Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: cctmsp13's obscure anime corner  (Read 1116 times)

Offline cctmsp13

• Viceroy
  • Funktuar
  • Viceroy of the RIA - Maru!
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Economics One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Unjust War Was elected to be Captain Planet RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been a diplomat Has donated money for the RIA Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept
  • war boner is 19.11" long.
  • has 318 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: korinekia
  • Ruler: cctmsp13
cctmsp13's obscure anime corner
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:00 am »
(cranky old man mode ON)
You don't know how spoiled you young whippersnappers are.  What with your digital fansubs released like 2 days after the eps are out in Japan.  We couldn't do that back in my day, what, with our 14.4k modems and all it would take forever to download, much less finding a computer with the processor that could actually play it or the Hard drive space to store it. No, back in my day fansubs came on VHS.  Do you guys even know what a VHS is?  
(cranky old man mode OFF)

Anyway, in cctmsp13's obscure anime corner, I will be looking at some of the lessor know anime I have watched through the years, it'll tend to be older stuff, though not necessarily.

And so we begin...

Chapter 1
The Violinist of Hameln

The Violinist of Hameln (aka Hameln the Violinist due to some translation misunderstandings) is about a violinist named Hamel.  He has two notable features - one, the horn on his head (actually not that noticable, as he wears a hat all the time), and two, he has the power to play magical music.  OK, you say, magical music, like magical how?  Well like summoning a bird - a 100 foot wide bird made of water that he can ride and that will drown you.

So anyway, Hamel lives in a village with his talking crow Oboe.  A girl from the town, Flute come to take Hamel to a festival the town is having, so he can perform on his violin.  They go to the festival, but the town gets attacked by demons.   The villager start fighting back, and do rather well considering they're fighting demons.  During the battle it's revealed that Flute is actually the daughter of Queen Horn (apparently it's a family tradition to ditch their children in remote villages) The villigers due their best to cover Flute and Hameln's getaway, but ultimately fall to the demons.  Unable to escape, Hamel starts playing his magical music, which brings back the villagers as zombies.  The zombie villagers then continue fighting the demons, and Flute and Hamel escape.

So now it's up to Hamel to get Flute to the capitol and Queen Horn, where forces are gathering to protect the capitol from the encroaching demon armies.

Along the way they find out about Pandora's box, guarded by Queen Horn, which if opened would grant the demons limitless power.  They encounter new instrument-named allies and enemies, and discover the secret that Hamel may be one of the demons himself, and may have a connection with Pandora herself.

Ratings:

I don't do the plot justice, the plot is very engaging, with a fair share of twists and turns.  

oh, and yes, in case you noticed, near everyone is named for instruments (like 3 people of the extended cast aren't)

The music for the series is very well done, with a good number of classical violin sequences.

The animation, on the other hand is lacking.  It's quite well drawn, it just lacking in amount.  They love to do the "we're just going to pan an image across the screen" trick.  Really, the animation rate is nearly as low as that guy on PBS who would read a story and paint pictures that go with the story as he's reading it.

overall I'd give it a 6/10.  could have easily been a 8/10 with better animation

Worth watching?:
Definetly worth a try, the plot is strong and moves well, even if the animation is lacking.  

Getting it:
This series has never been released in the US.  It is available from the torrents at animesuki.

I'm keeping this banner.

<cctmsp13[RIA]> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9U9qGGYmo
<Drummer[FF]> lmao
<Croix> what the fucking shit
<Croix> did i just click cctmsp13[RIA]
<cctmsp13[RIA]> not sure
<Croix> those two girls murdered a robot, and the robot seemed to enjoy it.
<cctmsp13[RIA]> oh that
<Croix> then they... i don't even know, charged up a portable generator on their vibrators?
<Croix> the fuck is wrong with you:X

cctmsp13, President of Korinekia
Viceroy of The RIA
Sovereign of the NPL

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • LEGENDARY SPACE SUPER WARRIOR!
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Veteran of the Karma War Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 13.72" long.
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Shadortha
  • Ruler: Pancaeks
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:55:29 am »
Good review, i hope you'll do many more!
<%Leo[RIA]> it's better to be feared than respected
<%Leo[RIA]> especially if you lost that respect mentally raping them with spam
Yeah, fuck you.
Those kind of pictures really don't do it for me. To each their own, I suppose.
Not enough goats?
Oh look, a kenny, i have found.
He likes his tits, all firm and round.
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.
His hair is purdy, it touches the ground.

Offline Viper6525D

• Insane Ice Cream Guy
  • RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Back from the Dead, A-holes! :D
  • Awards Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War One year of Random Insanity Has been a diplomat Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team
  • war boner is 0.38" long.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
  • Nation: Leonhardt Frontier
  • Ruler: ViperDOTInsanity
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
Quote from: gangs20003
Good review, i hope you'll do many more!
Agreed, and its about time that anime got some recognition.

Offline Myrrh

• RIctuar
  • Resident Fujoshi
  • Awards Has donated money for the RIA Has been Head of Recruitment
  • has 2 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Myrrh
  • Ruler: Akito
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:10:58 pm »
Released in 1996. Old school stuff, yet pretty decent.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317