Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Need Help Finding a New Laptop  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Snowbound Milk

• God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Formerly a member of Sol Has donated money for the RIA Was elected to be Captain Planet Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA One year of Random Insanity IIDA Graduate and Cadet RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade
  • war boner is 11.47" long.
  • has 140 llamas
    • View Profile
Need Help Finding a New Laptop
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:17:42 am »
So here's my problem. This laptop /might/ live to see Christmas. I can co-op with my parents to get a new laptop online for Christmas. Buuut I like gaming on my laptop  :mellow:.

I was nosing around and I saw this Toshiba Satellite (Tristen's lasted like three years and she was hard on it so idk), that was like $1,000 regular price. No matter what way I cut it that's a little steep, and more than I need.

So now I come to you, probably mainly brian, asking if you could help me find a gaming performance laptop at a decent price (sounds like I'm explaining an urban legend at this point). Laundry list:

1. Battery life isn't all that important as it'll be plugged in while at home battery out. Heat distribution is important, I'll have it on a stand but for example my current Asus can double as a panini press after two Youtube videos and I think that has fucked it up pretty badly over the years.

2. 8 GB of RAM. I'm pretty sure that's about necessary if I want to play games in the future with this laptop. The one I was looking at had 16 but I think that'll be hard to find on the cheap.

3. Preferably an Intel quad core processor. Not really sure about the difference between the i3/i5/i7... just never liked AMD.

4. A good video card, with dedicated video memory.

5. I don't need a fucking TB of disk space... pretty sure at least. 500Gigs is probably perfect.

6. Screen size... uh, just not one of those dinky 14" ones.

7. Windows 8 or whatever doesn't matter, i'll probably just end up switching to Windows 7 if I don't like 8 anyways.

8. Doesn't need a full keyboard (numpad), doesn't need backlit keys, or to be bulletproof... I don't need that shit.

Under $1,000 after tax, that is your mission should you choose to accept it.

Offline Buck Turgidson

• Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!
  • RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • He'll see the big board!
  • Awards Has been Head of Recruitment Has been Head of Military Operations The Disorder War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 11.13" long.
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Spank my ass and call me Judy.
  • Nation: Darwinium of Slugs
  • Ruler: GrilledSlug
Re: Need Help Finding a New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:42 am »
Have a look at the Lenovo Y500 or Y510p - not sure what the price is for you on your end, but it is configurable, very powerful, cheap, and has good reviews.  If you find a Y500, get it before the Christmas rush - it will be cheaper, and is being phased out in favour of its younger brother.

Offline Snowbound Milk

• God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Formerly a member of Sol Has donated money for the RIA Was elected to be Captain Planet Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA One year of Random Insanity IIDA Graduate and Cadet RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade
  • war boner is 11.47" long.
  • has 140 llamas
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Finding a New Laptop
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »
You actually helped me find a really good deal on a Y410p... I might have just found what I need since it also has the ultrabay.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317