Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: The point of life?  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Fake from State Jarm

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 12.91" long.
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://
  • Nation: Clichesia
  • Ruler: Huffy MacSmucklesberg
The point of life?
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2008, 02:53:49 am »
the tradition of capital punishment?

LOL I'm kidding I'm not coming back to CN. >_>
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline Nicolás San Jorge

• RItiree - burritos
  • Baby Cactus
  • Awards One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity
    • View Profile
The point of life?
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »
Actually yes in a particular sense. The point in our social structures is constructed on the basis of the scapegoat mechanics, as suggest René Girard, a french sociologist. An innocent victim is charged, we kill him/her, and that is the foundational moment of our society, as we are united against the scapegoat, and we pass the level of the nature state. Of course, Girard says also that this mechanics lose its validity when it is put into the light; that happened with the Passion of Christ.
I'm not gonna keep in charge of the last argument. I only will say that we have to merge this mechanics with the crime.
If anything, only faith.

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
The point of life?
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2008, 02:48:11 am »
I would think the foundational moment of society is when they're united enough to kill anyone they perceive as dangerous enough (whether they are right or it is just a scapegoat pretense). however for a society to be united in killing the innocent tends to be self destructive, because the sense of innocence is part of the code the members of society use to figure out how to behave in a way that keeps them in the society and keeps them from being a victim of it. if they see their victim as innocent, which is more likely if the victim is innocent, then they are less likely to feel the society will not turn on them.

so society is most stable, most trusted, and therefore most social, when it exhibits to its own members and to prospective members, that it doesn't kill the innocent, or anymore than necessary to survive. how to do that is hard to pin down and it's all gray but still, the perception of society's good intent and usefulness towards individuals, is what gets societies started and keeps them going, by individuals.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:48:38 am by llamavore »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline Shadow Addict

• RItiree - burritos
  • Cactus
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave
    • View Profile
The point of life?
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:52 pm »
Pretty sure we talked about this one before, C-zoom, but basically:

Quote from: Commisar Gaunt
Ok, I apologize.  I feel that their is no meaning to life, other than the meaning you assign to it.  Literally, you could live a life utterly devoid of meaning, but it can be argued that you still "lived."

The meaning is what you make of it.

I do believe that "why are you "you"" is quite a different topic.  Are you talking about identity, or why yo

This in that you should do whatever you want to do with life and nothing moar.

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
The point of life?
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2008, 06:27:43 am »
you're commisar gaunt? aren't you in MK?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:

• RItiree - burritos
  • Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
The point of life?
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2009, 07:33:55 pm »
The society founded upon a scapegoat (always innocent, would say Girard) does not perceive actually its victim as innocent. The scapegoat had enraged the gods, killed his mother, or simply for its conditions (children/virgins killed to appease the gods). All of these excuses only mask the innocence of the original victim.
The society reflects that foundational moment in order to not devolve to the bellum omnium contra omnes, the war of all against all.
If anything, only faith.

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
The point of life?
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2009, 01:24:03 am »
well I dont think we actually leave a 'nature state.' what we consider justice is IMO just an evolution of herd or pack behavior, where we are banding together to protect ourselves from a threat, except that we are plentiful enough that we compete with eachother, and are wolves and sheep to eachother.

the strength of the tradition of herd protection from its own members, in our case depends on how much everyone agrees the killing of the scapegoat was warranted by an actual danger in the scapegoat. and how much we agree on that does have something to do with how dangerous the scapegoat actually was.

to support this tradition, the herd members need to 1. be in touch with the reality of whatever danger the victim represents, (at which point they will instinctively feel their right to end that danger) 2. believe in the herd or society's awareness of that same danger to be accurate and in agreement, 3. believe that the danger is substantive enough to warrant lethal force (ex. the danger itself is lethal or may cause severe irreperable damage such as mental damage), 4. believe in the herd's ability to execute the victim in the most surgical but efficient manner with minimal repercussions beyond the victim.

the sense of one's own right to live is based in instinct. the recognition of this instinct in others is the basis of society IMO. so without 1. the individual will not feel that it is rightful/necessary to support the tradition. without 2. then 4. would be impossible, but also without 2., even if 4. were the case, the individual would feel that the other individuals, the herd, were enforcing the tradition for unrightful/unnecessary reasons, and such use represents a threat because 1. not only makes the individual feel rightful in self defense by proxy, but by making sure the individual only supports the tradition rightfully, it let's the individual separate themself from the victim (and sometimes correctly) and thus disqualify themselves from becoming the next victim. so without 2. then the individual doesn't know that the  individuals subject themselves to 1. and if they do not, they'd be qualifying themselves to be victims of the tradition. 1. operates on the basis of society, the assumption that all similar creatures have a similar right to live because they share a similar desire to live and have thus agreed to cooperate. the agreement, assumed though it may often be, is what grants the rights. the tradition of herd protection from herd member via lethal force, basically says that when someone breaks the agreement they render themself on the outside of the agreement, and the agreement-keepers are the society. specifically the victim breaks the agreement in such a way that forces someone to choose between their right to live, and the victim's right to live. It is considered part of the agreement that you dont force this choice on anyone. By forcing it you break the agreement and give up the rights the agreement gave you, at which point, all other things being equal, you have no right to live.
/tangent
3. is really just an extension of 1. and 4. is simply the recognition that if the herd can't protect an individual the individual can protect themselves. without 4 individuals will resort to direct self-defense.

tldr

you could simplify it to 1. you perceive yourself as being member of herd via agreement of society 2. you feel lethally or extremely endangered 3. you perceive that your feelings are shared or empathized with by herd 4. you perceive that herd is capable of ending endangerment better than yourself.

in the context where these criteria are met, it's likely your support for the tradition would continue as a natural social behavior, functioning as a combination of cooperation and self-defense. Your perceptions of these criteria will also be effected by whether reality echoes the criteria and how accurate your perception of reality is. As the realities of the individual, the victim, and the herd grow and expand, the perception of reality becomes more difficult and all the criteria are effected. the main reason I see today that the tradition has waned, is that the size of society by itself as well as the complexity of human behavior due to that size, has to some extent removed a logical understanding of what danger exists and how it works. people are less sure of both their safety and endangerment, and are thus less commited to traditions in general; because society is changing so rapidly, there is not a proper environment for old traditions to be modified appropriately or for new ones to form. Expect this to continue for as long technological progress is unchecked, or until societies learn to invest in cultural development simultaneously to other necessities, which would mean losing arms races.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:35:12 am by llamavore »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:

• RItiree - burritos
  • Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
The point of life?
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:42 am »
At this point, I should have to say an ad hominem argument: It's a clear particularity of the english-spoken people manner of thinking to not understand that the human being does not behave as a pendulum between individualism and herd mentality.
But, in fine you should see that the four sentences that you have pointed are equally the same that the law & order movement has as argument for capital punishment. So, we can imagine the same thing in older societies. The Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan can show that, even though you won't believe in anything said in that book. Me neither.
The latter thing is oriented to a thing well explained as an anomie, and is very used in social science; even within the Law.
If anything, only faith.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317