Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Morality Question...  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • Awards Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Dave War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Illuminati War One year of Random Insanity Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Military Operations
  • war boner is 6.76" long.
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Pterrydactyl
  • Ruler: Pterrydactyl
Morality Question...
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:29:01 pm »
So, here's the situtation:

My "friend" sort of "cheats" on homework assignments.  For example, we had to interview people, and he just made the whole thing up and got an A on it (everyone got A's but he's pumped that he faked it and did).  Now, historically, he's been good at "fluffing" papers where he does shit for research and just stretches things he already knows out.

My question is, should I continue to let him do this, or should I say something?

One thing that pisses me off, is that he does this, and occasionally gets higher points on some assignments than I do.  I mean, I try actually do the full assignments to get the grades that I do, and it seems that it's under-minded by the fact that he just throws whatever shit he wants into a paper for the same assignment and gets an A.

I guess part of it comes from the fact that he's been "handed" everything pretty much his entire life (in fact, his parents pay his rent), whereas I've worked for everthing I have, so he doesn't really see any reason to not take the easy path.  I just don't understand why some people cheat, in the end, they are only cheating themselves.

However, at the same time, he has expressed that he has no interest in moving up in the world.  For Example I asked him to remove a video he had me tagged in because I was applying for a job (and he did), but he said he would never want a position where they'd take something simple like a video making someone look stupid seriously.

Now, my issue is that I've tried to live by a specific ethos.  Specifically:
Loyalty
Duty
Respect
Selfless service
Honor
Integrity
Personal Courage

And now, I'm conflicted.  I feel it questions my integrity to not say something, but at the same time, it questions my loyalty to my friends to say something (this guy is VERY well liked, and I'd lose about half of my IRL friends, plus be stuck with 2 pissed roommates for 8 more months).

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on what you guys would do in this situation to guide to to either saying something, or what.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's stop calling it trolling
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's call it what it really is, okay?
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Art

Quote from: Leo
Some days I think Mia is totally wrong and that I am completely normal. Today is one of those days.

Quote from: Dontasemebro
I just got off the phone with my ex and I know that no females are reasonable

Quote from: Abe Simpson
Leo
I think you are the most annoying poster on this site, honestly.
You are like two llamavores with twice as many animals fucking.
Your posts make me reconsider how long I've been here.
I honestly wonder if you are actually Chris Tucker.

Offline Croix

• Gigantuar
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Has colonized Mars! Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Inductee of the Golden Dong RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been a diplomat RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has colonized the Moon! RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex
  • war boner is 14.44" long.
  • has 396 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Nation Link
  • Nation: Edjaal
  • Ruler: Croix
Re: Morality Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »
Have a talk with the fellow. I wouldn't want to lose friends over it by say... reporting him, but you could explain your situation to him the way you explained it in your post.

Other than that, I'd say just turn a blind eye to it for the most part, makes life on your end a lot easier, and his grades aren't your grades, you shouldn't compare them.

Bullshitter gonna bullshit.
Photobucket wants 400bucks a year to hotlink, lolno
[20:31:00] <@ShadowSlayer[RIA]> ALL I DO IS PLAY WITH BIG GUYS
thank you for your time

be warned that your sig is now against the rule if it mentions me

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • Awards Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Dave War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Illuminati War One year of Random Insanity Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Military Operations
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »
I've tried talking to him, nothing ever seems to sink in.  This isn't the first time something like this has happened.

About 2 years ago, he wrote a program called "Magic Word"  he defends it as a "Remotely launched Secure Screensaver", but basically it's a lockout program. When launched, it stops anything you could try to disable it except typing the password (theres no typebox though).  He got it to over-ride explorer and the task manager so it stays on the screen and you can't see them.  In fact, he "SOMEHOW" got it to ignore the reset button (unless held for 10 seconds).  now, I know generally how he did it, but I'm not going to spend an hour describing the specifics.

Anyway, he put it on the schools network for which we have all the computer locations mapped.

Now, after about a semester of remotly launching it, he made a mistake and it damaged a computer.  They brought Microsoft Special Investigators (I shit you not, they have windbreakers and hats that say MSI in the FBI font) and the started an investigation. Now, I only knew about it, because I was a lab monitor at the time and one of the MSI guys let it slip why they were there.  I passed this info onto my supervisor, because in our department, everyone knew who made the program, and a LOT of people could get in trouble if he used the program while the MSI guys were there.

Eventually, me and a teacher approached him, and tried to impart just how serious of a situtation it was, and he couldn't stop laughing.  He was giggling like a fucking schoolgirl who heard the word "penis".  I wasn't even sure we got through to him.  Luckily, he did eventually say that he understood how bad it was, and stopped triggering the program.

But, my point is, I'm not sure talking to him will yield results, or even do anything.  He seems to take everything as a joke to the point at where we have to ask him if he's being serious when he is serious.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Some days I think Mia is totally wrong and that I am completely normal. Today is one of those days.

Leo

Offline Croix

• Gigantuar
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Has colonized Mars! Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Inductee of the Golden Dong RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been a diplomat RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has colonized the Moon! RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Internal Affairs RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex
  • has 396 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Nation Link
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48:42 pm »
Then he probably won't change, he's one of those types of people who coast through school with good grades, but ultimately it is a mystery as to why it happened.

That said if he blatantly cheats, not through just bullshitting, I would say report him. maybe do it anonymously?
thank you for your time

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »
Well, he'd never "cheat" like, copy-off someone, or plagerize (though, he has grabbed stuff from the tubes and reworded it).  But the fact that he just writes "charming" papers and gets A's baffles me.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Mr_Cynic

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex
  • war boner is 2.87" long.
  • has 70 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Mostly
  • Ruler: MrCynic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »
Bullshitting is an art, which he is apparently good at.  I am too, though I never use it for papers (only class discussions).  If he's good enough at it to get A's, odds are that if he's reported and then confronted by a teacher, he will be able to bullshit his way out.  Sadly, and I feel weird telling someone older than me this, the world isn't fair in this regard, and if he's good at it he may well get away with it indefinitely.  Talk to people in the business world.  There are people who go through their entire lives never actually doing anything useful, just bullshitting, and no one who can inflict consequences ever catches on.  If he seems to have no conscience about it, talking to him won't change his mind.  You can only wait and see if he gets caught.  If he does, and he asks you for help, then you have an issue.
Quote from: Crunka
I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes.
Quote from: Flask
SPITE THE ROCK!
Quote from: Elijah S Konderwink
....I fucking hate you.
<Moldavi> lol

Offline Croix

• Gigantuar
  • RIctuar
  • has 396 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Nation Link
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:25 pm »
I agree with everything cynic said, but the end part, the issue

if he asks for help, give it to him, its better than him just bullshitting if he's asking .
thank you for your time

Offline Thunder Strike

• Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation Veteran of the Equilibrium War Inductee of the Golden Dong Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Has colonized Mars! Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been a Triumvir
  • war boner is 19.46" long.
  • has 324 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Storm Heaven
  • Ruler: Thunder Strike
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:21:16 pm »
I read the first few lines and from that I think you should just ignore it. Such practices will catch up with him sooner or later. Particularly if he goes to college/uni. No need to nark.

Offline Fake from State Jarm

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the War of the Coalition
  • war boner is 12.91" long.
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://
  • Nation: Clichesia
  • Ruler: Huffy MacSmucklesberg
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
nice acrostic, spells LoyDuRSHInP

that is my contribution to this thread in its entirety.

LOL I'm kidding I'm not coming back to CN. >_>
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »
it's LDRSHIP, the core values we were taught in the Army.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Crazyman93

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Waffle Commissar
  • Awards Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 5.43" long.
  • has 15 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Seraven Empire
  • Ruler: Crazyman93
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »
I don't expect you to understand this since you were in the Army, but in real life actual work is not nearly as important as the results. So let him keep going.

Spoiler for Hiden:
<--I'm somewhere in there.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5745/tigerrv.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2228/55990.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Airhammer/Women%20of%20Wrestling/Brooke%20Adams/BrookeAdams22.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/huntms83/hAz1qe5fld.jpg
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgzn4eJw721qb197bo1_500.jpg

I'd like to thank the RIA for giving me a place to hide my hotgirl pics

Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: Jenne
You should not question what you know nothing about.  No one in RIA willl ever question crazyman's dedication to our alliance.

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 05:25:07 pm »
But his results aren't really Results, they are just oxshit...

I guess what bothers me, is not so much the fact he does it, but the fact that "skating" though college seems to be the norm.  I mean, I see tons of people waiting till the last minute and turning in shit projects, when I know they could have done better.  I just never understand the point doing something if your not going to put your best effort into it.

Also, between Army and College, I had other jobs in the real world, and I'd see people get fired left and right for what he does.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Crazyman93

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Waffle Commissar
  • Awards Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War One year of Random Insanity
  • has 15 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:31:02 pm »
Like I said, outside of Military life, work isn't as important as the end results, and I can guess none of your jobs were in the corporate world, because you'd see people get away with a lot there.

Spoiler for Hiden:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Airhammer/Women%20of%20Wrestling/Brooke%20Adams/BrookeAdams22.jpg

Spoiler for Hiden:
You should not question what you know nothing about.  No one in RIA willl ever question crazyman's dedication to our alliance.

Offline Croix

• Gigantuar
  • RIctuar
  • has 396 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Nation Link
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »
it's LDRSHIP, the core values we were taught in the Army.
The core values have the Acronym LDRSHIP

but all the values are for following orders...
thank you for your time

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 06:55:48 pm »
But... science...
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Mr_Cynic

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex
  • war boner is 2.87" long.
  • has 70 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Mostly
  • Ruler: MrCynic
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »
I suppose it'd depend on what field he would be entering.  Corporate world, he'd totally get away with it.  Maybe get promoted.  Scientific world (i.e. academia) he'd get shredded.  Liberal arts academia, he's actually on par with most professors (lol liberal arts are just bullshitting).

And no, why help him if he gets caught?  He was a dick, he got caught.  Why aid and abet?
Quote from: Crunka
I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes.
Quote from: Flask
SPITE THE ROCK!
Quote from: Elijah S Konderwink
....I fucking hate you.
<Moldavi> lol

Offline Brian

• Funktuar
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Hero of the RIA The Disorder War Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War One year of Random Insanity Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 13.69" long.
  • has 320 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: My new new Nation
  • Ruler: The decimator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »
i think this whole thing comes down to one quote from you Pterrydactyl...
One thing that pisses me off, is that he does this, and occasionally gets higher points on some assignments than I do.  I mean, I try actually do the full assignments to get the grades that I do, and it seems that it's under-minded by the fact that he just throws whatever shit he wants into a paper for the same assignment and gets an A.

few things about this though. Why does it matter to you what grades he gets? its not a competition (unless it actually is in which case crush him like an easily crushed thing.) If this is somehow, not the issue you find most disturbing with his actions, what does it matter to you what another person does with their time?
please ignore the above post, it is most likely worthless and a waste of your time to read.
TL;DR go on with your life while you still can.

Offline Crazyman93

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Waffle Commissar
  • has 15 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »
Because anyone who was in the army has a mentality of "They're going to be watching my back so they better work as hard as I do."
Which works in Iraq. Not so much in college.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »
It's not a competition, more that I put effort into everything I do, and then someone walks past with no effort and people talk about how good his stuff is.

he literally bullshitted his way through his research paper for English, talked about how horrible it was, and his teacher wants to submit it to a contest.

And it's not that "There watching my back, so I have to work hard" because when I was a specialist, I did close to ZERO WORK some days.  I just don't understand why someone would be like "I don't try".  And I further don't understand how he can get good grades by shitting out badly written essays...

If I decide to take that teaching position I was offered when I get my BA, I'm gonna make sure that noone skates through, and people actually LEARN something.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Six years of Random Insanity Five years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Four years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of Great War III RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the Unjust War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:59 pm »
If I decide to take that teaching position I was offered when I get my BA, I'm gonna make sure that noone skates through, and people actually LEARN something.
Easier said than done. Many people put more effort into finding ways to avoid work and are fairly clever when it comes to that department.
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Quote from: Crazyman93
Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 45 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317