Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: My computer is hugely Fucked over  (Read 1262 times)

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
My computer is hugely Fucked over
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:09:19 pm »
I just reformatted a week or so ago, and now its fucked up again. this time much worse than the last. MUCH worse. I have to open explorer.exe and a bunch of other stuff through task manager otherwise it wont open at all. what should i do? should i reformat again? cause I can access my files so as soon as i find my USB stick i'll be able back stuff up and do that.

PLEASE HELP!!

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:59:51 pm »
also, my computer keeps getting ads, and my internet is slow sometimes. im assuming this is all going to tie together with spyware. >_>

Offline dester55

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Overlooked member of the RIA
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Equilibrium War Five years of Random Insanity Has been a diplomat IIDA Graduate and Cadet Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Four years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 18.67" long.
  • has 189 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: kamicassis
  • Ruler: dester55
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:08:40 pm »
ya, probly a virus or spyware. so get scanning and if it isn't that then come back and we'll try to help you more.

When everyone rage quits I start taking my clothes off.

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:32:43 pm »
i scanned, nothing came up. due to Norton 360 >_>

I also seem to lose access to browsers from time to time, and i have to restart to make it work again >_>

Offline dester55

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Overlooked member of the RIA
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Equilibrium War Five years of Random Insanity Has been a diplomat IIDA Graduate and Cadet Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Four years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 18.67" long.
  • has 189 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: kamicassis
  • Ruler: dester55
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:41:59 pm »
norton is a problem all its own of course....

what do you mean you seem to lose access to browsers from time to time? like your internet browsers just stop connecting or something like that?

When everyone rage quits I start taking my clothes off.

C-zom

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:52:11 pm »
Almost positive you have a virus or spyware judging on the next symptoms, and general weirdness. You said you reformatted so thats bizzare. When you reformatted did you put a lot of files on a USB stick or CD? One of them must be infected and transferring this virus/bot.

Basically, reformat and delete the windows.old file. Don't use anything off the USB stick. Reinstall drivers, get a clean slate, install virus and spywayre programs (I recommend Avira Antivir and Superantispyware respectively) and then run them. If nothing is picked up, install the files off your usb/cd. SCAN THEM FIRST by right clicking the drive/CD in my computer. Install. If anything weird happens, restart comp and mash the F8 key until you're in safe mode. Run the virus scan/spyware

If you don't get a virus off the CD/USB, you're set.

Offline nIveK oGre

• Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=220744
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 08:28:24 pm »
what brand computer?  what O/S?  and how did you "reformat" your HD?

this kind of issue is easy to fix.

worst case scenario is you buy a new HD and have to reinstall the O/S on that, cheap
frozen sky

<+Slim[element]> hehe hes kinda big that should be fun

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »
naw things are lookin better, but I think a reformat is still in order.

it's fine, i backed some stuff up, i'll let you guys know how things went after i settle it all down, but its not as bad anymore. im still getting ads and other stuff but it'll all be over soon.

Offline Amoston

• God Emperor Cactus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:58:10 pm »
If you don't have anything to prevent you from reformatting, I'd say do that. On a fresh slate (Assumed winxp) upgrade to SP3. Then, grab firefox off the net, followed by noscript. After those two, nab off Avast antivirus and Spybot S&D. If you weren't at your computer the whole time and a sibling/child was able to get near the computer (and internet access), run atfcleaner, avast's scan, and spybot's scan. <_< Just in-freaking case. Then immunize with spybot, and always always always update spybot, avast, noscript and firefox when asked. NOW grab your drivers. I say to do this after all that shit, because you've generally got a bit of looking around to do, and there's lots of places which could drop off some spyware/viruses. As far as backups go, I'm not a sentimental type of person. I'd rather just throw it all away.

This is actually what I do to my father's co-workers computers, for $100/ea. I'm not getting ripped off at $20/hr doing this stuff, because I'm usually also drinking/eating their foodstuffs while watching TV.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:59:24 pm by Amoston »

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 12:28:13 am »
holy piss u guiyyss i completely forgot about this topic

i already reformatted, its all set and everything is fine, and i was considering a reformat from the beginning anyways

also, Amoston, not to rant you out because i dont mean to do that, im just lettin you know the following things

-im not spending any money on anything. like im serious, NOTHING, not a thing, otherwise i might follow some more of your advice. im 16 and i dont have any income comin my way atm so im not spending anything. this seems to cancel out some of the stuff you were talkin about, or at least it seems, considering i wouldnt know what to say about where i stand with my computer knowledge, but i know i can get by with most software issues and other things. anyways.
-i ALWAYS use firefox. nothing else. its the best and i bet you know it better than i do.
-i already picked up the 2 programs that C-zom suggested, im just gonna avoid norton altogether from now on. im happy with what i've got and if this isnt enough then i might have something extreme on my hands. but thats for another day
-i HAVE to back stuff up. i feel horrible if i lose everything i had worked so hard getting
-idunno where this point fits in up there, i seem to have left this out, but this is my own laptop and no one else has access to it because i dont let them have it. i didnt expect anyone to know that without me telling them and i didnt rly say anything about it. also, i have no child, and my only sibling has her own laptop, and my parents have their own comp. so even if i allowed access, no one would bother with it.

i just wanted to respond to all of your hard work typing that stuff up. not that typing is hard work >_>

and to conclude, im positive the viruses were due to a few torrents i was using to get the full Spore version for PC cause i didnt want to spend any money, not even just $10 (back to the not spending money point). i might decide to wait for my friend to buy so i can rob him of his CD or just buy it myself. but i am not using torrents for games ever again, not after this experience. >_>

C-zom

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 02:06:29 am »
Glad its resolved. <_< Happy to help.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:06:42 am by C-zom »

Offline Amoston

• God Emperor Cactus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:41:31 am »
Quote from: KingRanter
-im not spending any money on anything. like im serious, NOTHING, not a thing, otherwise i might follow some more of your advice. im 16 and i dont have any income comin my way atm so im not spending anything. this seems to cancel out some of the stuff you were talkin about, or at least it seems, considering i wouldnt know what to say about where i stand with my computer knowledge, but i know i can get by with most software issues and other things. anyways.

and to conclude, im positive the viruses were due to a few torrents i was using to get the full Spore version for PC cause i didnt want to spend any money, not even just $10 (back to the not spending money point). i might decide to wait for my friend to buy so i can rob him of his CD or just buy it myself. but i am not using torrents for games ever again, not after this experience. >_>
Each program I mentioned was freeware, the $ was what people have paid me in the past to do just what I told you to do, step by step.  'sal free stuff, but c-zom's stuff is gonna work just as well, I'd imagine.

<_< I wouldn't go so far as to stop torrenting stuff, but I'd definitely look into better protection when doing it. I've never had any virus issues with Avast (Yay P2P shield!) but I haven't had any experience with Avira. It's probably just as good.

C-zom

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 04:06:07 pm »
Avira has the best detection rate in the business if you buy it, with the free version being just as good but doesn't come with that many settings. It still gets the same daily detection updates though, and it has a shield too. I use this with comodo firewall: If I stealth my ports on Comodo and turn on Avira's shield, I've never had one virus on this comp OR an intrusion successful from torrenting.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:07:09 pm by C-zom »

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Six years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Four years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of Great War III RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 04:38:11 pm »
Quote from: KingRanter
also, my computer keeps getting aids, and my internet is slow sometimes. im assuming this is all going to tie together with spyware. >_>
Yeah, that's what happens when you let it sleep around.
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Quote from: Crazyman93
Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 38 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317