. Is there any point switching to something else?

I literally believe that people who use a computer for just browsing the web are perfect for a bread-and-butter home Linux distros like Ubuntu.

Things that Linux in general does that Windows doesn't for this type of crowd:

- All programs, libraries, and the core aspects of the OS, update through the same source.

On windows, 3rd party background applications typically do this; Chrome, Flash, Java, etc...only Microsoft applications receive updates through Windows Update. So, vanilla installs of programs that people who just web browse use leave a bunch of junk background applications running at all times. In general, there is a lack of any kind of synchronicity in updating programs in Windows.

Updates to your web browser, flash, and java are typically pretty important, too. Their tendency to be annoying during updates discourages users from keeping their shit up to date and making them more prone to some sort of exploit.

You also have a lot of options to the kinds of updates you can receive. You can have security patches applied immediately upon release and set other types of updates to be downloaded automatically, but applied only when you want them to.

- You don't have to Google for drivers like a fucking peasant

This was a bitch ages ago, but setting up a new device on Linux is a breeze usually. The drawback is there is still a lot of hardware that is not supported out of the box, but everything a general web browsing cat would use is definitely supported. Even if support for the devices doesn't exist, you can bet money on some guy out there writing a hack method and guide to follow.

- You have a pretty good idea what's on your computer.

Hopefully this doesn't change (and there are a couple exceptions), but stupid bullshit isn't installed along with your programs. No dumb toolbars, no dumb adware.

I tend to find the Windows desktop itself more stable, but with Linux, even if the desktop becomes unstable and crashes, there is a very good chance I can fix it without rebooting the computer.

New Linux users typically have trouble because they are still in the Windows mindset and will go to NVIDIA's website and download NVIDIA's drivers and try to double click on things. Even the guys who do know what they are doing and go to NVIDIA's website for drivers aren't double clicking on anything to get them to work.

I'll just go out and say it. Linux is simple compared to Windows.

Offline Locke

• Cactus
  • has 6 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 03:11:18 am »
I wouldn't quite go that far. I would say it can be simple compared to Windows, but certainly not in every aspect.

C-zom

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 03:13:02 am »
GNOME 2 on Mint 11 is fine. I use it as my main operating system and use windows 7 for gaming.

GNOME 3 is fucking useless, but I know you know that already.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 08:42:16 am »
I wouldn't quite go that far. I would say it can be simple compared to Windows, but certainly not in every aspect.

It's pretty obvious you haven't read my new book yet

C-zom

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 02:55:16 pm »
Anyone who thinks Windows is better than Linux is literally just acustom it. It's fine, if you're used to a bicycle with square wheels and built up an immunity to caring, go right ahead. You can keep on chugging. But for people who know just how damn good Linux is, well, you'll know why we want to tear our eyes out when we're stuck with it.

Offline Brian

• Funktuar
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Hero of the RIA The Disorder War Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War One year of Random Insanity Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 13.69" long.
  • has 320 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: My new new Nation
  • Ruler: The decimator
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 01:05:32 am »
first things first.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
http://tuxradar.com/content/how-compile-linux-kernel

next up.

This was a bitch ages ago, but setting up a new device on Linux is a breeze usually. The drawback is there is still a lot of hardware that is not supported out of the box, but everything a general web browsing cat would use is definitely supported. Even if support for the devices doesn't exist, you can bet money on some guy out there writing a hack method and guide to follow.

these things, they made me laugh. "'you just have to type 'yum update nvidia' (or apt get or whatever your distro decided) unless you cant, then you have to do the opposite of what my point was." which, btw if you have the latest and greatest hardware you can bet you don't get a driver for a month. i had a $200 sound card, i had to cheat and get half support by force installing incorrect sound drivers for devices that had the same number of outputs and the same sound chip. it worked eventually... kind of...

http://cleansofts.org/view/update-notifier.html << have yet to try it but i assume they have the normal programs covered.

Please explain to me (a person who is fairly computer competent and has used Linux as my only OS for several months) what exactly you can do with Linux that you cant do on windows.

also, i found a picture of you linux server admins.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:07:57 am by Brian »
please ignore the above post, it is most likely worthless and a waste of your time to read.
TL;DR go on with your life while you still can.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 10:54:51 pm »
first things first.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
http://tuxradar.com/content/how-compile-linux-kernel

next up.

these things, they made me laugh. "'you just have to type 'yum update nvidia' (or apt get or whatever your distro decided) unless you cant, then you have to do the opposite of what my point was." which, btw if you have the latest and greatest hardware you can bet you don't get a driver for a month. i had a $200 sound card, i had to cheat and get half support by force installing incorrect sound drivers for devices that had the same number of outputs and the same sound chip. it worked eventually... kind of...

Maybe in 2004.

What kind of sound card was it? That sounds weird.

Linux and sound was kinda a huge bitch until Pulseaudio came around. That created it's own problems, but stuff that supports it works just fine. Never had problems with it like OSS and ALSA.

I will say ATI support definitely sucks dick, but NVIDIA works great even with the open source drivers. Intel video works completely fine, too.

It's only installing the proprietary drivers that takes work. And, depending on the distro, that could be some yum install bullshit, like Ubuntu where for the past two-three years, there is a tool that allows you to install proprietary drivers for hardware it supports.

http://cleansofts.org/view/update-notifier.html << have yet to try it but i assume they have the normal programs covered.

for Vista you need Administrator rights

run in background

scan selected stand-alone software

Please explain to me (a person who is fairly computer competent and has used Linux as my only OS for several months) what exactly you can do with Linux that you cant do on windows.

What you call an operating system, I call

You have like 10 different options for a decent desktop GUI and if you feel like exploring some crazy shit, you could try other people's one man, two man swings at a window manager.

I have a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. I use the Windows key for most of them.

Super Key - N, Inverts a Windows colors. Useful for turning a black window white and vice versa. Whatever feels better on eyes. Never seen a way to do this in Windows.

Super Key - M, inverts the entire screen. If you use magnifying glass, you can invert the screen. While using magnifying glass.

Super Key - Mouse Scroll changes the transparency of a window. So, I can watch videos through my web browser. You can do this on Windows if you love installing crap.

I can set a window to stay on top of all other windows no matter what. Can't do this with vanilla Windows. I'm sure if you install crap you can do this.

I can shade a window, set it on top, and unshade the window when my mouse is over it to read what's on it.

There is a terminal-based command for literally everything. Like, I can pipe my webcam from SSH into a media player of my choice. Record sounds and email them somewhere on a regular basis.

SSH is literally the standard for remote management and is supported by everything that matters that deals with file transferring and terminal programs.

But man, I can list a bunch of shit, but it's just going to be shit I like about it. It's just what I'm comfortable with.

Or maybe I'm an edgy fucktard.

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:27 pm »
By the way, I'm speaking generally about desktop Linux OSystems.

In fact, let's just stop saying Linux because it's complicated

I'm talking about Ubuntu and other Debian derivatives that aren't Debian.

Offline Brian

• Funktuar
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Hero of the RIA The Disorder War Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War One year of Random Insanity Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 13.69" long.
  • has 320 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: My new new Nation
  • Ruler: The decimator
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »
i declair myself the loser in this debate. windows can never do this
http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml

EDIT: i take it all back. its a draw

also aplyes to Ubuntu or any other linux distribution out there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:37:58 pm by Brian »
please ignore the above post, it is most likely worthless and a waste of your time to read.
TL;DR go on with your life while you still can.

Offline Locke

• Cactus
  • has 6 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 11:12:22 pm »

Sadly, have not been able to do this since XP. :(

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 1.506 seconds with 46 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317