Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Morality Question...  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • Awards Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Dave War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has recruited a member into the RIA One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Military Operations
  • war boner is 6.76" long.
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Pterrydactyl
  • Ruler: Pterrydactyl
Re: Morality Question...
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »
Oh, I've got ideas
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's stop calling it trolling
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Let's call it what it really is, okay?
<JeffGoldblum[TheRIA]>: Art

Quote from: Leo
Some days I think Mia is totally wrong and that I am completely normal. Today is one of those days.

Quote from: Dontasemebro
I just got off the phone with my ex and I know that no females are reasonable

Quote from: Abe Simpson
Leo
I think you are the most annoying poster on this site, honestly.
You are like two llamavores with twice as many animals fucking.
Your posts make me reconsider how long I've been here.
I honestly wonder if you are actually Chris Tucker.

Offline Locke

• Cactus
  • True and Righeous Hero of CN!
  • has 6 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Alestor
  • Ruler: Locke
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 01:51:55 am »
I don't see anything particularly wrong with using what you know to fill out a research paper. If he's making shit out of thin air that's one thing, but if he can use his knowledge to build a point, I don't see it being any different than looking up that knowledge to also make a point. Either way, if the point is valid it should be fine. May run afoul of some teachers for not embracing the research angle strongly, but personally all I would care about is if it was well-written and makes a good case. I write a lot, and since it's about news most of the information needs to be sourced to the site I learned it from as a matter of professional ethics. But if it's something I personally experienced or an opinion piece I don't need a source because the ideas come from my own head. Whether it's sourced or not, from my perspective so long as you're honest about your sources it shouldn't matter if the content is original or researched. My best stuff comes from when I just pick a starting point and go at it rather than being constrained to merely re-telling a story someone else has told. But that's just the perspective of a writer and not really applicable to a school situation, I guess.

The self-interviewing thing is a similar issue, but I'm a bit more wary of his tactics there. I can kinda forgive lack of research in a research paper because I think the point should be the paper, not the research, but an interview is an interview. Without making it clear he's putting words in someone's mouth based on his own observations or creating a fictional character for some purpose it does seem disingenuous. I do think that interviewing a fictional character can be interesting though, what work you save in easily being able to guide the flow of the discussion you must make up in building up a believable person that is interesting to listen to and has something to say. It's not like it's not work when done properly, just flat-out lying if he claims it wasn't made up to the teacher.

I think the thing that bothers me most is his attitude. If he can use his head to get around restrictions and put up a product of similar quality to one that doesn't avoid them, it wouldn't be so horrible, but bragging about it to the world like it's something to be proud of just feels wrong. And if he's just putting out shit work and his teachers are too dumb to see it, I'd be more inclined to call attention to it. But I've never been particularly socially aware, or cared much of anything for a social life at school, so that colors my perspective there. The computer thing pisses me off too.

Offline Erwin Schrödinger

• Non Grata
  • Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Bermuda Islands
  • Ruler: Erwin Schrodinger
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 02:09:36 am »
For papers: He doesn't have to put effort in for people to like his writing. So he should be punished? That doesn't even make sense. He knows how to communicate an idea effectively, which is a skill that sometimes draws on fooling others into thinking you actually care. The point of the class is communication and evaluation of information. So he already has the skills required to pass the course. So what do you want him to learn? If his papers are good, why would he spend more time on them? I suppose I have a harder time understanding since I did about the same thing. I can write a paper at 15 minutes a page, hand it in, get my A (sometimes A-) and leave thinking what a waste of time that was. Last time I edited a paper after the initial draft, I received a B-. Never did that again. Also keep in mind, 'stretching what he knows': unless you are talking about falsifying information, it sounds like analysis of information while using some past knowledge.

He found messing with computers fun: So long as he stopped, it should be all good. Has he tried any other programs out that have caused trouble?

As aforementioned, it doesn't matter what grades he gets; worry about your own. Sure, it might seem 'unfair', but he has found a strategy that works and accomplishes the goals he needs it to. I don't see anything wrong with it. I doubt telling a professor he doesn't try in school will get you far. So long as he hands in a product, no one cares.
NG Tri of FA.

Offline Mr_Cynic

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex
  • war boner is 2.87" long.
  • has 70 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Mostly
  • Ruler: MrCynic
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 07:11:26 am »
Ok, he BS'd an English paper.  Can you think of a way of writing an English paper that isn't all BS?  (Again, lol liberal arts)
Quote from: Crunka
I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes.
Quote from: Flask
SPITE THE ROCK!
Quote from: Elijah S Konderwink
....I fucking hate you.
<Moldavi> lol

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • Awards Four years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Three years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Dave War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has recruited a member into the RIA One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet Has been Head of Military Operations
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 12:40:24 pm »
Ok, the point of the research paper, was to learn how to write research papers and he researched about 3 total facts, then just spread them across 7 pages with fluff, re-iterations, and increasing his period size.

And yes, I've done the same thing with papers, written them in 15-20 mins, thought they were total shit, handed them in and got an A.  What does that say about our education system?

And no, he did not stop messing with the computers.  After the MSI agents left, he wrote a new program to mess with them more covertly.

any most of what I was saying, was to give you insight into her personality, not judge his past actions.  I am focusing on the current one of cheating on the interview (which he acknowledges is cheating, and defends it by saying he forgot to do the assignment till the last minute)

any the interview wasn't an English interview.  It was an interview to be conducted under IRB guidelines for interacting with human subjects in order to prove that we understood the certification process (we got certified through the IRB).  Not to mention, it was supposed to be an example of how he will interview our research subjects for our group project in a week or so.  I'm stuck with him in my group, but I'm worried that if he makes shit up, it will fuck with out results.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:45:12 pm by Apophis775 »
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Some days I think Mia is totally wrong and that I am completely normal. Today is one of those days.

Leo

Offline Brian

• Funktuar
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Hero of the RIA The Disorder War Formerly a member of Sol Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 13.69" long.
  • has 320 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: My new new Nation
  • Ruler: The decimator
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 01:10:32 am »

And no, he did not stop messing with the computers.  After the MSI agents left, he wrote a new program to mess with them more covertly.

any most of what I was saying, was to give you insight into her personality, not judge his past actions.  I am focusing on the current one of cheating on the interview (which he acknowledges is cheating, and defends it by saying he forgot to do the assignment till the last minute)

is it a he or a her? also, seriously, why do you care what another person does, in prison caring to much about what another person does will get you shanked. dont get shanked!
please ignore the above post, it is most likely worthless and a waste of your time to read.
TL;DR go on with your life while you still can.

Offline Pterrydactyl

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Funktuar
  • I'm Watching You...
  • has 146 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 02:51:27 pm »
Because, his actions have the possibility of effecting me.

If he gets caught and expelled, me and my remaining roommate have to come up with his $500 for his share of rent.  Plus, before with the MSI thing, I was one of the lab monitors in a lab the stuff happened in.
One Vision, One Purpose.

Is Dat My IMDB???

How Mogar talks on skype

Leo

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Six years of Random Insanity Five years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of Great War III RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Unjust War Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »

If he gets caught and expelled, me and my remaining roommate have to come up with his $500 for his share of rent.  Plus, before with the MSI thing, I was one of the lab monitors in a lab the stuff happened in.
I'm confused here. If you turn him in, then he's definitely not paying his share of the rent, so that's a moot point.
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Quote from: Crazyman93
Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

C-zom

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 06:15:19 pm »
I read the first few lines and from that I think you should just ignore it. Such practices will catch up with him sooner or later. Particularly if he goes to college/uni. No need to nark.

Offline Buck Turgidson

• Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!
  • RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • He'll see the big board!
  • Awards Has been Head of Recruitment Has been Head of Military Operations The Disorder War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 11.13" long.
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Spank my ass and call me Judy.
  • Nation: Darwinium of Slugs
  • Ruler: GrilledSlug
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »

So much for your code - you are putting personal loss above integrity.

You should look at the educational value he presents you with: You are in the same classes, and he bullshits, and you don't, but you get the same scores.  You will run into this your whole life, so the question is how do you beat this type of person? 

Your choices are simple: 

1) Asymetrical competition (as you are doing now), in which you try to exemplify the best of what a confused and somewhat malformed sense of integrity can offer, and he bullshits.  Sharpen your integrity, and go to the wall to win (and you don't need to rat him out to do that, but should not be refraining because of the rent).

2) Symetrical competition (ie pull him down to your level, or take a leap to his).  Then try to beat him at his own game.  Or do you know you don't have his gifts, or the power and integrity to bring him down?

I never did well in school, but I never cheated.  But I have always been able to conceive strategy, communicate well, form and intelligent argument, execute, and learn from my retarded forays.  We all have gifts, and to be successful, we need to press those strengths against opponents' weaknesses whenever it counts.  Sometimes facts are needed to get the job done, and sometimes fluff is needed to keep people on task.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317