Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: llamavore's minirant movie review emporium  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Fake from State Jarm

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 12.91" long.
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://
  • Nation: Clichesia
  • Ruler: Huffy MacSmucklesberg
llamavore's minirant movie review emporium
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:27:23 pm »
some of you undoubtedly miss my walls of text from ages past. walls which, some say, can still be found in forgotten corners of the RIA boards,  as if standing guard against an army of ghost invaders, or against time itself.

anyway I'm going to review The Intern (7.2 on imdb). First I will sum it up in 1 sentence as a TL;DR

Robert DeNiro does great playing an ex-retiree working for a startup internet company, but about 3/4 through the writing falls apart and he's just enabling his workaholic female boss (anne hathaway) to avoid any responsibility for her homelife.

Now for the real spoilers: two (ok maybe 3) scenes stand out to me when it comes to saying why this movie falls short. And this movie starts out really great and does well for a while, but then it loses it.

Scene 1 -- Bob deniro is in bar with his boss and fellow interns. She gets drunk and condescends to them about how Bob the 70 year old is the real man and it's so sad that men have been neglected due to feminism, to the point that they turn into the other male interns. Ok, the writers are making a good point. Not a bad scene in itself.

Scene 2 -- Bob deniro is on a business trip with his boss, they talk about the fact that her husband is cheating on her. She is looking at it from different angles, because the business trip is about getting another CEO to take over so she can spend more time at home. He says, I hate to be the feminist here, but don't give up the CEO position just to keep your husband from cheating on you. You don't have to be a feminist to make that point, feminists didn't invent divorcing cheaters, but also it's disingenuous. more on that later.

Scene 3 -- Anne Hathaways' husband is in her office, confessing and pleading with her not to give up her CEO position just because he cheated, because he feels guilty. She had already decided not to give up anything. This scene is just to sum up the fantasy of zero female responsibility and make sure lead female gets best possible result.

Now here's what all this adds up to. First, of course it's not her fault he cheated on her. But it is her fault he got to the point that he wanted to. The backstory is, he was more successful than her but gave up the position to be a stay at home dad so she could run her company full time. Then he's talking about being stressed out, and her not having enough time for the family. He keeps talking about her getting another CEO so they can fix the homelife. The film continually highlights her being an antisocial workaholic with bad priorities.

So if he hadn't cheated, if he had just said, hey I want to cheat, and that means this marriage is shit, so I'll just divorce instead of cheating -- then all the blame would be on her. She would have had to seriously consider prioritizing her kid and her husband over being in 100% control of her company.

The cheating is just used as a plot device to avoid the female lead having to change or compromise or do anything besides whatever she wants. And the writers have Bob deniro, the manly dynamo of the film's cast, say fuck that guy, as if to remove all empathy for anyone other than the main female lead.

How does Scene 1 play into this? First, the scene by itself is good because it shows that her concern for the interns is superficial -- if she really cared she wouldn't be condescending to them. She snubs males while talking about the plight of males. It would be clever but the rest of the plot disagrees with it -- she literally neglects her husband's perspective and that is not portrayed as ironic, but as a good thing. Also in scene 2 they give the most cursory recognition of what it could do to her daughter if her marriage fails. 1 line each. But none of her actions from then on are about saving her marriage or family.

Second off, that scene highlights something about bob's character -- he is the ultimate white knight. Hathaway says in that scene, they don't make them like they used to, look at bob here, and look at you guys (psh). Bob never displays any serious character flaws, always has women fawning over him, is an expert in everything, mentors everyone, has great lines -- a sort of mary sue (marty stu?) character. A shallow perfect character which is typical of bad writing. Deniro plays it great but that's still what it is. And its' written to be ultimately supportive of the female lead, to prop up and validate her. The hilarious thing is they make light of how he uses handkerchiefs and this is a throwback to chivalry -- which is a very role oriented thing directly opposed to feminist ideals.

So ultimately the message here is, real women put their job and their personal ambitions ahead of everything else, and real men, truly noble, strong, balanced men like sir Robert of House Deniro, also put those women and their jobs and their ambitions, ahead of everything else. And luckily the husband 'redeems himself' by also capitulating, saying forget the family, forget the kid, do whatever you want. Other perspectives are glossed over briefly, as if to satisfy the feminist conscience, while the ending firmly reiterates the 'you go girl' sentiment. basically it's fuck man-bitches, get money, feminist remix.

I'm not even mad, it's just funny because this is a fantasy engaged by so many people in my generation, and apparently inspiring successful, million dollar movies. The idea that oppression and social injustice, real or imagined or somewhere in between, makes it ok to put yourself first, neglect commitments and treat people like shit. Honestly I think people store up a lot of pain inside, and it warps their perception of things and feeds delusions, and movies like this are the result.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:33:46 pm by Jake from State Farm »

LOL I'm kidding I'm not coming back to CN. >_>
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Six years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Four years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Karma War RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
Re: llamavore's minirant movie review emporium
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 02:31:20 pm »
I read about half of that and then stopped. I love you more than gangs, llama

And I fucking hate you, you piece of shit llama.
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Quote from: Crazyman93
Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

Offline what the pluck

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 05:38:58 pm »
Who is llamavore and which part of this is "mini"?
いいじゃない

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Six years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Four years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Karma War RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:24:44 pm »
His penis.

BOOM, YOU JUST GOT DOUBLE TEAM, BRAH!!!!
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Quote from: Crazyman93
Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

Offline im317

• looking for new title
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Cactimus Prime
  • looking for new personal text
  • Awards Veteran of the Baldr War The Disorder War Was a member of the SuperFriends delegation Formerly a member of PotD Alliance Veteran of the Equilibrium War Inductee of the Golden Dong Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Has been a Triumvir Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been a diplomat RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized Mars! Was elected to be Captain Planet Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 38.72" long.
  • has 794 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: im317
  • Ruler: im317
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:06:51 pm »
wow i watched The Intern on Monday. i didn't notice most of what you did because the damn movie was 20-30 minutes to long. now i have no issue with 2 or even 3 hour long movies, so long as they should actually be that long. this movie simply has useless scenes that make it drag on, cut some of that shit and maybe i would have been paying enough attention in the second half of the movie to pick up what you did.
Silly child. You should know the RIA can't die. This place is like a zombie, but without a brain so even a head shot won't do it.

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • LEGENDARY SPACE SUPER WARRIOR!
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Veteran of the Karma War Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been a diplomat Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 13.72" long.
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Shadortha
  • Ruler: Pancaeks
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 03:01:27 am »
I read about half of that and then stopped. I love you more than gangs, llama

<%Leo[RIA]> it's better to be feared than respected
<%Leo[RIA]> especially if you lost that respect mentally raping them with spam
Yeah, fuck you.
Those kind of pictures really don't do it for me. To each their own, I suppose.
Not enough goats?
Oh look, a kenny, i have found.
He likes his tits, all firm and round.
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.
His hair is purdy, it touches the ground.

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 03:14:48 am »

the tl;dr part in the beginning was the mini part. I was going to put the rest in spoilers, but then I didn't. enjoy

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline Buck Turgidson

• Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!
  • RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • He'll see the big board!
  • Awards Has been Head of Recruitment Has been Head of Military Operations The Disorder War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 11.13" long.
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
    • Spank my ass and call me Judy.
  • Nation: Darwinium of Slugs
  • Ruler: GrilledSlug
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:51:30 am »
Does this portend the return of the Llamavore? Remember, there are implications...

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Has assisted the HoE in the economics dept Veteran of the Karma War Has been a member of the Recruitment Leadership Team Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been a diplomat Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 03:31:06 am »

the tl;dr part in the beginning was the mini part. I was going to put the rest in spoilers, but then I didn't. enjoy

Do one for deadpool.
Id be interested to read it.
Criticize it once and ill cut you.
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Has been Head of Recruitment Has been Head of Military Operations The Disorder War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Dave War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »
Deadpool - is that the latest Spiderman, re-imagined?

Offline Gangs

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 165 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 04:46:20 pm »
Deadpool - is that the latest Spiderman, re-imagined?
Imma cut you man
Yeah, fuck you.
Not enough goats?
He's old as hay,
Some think he's gay.

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 02:08:41 am »
Sorry man - I mean Daredevil, not Spiderman.

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 10:22:56 pm »
I thought daredevil was fighting superman in the new daredevil movie. he had a new costume and everything

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:40:08 pm »
ok this doesn't qualify as a rant, since it won't be emotionally charged, but if you want to see a woman's-struggle-plot done right, see east side sushi. it's about a latina joining a traditional japanese work environment.

the main character is relatable with humble beginnings and a good attitude.

she isn't a douche struggling to pretend she's not a douche. she's struggling because life is hard.

she isn't disrespectful of men or of other cultures just because she's not included in them. she works hard to contribute to the good things she sees in them.

she doesn't divide herself from every other group while disagreeing with them. she doesn't alienate everyone. she wins them over with her character and hard work.

she doesn't make it into a fight from a minority identity. she deserves what she deserves because she is a person. she doesn't act like a victim or carry a vendetta or a grudge. she just develops her talent, and that is what should qualify someone to be an exception to any norm. exceptional talent.

really it's not a woman's-struggle-plot, it's a human struggle, which is why it works imo. in fact I hope this helps people to see, you don't have to join an ism to address problems in society. you change society by engaging it from within, not by splintering off into a subculture.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:44:00 pm by Jake from State Farm »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • The Taste of Jeff Goldblum
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Unjust War Four years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry
  • war boner is 9.5" long.
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 11:26:14 pm »
Star Wars was a great movie

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 02:57:35 am »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Buck Turgidson

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • has 341 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:11 am »
Star Wars was a great movie

Then there was The Force Awakens. Karma.

BTW Jake, some guy on imgur is posing as you. TheTiger22:

http://imgur.com/user/TheTiger22

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 43 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317