Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: METAL  (Read 6036 times)

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: goddammit
  • Ruler: certainly not
METAL
« on: July 16, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »
ITT, we talk about how fucking awesome metal is and recommend badass metal bands to each other.

This is not a thread for elitism, either from metalheads or against metalheads. If you're thinking of being a dick to me or any other posters because we like metal, leave this thread and don't look back.

For my first recommendation, I give you:
Axamenta - Progressive Death/Black Metal
The Omniscient

Ashes to Flesh

These guys are badass as fuck. They mix the complicated structures and odd instrumentations of progressive metal with the power of death metal and the atmosphere of black metal. Their 2006 album Ever-Arch-I-Tech-Ture is one of the best prog death albums I've ever heard and features guest vocals from Pain of Salvation's Daniel Gildenlöw, who is one of the most powerful vocalists I've ever heard and provides a great contrast with the death vocals that make up the rest of the album. Unfortunately, the band split up after Ever-Arch-I-Tech-Ture, but at least they ended on a fucking awesome note.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:03:06 pm by EnragedLobster »
fuck off

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:38 pm »
I second Axamenta because they can change gears really fast and appeal to a lot of genres, every if they're a bit crude. But really they appeal to three genres and if you hate them you're a fag.

As far as Progressive goes, there's a lot of choices.
Queensryche
is popular for their dynamic vocalist, crunchy riffs and political lyrics that really appealed to the left side back in the day. While many, and I, consider them near NWOBHM Operation: Mindcrime was wildly popular and had sexy songs like the hyperlink'd one.

If a bit sadder or heavier progressive is your thing, you might want to consider Opeth. I'm not a huge fan, but they're straight foward and too popular for their own good. Mostly death vocals accompanied by an Insomnium-esque riffing pattern and their lyrics are almost entirely based on relationships.

Bleak

Patterns in the Ivy 2

I'll let EL suggest some others, like Pain of Salvation.

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »
I'm gonna start the sub topic on Thrash, which I've been into for a good bit.

Megadeth

Probably the second most popular thrash metal band, Megadeth is--at times--one of the most technical and complicated thrash around. Main features is a growling vocalist, intriciate guitar riffs and political lyrics usually accompanied by a very NWOBHM or early thrash riffing style. Megadeth's replayability lies in their vast catalog, almost every album totally changing guitar tone or feel in another direction. My favorite songs--

Accessibility--8/10

Tornado of Souls
<-My favorite
Last Rites/Loved to death

Victory

Metal Church

This band emerged out of no where sporting a Halford-esque vocalist, doom inspired lyrics usually about failures in planning or betrayal, with some of the fastest guitar work of the time. Since the Dark album they have been on a downhill slide and are worthless since David Howe died, but many consider Their S/T and The Dark their best work.

Accessibility--6/10, might be too fast/dark for some

Burial at Sea

The Final Word
<- My favorite
Watch the Children Pray

Kreator

This German born thrash band laid down some vital foundations for death metal to come, straying almost TOO Close to it at times but still providing some catchy thrash riffs and up beat vocals. Kreator's emotion strives from its lyrics, detailing self abuse, problems in government and the inner hate of men. Some of the smartest thrash their is, its also some of the cheesiest if you look at it from a standpoint. The biggest turn off is their vocalist for some, if you don't like semi-death vocals.

Accessibility--5/10, Harsh vocals might throw off some

Violent Revolution

Impossible Brutality
-< Favorite
Riot of Violence
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:20:05 pm by C-zom »

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:35:38 pm »
Pain of Salvation - Progressive Metal
Idioglossia

In the Flesh

Probably one of the most diverse bands in metal, Pain of Salvation have songs that fall into numerous genres and subgenres, from standard progressive metal (see Idioglossia, above) to emotional ballads (see In the Flesh, above) to, on one notable occasion apiece, rap and disco. All of their music has some characteristics of progressive metal, however, such as shifting time signatures and tempos, odd polyrhythmic sections, and powerful, melodic vocals. Every album they have made is a concept album, even their first two live albums have a story. The most obvious aspect of their music is their vocalist, Daniel Gildenlöw, who boasts a massive 4-octave vocal range, going from deep bass notes to soaring soprano notes in the same song. Gildenlöw is also the lead guitarist and almost exclusive songwriter for the band - to date, only one song has been written with the help of another bandmate. Looking past the vocals, however, one can see the incredible skill all five members of the band possess. Pain of Salvation are still around, but have gone through three member changes since their 2007 album. They are currently recording a new album, due out this fall.
fuck off

Offline Electric Mango

• R a p e r o f L e o
  • Independent Republic of Orange Nations
  • Funktuar
  • I Make All Your Dreams Come True
  • Awards Was elected to be Captain Planet Has donated money for the RIA
  • has 22 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tiava.com
  • Nation: Mango Nation
  • Ruler: A Vote for Mango is Like a Mouth Full of Awesome
METAL
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:36:27 pm »
Metallica has been my favorite heavy metal band of all time for a long time.  I'm going to see them Oct 13th when they hit the Target Center in Minneapolis.  I can't wait.

\,,/    \,,/

Offline Fake from State Jarm

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 12.91" long.
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://
  • Nation: Clichesia
  • Ruler: Huffy MacSmucklesberg
METAL
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:27:34 am »
I recommend

Rocket Propelled Penises

Whores Gone Wild

Mother of Mohammed

LOL I'm kidding I'm not coming back to CN. >_>
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:59:42 am »
Quote from: Electric Mango
Metallica has been my favorite heavy metal band of all time for a long time.  I'm going to see them Oct 13th when they hit the Target Center in Minneapolis.  I can't wait.

\,,/    \,,/

I feel bad for you.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Two Years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized the Moon!
  • war boner is 21.03" long.
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Jenne
  • Ruler: Jenne
METAL
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 06:41:38 am »
I am definitely a more old school metal head.  Metallica, Megadeth, Guns...  I used to listed to Pupptez before every game in HS and College.  The flow of that album, bringing you up and down and ending with the insane crescendo that is
Damage, Inc.
 Even listening to it now makes me want to slam my head into something.  

Cygnus Loop
- The guy on the keyboard at the beginning is a guy I work with.  He sings on occasion as well.  I have seen them a couple time.  I can get into the music, but I just can't get into the style of music without intelligible lyrics.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Two Years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized the Moon!
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:44:06 am »
Quote from: C-zom
I'm gonna start the sub topic on Thrash, which I've been into for a good bit.

Megadeth

Probably the second most tonicular thrash metal band, Megadeth is--at times--one of the most technical and complicated thrash around. Main features is a growling vocalist, intriciate guitar riffs and political lyrics usually accompanied by a very NWOBHM or early thrash riffing style. Megadeth's replayability lies in their vast catalog, almost every album totally changing guitar tone or feel in another direction. My favorite songs--
Architecture of Aggression
- Most underrated song ever.

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:40:12 am »
Death - Death Metal/Progressive Death Metal
Baptized in Blood

Spirit Crusher

If you've ever wondered where death metal got its name, here is your answer. Death came out of nowhere with their 1987 debut, Scream Bloody Gore, taking the intensity and speed of thrash metal and increasing it tenfold, creating a whole new genre that ended up named after them. However, after a few albums of straight-up death metal, they decided to play with it a bit and added progressive elements, ending up as one of the first progressive death metal bands. Unfortunately, the driving force behind Death, vocalist/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner, died in 2001 from brain stem cancer. Former members have gone on to other well-known metal bands, such as Cynic, Strapping Young Lad, Iced Earth, and Testament.
fuck off

Offline Untelligent

• Wandered out west to the California coast where the folks who know 'bout Frostiness stay Frostiest the most
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • NO MORE RHINO
  • Awards Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has colonized Mars!
  • war boner is 19.75" long.
  • has 64 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: zoqfoqpiksting
  • Ruler: Untelligent
METAL
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:48:08 am »
Quote from: Jenne
I am definitely a more old school metal head.  Metallica, Megadeth, Guns...

This, pretty much. I haven't listened to Megadeth, though, maybe I'll take a look at them when the place I get my music from stops being broken.

We all live in a yellow submarine, we hate the stupid thing, we want to paint it green

Quote from: Hyperonic
I'm going to code some shit into these boards that stops you guys from posting because holy shit

Stay Frosty.

llama, don't say intelligent things.
This.

What the fuck llama.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
METAL
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:56:29 am »
ITT: elitist metalheads
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:34:39 pm »
Quote from: Crunka
ITT: elitist metalheads
I'm probably the least musically elitist person on these boards, so would you kindly take your negativity out of this thread?
fuck off

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:38:29 pm »
lol Crunka, and your biased and retarded views of a genre. I know for fact EL is far from elitest and *extremely* open and varied in his musical tastes. As am I, just not as varied. So get your cockpony out of here.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »
Clay People
Awake
- Wake up, Time to Die!

I have never met anyone outside the Albany area who has heard of them.  The had moderate success, including touring with Type O Negative.

Speaking of, loves me some Type O too.
Wolf Moon
- To quote Peter Steele "This is a song about a guy who turns into a warewolf when he goes down on a menstruating woman under a full moon.  What's a little roast beef without the gravy"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:19:31 pm by Jenne »

C-zom

METAL
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 04:14:28 pm »
Exploring the Doom genre...

Candlemass

Candlemass released the album Epicus Doomicus Metallicus in 1986 which, aside from Pentragram and Black Sabbath, was the first REAL Doom to be carried on throughout the years by other bands. It featured prominant, slow riffs. An odd drum pattern and very slow timings paired by a mournful and enigmatic vocalist. Their bassist wrote all the riffs, lyrics and songs and still does to this day, often considered one of the best bassists in the business.

So if you like dark fantasy/doom lyrics often in Lovecraftian or just simply dark aesops and also dig heavy riffs that will make your subwoofer cry, Candlemass is for you.

Accessibility--7/10, The easiest doom metal band to get into as they have mid to slow paced songs, a NWOBHM style vocalist, and clean lyrics and moderately slow paced solos.

Solitude

Under the Oak
<- Favorite
At Gallows End

Warning

In the 2000's Doom had a return, from Candlemass' return to Reverend Bizarre to Warning. Warning has taken the best from the "literal" doom bands before it and churned out only one album, but its power and emotion is immense. Production values for such a low budget band were hailed and while their lyrics are almost always about past relationships (See: Opeth), they manage to craft them in vague scenarios that often sound more epic than they should. That basically describes the whole genre.

Warning is for those rare moods, where you just feel like crap. You probably won't be able to listen to more than one or two of their songs in one sitting. They're very long, immense in sound, and their vocalist is one of the most emotional I've found in a while.

Acessibility--4/10, People may be turned off by the immensely slow pace of the guitars and the wailing and sad albeit clean vocalist.

Footprints
<- Favorite
Watching From a Distance

Bridges

Black Sabbath

Black sabbath has had many faces, but only one emotion. Tony Iommi has been the driving force of this band since the 70's, and basically inventing this whole genre albeit being surpassed later on until recently.  The Black Sabbath I will discuss today is the Dio years, past and modern, which far surpass anything Ozzy has done past Paranoid or Master of Reality.

The Dio years are fast paced and upbeat, and almost NWOBHM (See: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest). The highlights are some masterful riffs by Iommi and Dio's lyrics. His lyrics are hard to describe, often being ironic and poetic and really "old school." "Rainbow in the dark," "Breaking into heaven," Etc. Sabbath has recently returned to Doom, with Dio. Paired with his songwriting its some of the best in modern bands.

Also, it can be noted Dio is almost 70 and has the most energy of anyone live I've ever seen. See the video for "I" below.

Modern:

Breaking into Heaven
<- Favorite
Eating the Cannibals
<-Best damn title ever
Bible Black

The Past:

Rainbow in the Dark

"I" Live
-< Best
Holy Diver

Offline Aaron

• RItiree - burritos
  • Cactus
  • Awards One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has colonized the Moon!
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 05:33:30 pm »
I would recommend Sabaton, Ensiferum, Anterior, Doomsword. Amon Amarth, Machine Head and Wintersun.

Offline Fake from State Jarm

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 12.91" long.
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://
  • Nation: Clichesia
  • Ruler: Huffy MacSmucklesberg
METAL
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »
Quote from: Jenne
Clay People
Awake
- Wake up, Time to Die!

I have never met anyone outside the Albany area who has heard of them.  The had moderate success, including touring with Type O Negative.

Speaking of, loves me some Type O too.
Wolf Moon
- To quote Peter Steele "This is a song about a guy who turns into a warewolf when he goes down on a menstruating woman under a full moon.  What's a little roast beef without the gravy"

it's not gravy, it's chunky uterus blood.

LOL I'm kidding I'm not coming back to CN. >_>
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 07:11:11 pm »
Strapping Young Lad - Death/Thrash Metal with Industrial Influences
All Hail the New Flesh

Shitstorm

Strapping Young Lad represents the darker side of their bipolar frontman, Devin Townsend. They are one of the most intense bands I have ever listened to, absolutely pummeling the listener with a wall of sound. Despite the intense music, the lyrics are hilariously tongue-in-cheek. The star of this band is vocalist/guitarist Devin Townsend, one of my favorite vocalists, providing an astounding range from sheer
rage
to powerful
emotion
, although the former is more heavily relied on in SYL.. Gene Hoglan, one of the most practiced drummers in existence, provides a powerful backdrop complete with some of the most accurate and fast double bass and blast beats I've ever heard. Their albums City and Alien are highly recommended to those who can handle their intensity.
fuck off

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
METAL
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 07:30:00 pm »
Pig Destroyer - Grindcore
Cheerleader Corpses

Towering Flesh

These guys are not for the faint of heart. Their songs average at under two minutes apiece, ignoring their 37-minute doom metal epic. They are fast, intense, and incredibly awesome. Honestly, there's little I can say that isn't represented by those two brief songs up there. Again, not for the faint of heart. Their songs are brutal and their lyrics are incredibly disturbing.
fuck off

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 52 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317