Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: If I did my math right...  (Read 2165 times)

Offline rlrcstrnthusiast

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards The Disorder War Five years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Four years of Random Insanity Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has been Head of Internal Affairs Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 21.55" long.
  • has 263 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Dilbobagginese
  • Ruler: rlrcstrnthusiast
If I did my math right...
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:08:57 am »
...the promotion I'll officially receive next month will increase my gross annual income by approximately $12000 a year. Best part about it is I can, in theory, get promoted within a few months.  :awesome:

Give a black man a dumbbell, and he'll find a way to work out every muscle with it.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3. Power Supply: Antec 80+ rated 750 Watt. Processor: Intel CoreI7 2600K @ 3.4GHz.  RAM: 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Mem @1600 MHz. Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti graphics.

Offline Arsenal 10

• Officer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • SPIEZ MASTER!
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Has been Head of Recruitment Has been Head of Economics Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Was elected to be Captain Planet Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a diplomat Has been Head of Foreign Affairs
  • war boner is 19.29" long.
  • has 250 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Goonville
  • Ruler: Arsenal 10
Re: If I did my math right...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:08:37 am »
Heh, I live on less than $6,000 (NZD) a year at the moment.
Chillaxin since 3/23/2008

Quote from: Moth
On the contrary, I think we're being very unserious about this. If we were serious about this situation, it would have been settled in a matter of hours.
Quote from: cctmsp13
If you're good enough for Arsenal, then you're good enough for me.
Quote from: pielord47
Arsenal, have I mentioned how large my mother told me your cannon was? She said it was HUGE.

C-zom

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:40:26 am »
I live on a wonderful 0 dollars a year due to the job economy being a joke so bad I can't even think of a comparable metaphor.

My 2011 application folder is 180 applications submitted, 15 interviews, 0 call backs.

Offline rlrcstrnthusiast

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards The Disorder War Five years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Four years of Random Insanity Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has been Head of Internal Affairs Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 21.55" long.
  • has 263 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Dilbobagginese
  • Ruler: rlrcstrnthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:01:03 am »
I work at In-N-Out Burger: one of the few quick-service places where you actually make pretty good money. I'll probably make just shy of $30,000 this year. I'll be the lowest level of management starting next month.

Give a black man a dumbbell, and he'll find a way to work out every muscle with it.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3. Power Supply: Antec 80+ rated 750 Watt. Processor: Intel CoreI7 2600K @ 3.4GHz.  RAM: 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Mem @1600 MHz. Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti graphics.

Offline Ganon5

• Furious Panda
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Karma War RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized Mars! Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 0.7" long.
  • has 67 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=797919207
  • Nation: Desperation
  • Ruler: Furious Panda
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:03:07 am »
My promotion just got me an extra $25k (AUD) :P

But damn, $18 to $30 is one hell of a jump. If only all promotions nearly doubled your salary!

Offline undiscoveredbum

• Ain't gonna eat no dead man tater
  • RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
  • Awards Formerly a member of PotD Alliance Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Four years of Random Insanity Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 17.65" long.
  • has 241 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Bumfunk
  • Ruler: UndiscoveredBum
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:39:14 pm »
Fuck you. You make that much at a burger place?

I'm going to kill myself.
http://i.imgur.com/MI08q53.pngNever argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Mia

• Non Grata
  • RIctuar
  • has 37 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Earthly Heaven
  • Ruler: Salmia
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:07:11 pm »
You can make that much at fast food places in general if you stay long enough to be promoted to manager positions. Downside is you're essentially made to work more hours and do more than one job in this type of economy. Money is money though.

Offline Crazyman93

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Waffle Commissar
  • Awards Veteran of the Karma War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 5.43" long.
  • has 15 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Seraven Empire
  • Ruler: Crazyman93
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:16:12 pm »
The economy is a fucking disaster. The only reason it's not a second Great Depression is the fucking bankers still have their jobs.

Spoiler for Hiden:
<--I'm somewhere in there.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5745/tigerrv.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2228/55990.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Airhammer/Women%20of%20Wrestling/Brooke%20Adams/BrookeAdams22.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/huntms83/hAz1qe5fld.jpg
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgzn4eJw721qb197bo1_500.jpg

I'd like to thank the RIA for giving me a place to hide my hotgirl pics

Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: Jenne
You should not question what you know nothing about.  No one in RIA willl ever question crazyman's dedication to our alliance.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been Head of Military Operations Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Internal Affairs Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 21.03" long.
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Jenne
  • Ruler: Jenne
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 03:52:13 pm »
Most everyone with an education has a job.  I heard a stat the other day that unemployment among those with college degrees is 5%, those with high school diplomas is around 9%, and those without is over 15%.  Wow, maybe knocking up your sister and dropping out of high school to pay for the hair lip surgery was not such a good idea. 

Yet despite that, there are still morons who complain that low end jobs that can easily created by gov action are not what we need because they don't pay enough.  But, those are the ones who need jobs.  Sorry if I dont feel the need to overpay some retard who made a choice not to finish the 3rd grade because they thought they were already smarter than a 5th grader. 

And dont fucking bitch to me about the Mexicans taking your jobs.  They are doing the jobs you think you are too fucking good for anyway.  Go back to school, get your fucking GED and become a lead janitor in charge of them. 

There are something like 3 million tech job out there that cannot be filled because there are simply not enough qualified candidates to fill them.  Part of that is simple geography issues, in that the people without jobs are not in the same area as the jobs and are unwilling or unable to move.  But it's amazing.  Get an education, get a job.  Funny how that works.

Offline undiscoveredbum

• Ain't gonna eat no dead man tater
  • RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
  • Awards Formerly a member of PotD Alliance Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Four years of Random Insanity Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 17.65" long.
  • has 241 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Bumfunk
  • Ruler: UndiscoveredBum
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 05:20:35 pm »
u mad
http://i.imgur.com/MI08q53.pngNever argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • Awards Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Dave War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Illuminati War Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Military Operations
  • war boner is 6.76" long.
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Pterrydactyl
  • Ruler: Pterrydactyl
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »
I make roughly 20kish a year.

And I'm a student :D

Guess it helps to have 3 jobs.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's stop calling it trolling
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's call it what it really is, okay?
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Art

Quote from: Leo
Some days I think Mia is totally wrong and that I am completely normal. Today is one of those days.

Quote from: Dontasemebro
I just got off the phone with my ex and I know that no females are reasonable

Quote from: Abe Simpson
Leo
I think you are the most annoying poster on this site, honestly.
You are like two llamavores with twice as many animals fucking.
Your posts make me reconsider how long I've been here.
I honestly wonder if you are actually Chris Tucker.

Offline Rorick

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has assisted the HoIA in the Internal Affairs dept RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade IIDA Graduate and Cadet Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 3.36" long.
  • has 43 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Neo Celtia
  • Ruler: Rorick
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 07:48:17 pm »
I make a grand total of aprox. $105 (USD) a year when factoring in birthdays and Christmas.... Oh wait, that is birthday and Christmas.

Seriously though, I was turned down for a server job at fucking Pizza Hut because I "Didn't meet the qualifications for any available positions."

^I got that reply less than a day after I submitted my application. Fuck them, fuck my life.

Officer of  :florida:: 6/11-12/11

http://www.armedforcesinsignia.com

Offline Mia

• Non Grata
  • RIctuar
  • has 37 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »
It is true. High school students/anyone without any job experience is going to have a tough time getting a job in this economy. Fact is many students even after graduating from college with a degree are having to move back home because they can't support themselves.

Offline Brian

• Funktuar
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Hero of the RIA The Disorder War Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 13.69" long.
  • has 320 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: My new new Nation
  • Ruler: The decimator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »
I work with mexicans on a daily basis. I do the exact same job as they do on occasion...
*logic processing* *GRINDING OF GEARS* *MODEM SOUNDS*
so that means... my job sucks... and is beneath me? Shit, id do just about anything for $11 (current wage) an hour. hell, id even think about doing leo at that price.

also, i know several people with higher up degrees from reputable collages who have shit jobs. soon to be uncle has some sort of masters degree in...lol i cant remember what all of a sudden, but yeah, he had to work at home depot for 5 months. i know there is a person with a phd in history working at our local library as a librarian. I work with a bar certified lawyer who does quality control for what we make.  jobs arnt easy to come by. most of it is having an 'in' someplace.
please ignore the above post, it is most likely worthless and a waste of your time to read.
TL;DR go on with your life while you still can.

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Six years of Random Insanity Five years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Four years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of Great War III RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Illuminati War Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »
It is true. High school students/anyone without any job experience is going to have a tough time getting a job in this economy. Fact is many students even after graduating from college with a degree are having to move back home because they can't support themselves.
Some of those students, I'm willing to feel sorry for. Others would have had that same problem no matter what the economy looked like. Seriously, anytime I hear a story about somebody with some ridiculous amount of debt(like $100k+) who got their degree in something like journalism, or teaching, or art, I just want to send them a strongly worded e-mail about how it's their own damn fault for being such an idiot. Look, I know lots of people have always dreamed of studying at Harvard, or Northwestern, or some other expensive private school, but if you're paying a ridiculous tuition rate for a degree that historically is not known for being high paying, stop complaining.

Not to mention the fact that I'm amazed at people who couldn't figure out how to get any money toward their college education outside of loans. Sure, not everyone can be lucky enough to graduate from high school with a suit made out of full tuition offers, but once you get to college, it's incredibly easy to get some amount of money if you apply yourself and do the work necessary to get good grades. And don't get me started on the grad school factor: WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL FOR THAT SAME SHITTY DEGREE!?!?!? AREN'T YOU ALREADY IN ENOUGH DEBT AS IT IS, OR ARE YOU JUST TRYING TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET YOUR DEBT INTO THE MILLIONS!?!?!? Fucking idiots, they get absolutely none of my symphony.

Also, brian, history is another one of those aforementioned degrees that does not historically pay well(unless you decide to become a lawyer or enter politics, which is really just taking a shit on that degree anyway). In addition, law is a field that seems to be getting saturated with new people since a) it's seen socially as a good career, b) it's not very difficult to get into, c) it's something to do with that damn journalism degree that you got from Cornell.

/rant
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Quote from: Crazyman93
Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

Offline Mia

• Non Grata
  • RIctuar
  • has 37 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 10:48:47 pm »
Most students don't go to Harvard, college tuition is on the rise. Unfortunately, if you don't have a degree, it is also harder to get a decent job. Even a degree doesn't guarantee a job though. Best thing to do is get a degree in a field that is going to have openings soon. I do agree journalism, liberal arts and so forth don't have much use.

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Six years of Random Insanity Five years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Four years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of Great War III RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Illuminati War Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 12:00:57 am »
Not just Harvard and the Ivies, Mia; just as bad are the people who complain after they decided to go to college out-of-state. Out-of-state tuition for public universities is ridiculous and I'm amazed anytime I meet someone from out-of-state who came to my university without any scholarships.

For example, where I am at now, the tuition is 10k a semester as opposed to 4k for in-state students, so right off the bat, there's a 48k difference after four years(assuming you graduate in four years). When I was being recruited, my top two choices were giving me offers of a little over 100k over 4 years. Approximately 25k a year for college if I decided to come here without any scholarships whatsoever, and I've met plenty of people from other states who came here with little to no money. Granted, some came from families that could afford that, but regardless, that's still a large sum for a public university. So there, not only are you coming out with a weak degree, but you don't even get the prestige of saying that you came from a Harvard or a Yale or another university of that brand magnitude.

So yeah, I'll agree that tuition is on the rise, but in-state tuition at a decent public university is really not that bad. If I had decided to stay in Kentucky for college, I would have benefited from a program that would have provided me with 10k extra over 4 years on top of any scholarships I received, and that was available to anybody. Seriously, 2.5k(in my case, the numbers fluctuate a little; 10k is the max) based on your grades in high school and your ACT/SAT score. Tuition for what I consider to be the four main Kentucky universities(UK, UL, WKU, EKU) is between 3.5-4.7k a semester. Depending on how well you did in high school, you can easily knock about a thousand bucks off that sticker price, and like I said before, getting scholarships really isn't as tough as it sounds if you apply yourself in class and work hard. I agree that college isn't cheap, but paying off a 20-30k loan in a reasonable number of years is feasible(especially if you work part-time while in college) and is not absurd when you take into effect the benefits you will receive from getting a degree, and makes a lot more sense than amassing a 100k-200k loan, regardless of the degree.
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been Head of Military Operations Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Internal Affairs Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 21.03" long.
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Jenne
  • Ruler: Jenne
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 09:01:07 am »
I'm probably a bad example becuase I could pay the debt off if I chose to, but the interest rate is so low, I put the money elsewhere.  But, I got about $21k per year in grant money for a school which cost on average over my 4 years $30k per year.  I got a fellowship for grad school which paid for all my classes and a stipend for living expenses and books.  I also had that stipened supplemented with either another job or additional reasearch money.  I never would have gone if they were not paying for it.  I finished grad school 10 years ago, and I still have better than $30k in college debt. 

I've also been through two extended periods of being unemployed or underemployed, so I know what it's like to struggle to find work.  During the first one, I had to put the loans in forebearance.  So, during that time, and the time when i was in school the unsubsidized loans collected interest.  Just during school, my Plus loans collected $8k in interest.  So, I do have sympathy for those who have actually applied themselves and still cant' find work.  If you can't make your load payments, call them.  It's in both of your best interests if you can make the payments, and they all have programs to help you not default. 

You may also have to be willing to move somewhere that is not your "ideal" location to find work at least temporarily.  I had to pick up and move half way across the country 6 years ago to finally get working a real job again.  I'd been working shit jobs for a year and a half, just so I could pay my bills and not have to move away from where I was.  But, here came a point when reality set in and that if I wanted to resume my chosen career, I was going to have to make a move.  My dad just this past weekend moved nearly 1000 miles away just to find work.  The jobs are out there, you just have to be willing to find them.  If you are not willing to make a few sacrificies, I have a hard time feeling bad for you. 

Grads are pretty damn important too, unfortunately.  I never gave a damn about my grades for the first two years of college.  But when the opportunity to go to grad school came up, I had to bust my ass just to even be considered for entry.  Even though I had a prof willing to pay for it, I still had to be able to be accepted.  I had to go through a special review process because my gpa fell below an imaginary cut off line.  Fortunately I was able to get in, but it still follows you around.  During my first period of unemployment I applied for a position that read like my resume.  I went through the phone interview and at the end, the guys tells  me I am nearly perfect for the position and have all the experience they are looking for.. oh, btw, what was your gpa.  I tell him and he says, oh sorry, they only consider those with a 3.35 or better.  Now, i had a 3.72 in grad school and made deans list my senior year, and was "perfect" for the job, but that didnt matter because of a few bad grades in my gen ed classes nearly 10 years before. 

Offline Mia

• Non Grata
  • RIctuar
  • has 37 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:32 am »
Actually out of state can be cheaper. My university is part of the Midwest Exchange program, if you have a higher GPA (3.0 +) or anything higher than a C average, you're likely to be granted instate tuition which is rather low at my university compared to more expensive universities (University of Minnesota). Depending on what field you're going into though, your program can matter.

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 11:06:06 am »
What's your university, Mia? That's pretty cool and I do know that UofL had a program where they offered in-state tuition to people from certain counties of Indiana, but I figured that was because they were right on the border so doing that gave them the ability to more easily recruit students from right across the river.
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 45 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317