Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Dear RIA: Check out my Computer Build  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
Dear RIA: Check out my Computer Build
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:41:26 am »
So, I just sold my laptop and I am gonna get a desktop. I'm building it myself because it's better that way.

Current Components:
Rosewill CHALLENGER black gaming ATX mid with 3 fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153
Tuniq Potency PSU-POT550-BK 550W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817611006
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128405
Intel i7 860 2.80GHz
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Anyway, I'm keeping it at $800-ish

This computer will be running Win7 and Hackintosh. Components ARE compatible with Apple (at least I'm 89% sure). ATi's are about to be supported by Apple since their new iMacs (read:OVERPRICED SHIT) use it, so I'm good on that.

This will be my first build, any advice?? What else do I need? I'm a bit unsure whether i'll fry something if i mess with something. Any help would be appreciated! (For Gaming, photoshop, web design and obviously intertubes)

:v
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • LEGENDARY SPACE SUPER WARRIOR!
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Karma War Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Recruitment Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 13.72" long.
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Shadortha
  • Ruler: Pancaeks
Re: Dear RIA: Check out my Computer Build
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 11:40:15 am »
I can give you a build that i...built, for about that range.
You can probably get it for lesser though, seeing as things cost moar here.

Cpu and motherboard combo (they come together) cpu: AMD Phenom II X2 550BE (3.1GHz) and motherboard:ECS A785GM-M, together they cost = about $180

Memory: Get any memory but make sure that it does not come below 800MHz (each), i would suggest 3 or 4 Corsair/G.Skill 1333MHz DDR3 ram, this will cost you about $27 X (the number of memory cards you buy), two will be fine also but you should get 3 at least, price differs from company to company so get the best deal you can.

Graphics Card: Ati radeon Sapphire HD5750 1GB: $180, you can even buy XFX instead of Sapphire, same card, but XFX gives better warranty, however, it will probably be costlier.

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB: $50, this is what i suggest but you can buy whatever you want, that is up to you.

Cabinet: CoolerMaster Elite 310: $32

Power Supply: Gigabyte Superb GE-R460-V1: $44

Optical drive: DVD Writer: $22

Moniter: Again, up to you but i would suggest you buy the BenQ G2220HD (22" Full HD), I really don't feel the need to have hunormous monitors clogging up my table: $156

Keyboard and mouse: Buy anything, mainstream non gaming, if you want to save cash, i can play fine on my iball keyboard+mouse 16$ combo.

Speakers: Buy CREATIVE INSPIRE SBS A500 5.1 SPEAKERS SYSTEMS A 500: $62

The total should come to about 800$ give or take 50 bucks.

All the prices have been roughly converted from indian prices, so they might differ, most probably for the better.
<%Leo[RIA]> it's better to be feared than respected
<%Leo[RIA]> especially if you lost that respect mentally raping them with spam
Yeah, fuck you.
Those kind of pictures really don't do it for me. To each their own, I suppose.
Not enough goats?
Oh look, a kenny, i have found.
He likes his tits, all firm and round.
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.
His hair is purdy, it touches the ground.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:14:28 pm »
That sounds like a good build, but you see, I'm making a Hackintosh too. The motherboard and CPU have to be supported (along with other stuff) by Apple. After hours of research I found all of these to be compatible (at least I am mostly sure) :\

Also, I've had a horrible experience with Seagate/Maxxor so no thanks. Instead of that WD I was thinking of buying a white label HDD from ebay.
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my cock

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Karma War Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Recruitment Has donated money for the RIA Has been a diplomat Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »
Huh...a hackintosh eh? I dunno much about that, but these should help, apparently, this guy made an $800 comp too, a hackintosh to boot.

Check the hardware section to find the build he used here: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finishhttp://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish#hardware

Check this page on detailed instructions on how to make a hackintosh: http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 09:11:25 pm »
Also, why don't you just get a nice 600 watt psu? what's the point of sacrificing 50 watts? 600 is such a nice round number, its so purdy, you could just lick it.
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:08:45 pm »
Yeah, I kinda used that guide for reference. Sad to say it hasn't been updated since then and most of those components aren't available or have changed price. Plus, that CPU is over priced with the Intel i series.

In total, that comp is closer to $950+

Mine is far more capable and cheaper, although his build was guaranteed to work with Hackintosh. Mine, in theory, should be too. And a 600W would be nice, if it's less $$ than the 550W I found.
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my cock

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:05 pm »
err...well...about the psu, you won't get anything for that low but mind you, tuniq has a bit of a devious customer service history, you would be well advised to go for the costlier but far more trustworthy antec or corsair variants,
also, look for over 600 watts if you want to run sli/crossfire. More cards = more juice.
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

C-zom

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 12:07:22 am »
There isn't a single fucking good part on that list, Crunka. Every brand is basically shit, right down to Rosewill and HIS.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:50 am »
^ What? Let's see you build a $800 computer with better specs that is also compatible with Hackintosh.

Don't even say AMD is better because Intel processors kick the shit out of them. WD is pretty good, I know from experience; as far as Rosewill, I don't really care if my case is good looking, PLUS it has 3 fans included.

How dubious is Tuniq? I've read some reviews and it seems like normal. Few bad ones but generally good. It should power my system well, if I ever upgrade anything, I'll upgrade the PSU too.

C-zom, what is wrong with HIS? Should I go for Sapphire? I am not buying a $160+ GPU.
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my cock

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 02:26:01 am »
also, remove that WD...

I found a 500GB WD for 39.99 so I am buying two of those.

Total for computer~$858
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my cock

C-zom

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 02:44:43 am »
I'll have you a build list by tomorrow. It's 4:00AM now, but I've built four computers in my time, I know them inside out. And for $800, you should get AMD, the Phenom II 955 is a damn fine processor for gaming and encoding on a price limit.

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:50:46 am »
Sapphire is the best of both worlds, ok warranty and wonderful aftersale service,
about tuniq, i haven't read so many harsh reviews as i have outright violent ones, well published ones too, came in last months chip magazine, i was lucky to have caught a glimpse of it, i wouldn't have if i hadn't been building a comp meself, i read more into it, found some downright nasty shit, best avoid the risk mate.
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 04:08:34 pm »
The thing is C-zom, I can't have AMD. It is not compatible/supported by Apple therefore useless in a Hackintosh build. A few have done it but it is with a LOT of hard work and updating is a PITA.
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my cock

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 04:06:57 pm »
I say use the excess from czoms config (if you use his config) and just go for a ati radeon 5870 instead.
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

C-zom

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 04:26:12 pm »
It's a way better idea to get two 460's for the same price instead of one 5870. If he has $400 for a 5870, he has $400 for two 460's, which perform 30% faster than even a GTX 480.

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 09:50:20 pm »
I dunno, this mobo doesn't seem compatible, iirc, for crossfire, you need a compatible mobo and for sli, you need 2 pcie x16 sluts (running at x16).
This does not seem capable of running an sli.
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

C-zom

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »
Good point yeah its not an SLi or Crossfire compatible motherboard. Oh well, he should still get a 460 1GB if he can find it or a 5750 if he can't.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 06:16:29 pm »
That mobo isn't compatible for Hackintosh. I wish it would've been but Apple's retarted and doesn't seem to like USB3. Newegg charges sales tax in CA :\

The CPU is worse than the i7 820. It doesn't support multi threading, it's not as fast.

1. 860's frequency is higher
2. 860's turbo mode is far greater
3. 860's TDP is far lower
4. 860's Intel specified supported ram frequency is higher
5. 860's overall price is far lower (I got it for $250 + tax + SH = $284)

Isn't 5770 better that 5750? And is HIS really balls? Please tell me why specifically because I already ordered my stuff. If it's really that bad I can return it.

I'm not planning on running Crossfire. One GPU and that's it.

Also, I found a better PSU; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017 | OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

I ended up buying that. Also got the Rosewill. Found WD500GB at 39.99 each so I bought two of those, as I'm planning to keep OS X away from Win7 just in case.

[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my cock

C-zom

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »
Wow, you already ordered the shit in the OP? Ugh, good luck with that one. 95% of it needs to be replaced bad. Do your research next time, post on forums like HardOCP or OCN or Gamefaqs' own PC board next time. 95% of the parts in that are garbage.

Funfact 1: I didn't pick that mobo because it was USB 3.0. It's around 6x better as a motherboard than the one in your opening post. I didn't pick those parts because they were better priced, they're all 10x better quality. Price and facevalue means nothing. Brands, components in them, warranties and so forth do.

Funfact 2: the Corsair unit is better than the ModxStream. Advertised wattage isn't everything. You've got amps, the 12v rails, fluctuation, rippling and more to worry about when choosing a power supply.

The fact you ordered shit parts around running OSX shows me even more that me helping is an enormous waste of time when windows 7 64bit is a 10x better OS, and if you need the fastest kind of OS for server/workstation/homework/college use, Ubuntu is free.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:13:51 pm by C-zom »

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 41 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317