Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: I just beat 3,000 Franks  (Read 803 times)

Offline Dontasemebro

• What does the custom title look like
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Illuminati War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Was elected to be Captain Planet
  • war boner is 12.48" long.
  • has 133 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: RIAland
  • Ruler: Dontasemebro
I just beat 3,000 Franks
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:45:35 am »
stone walls are one step up from wooden walls, the third worst walls in the game. I was fighting HORDE FRANKS, which are UBER FUCKING STRONG. I got 2500 kills. I took a screen shot but it didnt work! >:O But whatever. The point is, I won. Here's the battle report:

So the 3,000 Franks are split up into two armies on either side of my city. Fortunately only one side has siege equipment so I put everything on the side with siege equipment. I have 4 hunter archer groups, a warlord w/ heavy cavalry, and 1 heath swordsman group(heavy infantry, swords, no throwing spears).

In the city I had 3 groups of hunter archers, 2 groups of levy spearmen, 1 group of saxon spearmen(slightly better than levy, but no throwing spears!), one group of heath swordsmen, a group of light cavalry and my warlord general.

The enemy has shitloads of infantry and about 2X my cavalry. Probably at least 7X my infantry, but NO ARCHERS. He's got a ram, two sets of ladders, and a siege tower.
Deployment: I put one set of archers at the gates with archers flanking them, and spearmen on the wide flanks. Then I match my heath swordsmen with the siege tower. I put my cavalry and my saxon spearmen at the gate.

My first orders go to my reinforcements which I force-RUN to my city, this takes about 1/2 the battles' time for them to get to me.

His ram actually reached my wall even though I should have set it on fire wth like 129840928 flaming arrows, so I thought I had lost already. While his ram is battering away, my archers switch targets to the ladders, as I kill off the guys carrying the ladders it slows them down a LOT, and the siege tower is forced to go ahead early. My spearmen align with where the ladders will be going up, and my heath swords are already at the siege tower.

The ladders go up, and the Frankish Chosen Swordsmen TEAR UP my spearmen WAY MORE than I thought they would. On one side my hunter archers were able to stop them, but not so lucky on the other. While my hunter archers on my right flank are getting decimated by chosen swordsmen, the siege tower finally filled up and dropped its boarding wall and let out his chosen, which my heath then charged into. Battle was pretty even there for a while but luckily for me I started winning(81 heath vs about 70 chosen). But the bad sign is the flank that lost the ladders was the same flank as the siege tower, and the chosen who made it up the ladder started walking over to my heaths while more were climbing!

The second wave of chosen on my left flank(without the siege tower) broke through my spearmen just as the ram broke the gate. However when he charged his massive spearmen force in, my spearmen combined with the boiling oil from the gates and the cavalry routed the 6 squads of spearmen temporarily(they get rallied by his general...faggots). But I take the time to run my spearmen up the left flank wall because my heath swordsmen ROUTED THE CHOSEN FROM THE SIEGE TOWER, so I turned them around and raped the face off the remaining chosen on the right flank (although they held for a while). The second wave of chariots, cavalry, and spearmen ALSO get routed by my cavalry and boiling oil alone.

The status right now is the gate is open, 1500 men are coming from the other side to enter the broken gate (which cant be repaired), my exhausted reinforcements are walking up to my front walls, and Ive only got 2 squads of my original 3 hunter archers at the walls. But my left flank was gone, and he had taken the gates, meaning the boiling oil is off! My gate-guarding spearmen also got decimated walking up to take back the walls, but while they died they routed the chosen on the left flank! This left my hunter ARCHERS an opportunity to charge in and finish them off, retaking the gate! I then exclaimed "FUCK YES" as my right flank Heath Swordsmen finished off the last of the right flank chosen.

The 1500 from the other side of the city arrived and started climbing the left flank, but my 4 hunter archer groups from reinforcements fired flaming arrows in their faces. My reinforcement heath squad is exhausted so they have to wait, but Ive got more cavalry now to hold the gates. They charge in AGAIN with anther 6 or so groups of spearmen, and AGAIN my cavalry charge right after the boiling oil routs them. Then both armies of the franks start gathering for a final push(they're now ignoring the ladders), and I set up 5 squads of archers on the walls, one on the gate, 2 on the flanks, I stupidly left the veteran heath on the right flank wall though. I set up 2 full ammo archers at the gates, behind my tired heath swordsmen, tell them to shield wall, and I wait. The franks charged.

12 squads of swordsmen, spearmen, and 3 squads of heavy cavalry charge towards my gates. Volleys of flaming arrows panic them just in time for the boiling oil to make them "wavering"(right before a route) and they hit my heath, decimating them. My 2 archer groups fire their arrows, and I charge in my 3 squads of cavalry, AND PWN THEIR GENERAL, and they ALL ROUT AT THE SAME TIME, and I kill them all. Apparently 500 escaped though. But it was a "HEROIC VICTORY", 1,100 vs two groups of 1500, I had 2500 kills, them together had about 600.

What was the difficulty level? I'll be honest, it was "medium", but this was still fucking awesome.

tl;dr I am good at Total War: Barbarian Invasion.
My cat watches me have sex, he's not the only one.
Spoiler for Hiden:

You know you want to.

Offline iron snake

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
I just beat 3,000 Franks
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:33:32 am »
I remember that game I havn't played it in a long time, I've been playing medievil total war 2 it's a huge improvement from Rome total war.

Offline Joker

• RIctuar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nothingface/
I just beat 3,000 Franks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 03:57:38 pm »
Archers + walls = cheating. Seriously, it's too easy to defend in sieges
Now in NpO. Take that as you will.

Offline Dontasemebro

• What does the custom title look like
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Illuminati War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Was elected to be Captain Planet
  • war boner is 12.48" long.
  • has 133 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: RIAland
  • Ruler: Dontasemebro
I just beat 3,000 Franks
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 05:05:38 pm »
Quote from: Joker
They were short-range archers. But I've taken many an archer-defended walls...just gotta use teh ladderz
My cat watches me have sex, he's not the only one.
Spoiler for Hiden:

You know you want to.

Offline Remy LeBeau

• Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
I just beat 3,000 Franks
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:34:22 pm »
Mmm....I gotta say, fun as Medieval II is, I absolutely love Barbarian Invasion...mainly because I love playing as the Celts.  Yay for berserkers!  Granted, they're crap for defense, since they just go berserk and charge out of the gates and get rawked by cav, but still...and of course, the Celts don't get archers, they have slingers...but still!  Celts ftw!  

In terms of defending, I've defended against ridiculous numbers of mainly Mongols, but others as well.  The trick is to A) Yah, range, but  get two or three groups of spearmen just standing at all the gates, in schilistrom (sp?) formation.  Then you have the archers target the siege towers and ladders, and ignore the ram.  Ideally, particularly against the Mongols who are like 80%+ cavalry, the ram breaks through the gate, and the guys with the ladders and towers drop their stuff and head towards the gate.  The horses all charge in, and just get eaten alive by the spearmen.  Plus, they end up bottlenecking in the opening, so there's no maneuverability.  The guys in the front get slaughtered since they can't run, which leads to huge morale decreases, and they everyone starts breaking and running, leading to more confusion, and then at best they come in waves, as one group regroups and attacks while another flees, and then comes back right as the first group runs away.  It works ridiculously well, particularly with the Celts, since you can't use anything but mercenary archers with them for range (slingers are worse than nothing).  I've literally killed tens of thousands of Mongols this way.  

Of course, against someone like the Franks, who just have heavy infantry, this tactic wouldn't work, and I'd be screwed...but that's where the berserkers (Hounds of C-something...they're purple =P) come in!  Yay!  Berserkers > everything but cavalry (and they can give horse riders a run for their money if their morale holds)

Retrospectively, using the Celts is sort of a cheat, since they're not meant to be a playable nation, and I had to go into the game's code to get it to let me play as them...But hey, I gotta follow my roots!

Offline Joker

• RIctuar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nothingface/
I just beat 3,000 Franks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:21:54 pm »
Quote from: Dontasemebro
Quote from: Joker
They were short-range archers. But I've taken many an archer-defended walls...just gotta use teh ladderz

You have to keep in mind the computer is really dumb
Now in NpO. Take that as you will.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317