Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: HIP-HOP CONVENTION FOR THE UNINFORMED  (Read 647 times)

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
HIP-HOP CONVENTION FOR THE UNINFORMED
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:57:30 pm »
this convention is inspired by a conversation with zblewskie that said he didn't like the genre. also, some of you RIAre (or visitors) feel that this genre has nothing to offer and is only about bling-bling, degrading women, and violence. this topic is not saying you have to like hip-hop, but rather that you should respect it and understand that it's just as promising and authentic as any other art-form or musical genre.

i know i overly criticize music (especially loren's, but that's a matter of opinion) but i still try to listen to everything and try to be open minded (except for loren's music taste. jk! :P). so hopefully this will.

Quote from: hottnikkels

Hip hop is in many ways the most innovative and consistently evolving music genre around, as well as the newest. So yeah, you've got The Game and 50 Cent, but for those guys there is a creative flank, as is the case with ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.

Check it;
Unsatisfied with 50?  Listen to MF Doom.
Don't dig The Game?  Try Blackalicious.
Absolutely hate Eminem?  Please. get to Aesop Rock.
Craving for some creative rap in the mainstream? Outkast.

I can name more shitty rock acts than I can rap acts.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The possibilities with rap are as endless as any other genre. I don't see why people continue to single out the genre of hip-hop as something less substantial or less promising than any other artform. Hip-hop has the ability to incorporate anything and everything a person chooses to fuse it with. Just because YOU don't see a huge amount of variety in alot of hip-hop doesn't mean it isn't happening. Hip-hop is the youngest of all the tonicular genres, it's only been around for 20 years and it's been evolving and growing since it's birth just like every other genre of music. Hip-hop can go where ever you can take it, and you can be as creative as your mind will allow you to be, you don't have to sample or loop anything, you can put together a rock band and make hip-hop music, you can put together a jazz trio and make hip-hop music, you can put together a damn polka group and make hip-hop music if you want to, or you can fuse all of those genres together and make hip-hop music and you could stay true to the form and retain the essence and spirit thats existed in hip-hop since the beginning. American tonicular rock didn't start until the late 40's and it was 20 years after that when Sgt. Pepper was released and made people aware of all of it's possibilities. I'm already aware of hip-hop's potential and thanks to the open-mindedness of the youth, all of the great music to be inspired by, and p2p internet sharing the most creative minds of this young and already impressive genre are still yet to be seen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=647681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You need to rip your head from your ass and try to open your ears to some genuinely innovative music, rock and roll borrows from itself all the time, but since you need a reason to condemn an entire genre you can't accept it's being done in rap.  Hip hop is the most vocally based music form, it relies on a person being actually talented at writing lyrics and following a poetic meter. I repeat, take your head out of your ass, then listen to some music you've never heard before, read a book, then kill yourself.

AND ITS ORIGINAL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=519003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be quite honest, there is more of a sense of discovery, independence, freshness, and relevance to hip hop than there is in rock right now. Even currently good bands like The Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene exist on the basis of foundations laid by bands before them whereas hip-hop is the only medium with something to say. Just because there is much oxshit on the radio does not constitute the dismissal of an entire genre.

In fact, I'd argue there is more of an intellectual sense of criticism in hip-hop than there ever was in rock. Rarely, excluding the lyrical dryness of certain bands during the punk era, has there been a rock band with the same weight lyrically - rock bands seem to only criticize society in terms of their musical approach. With hip-hop, the ideas are substantiated by the music and then subsequently prevalent in the wordplay and furthermore, through sampling, hip-hop always can retain a fresh identity. If anything rock is more visceral and less thought out than rap, so I don't want to hear anymore of this oxshit about the lack of intellect in hip-hop. A couple of bad apples on the radio don't ruin rock music - I don't see why the same shouldn't hold true for hip-hop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=463432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That WAS well said and that concludes our first ever hip-hop convention for the uninformed, but wait, I know a lot of you are thinking well I'm hearing all of these great things, but where can I find these albums and what are they. Well your in luck cause here are a few good hip-hop albums to download and I encourage others to add onto this list with their own posts.

[a href=\"http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:zgd8vwria92k]Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030[/url]
MF Doom - MM Food
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Binary Star - Masters Of The Universe
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde
Dalek - Absence
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 1
Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Jneiro Jarel - Three Piece Puzzle
Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce
Time Machine - Slow Your Roll
Panacea - Ink Is My Drink
Subtle - For Hero: For Fool
J Dilla - Donuts
King Gheedorah  - Take Me To Your Leader
Flying Lotus - 1983
Dr. Octagon - Dr Octagonacologyst
Q-Tip - Kamaal The Abstract
Dj Shadow - Endtroducing
DM (Danger Mouse) and Gemini - Ghetto tonic Life
Organized Konfusion - Organized Konfusion
The Roots - The Roots Come Alive
Boom Bip & Doseone - Circle
Outkast - Stankonia
RjD2 - Deadringer
Souls of Mischief - 93 Till Infinity
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Cage - Hell's Winter
Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
Nas - Illmatic
Digable planets - Reachin
Yesterday's New Quintet - Angles Without Edges
Blackstar - Blackstar
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
Madlib - Shades of Blue
Common - Resurrection
Quasimoto - The Unseen
The foreign Exchange - Connected
13 and God - 13 and God
Cyne - Evolution Fight
DangerDoom - The Mouse and The Mask
Gza - liquid swords
Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Sound Directions - The Funky Side Of Life

Please feel more than free to post this link anytime you feel it's necessary, and hopefully this convention will save some of us a lot of time and energy in the future.
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

Offline Ganon5

• Furious Panda
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Unjust War RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized Mars! Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 0.7" long.
  • has 67 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=797919207
  • Nation: Desperation
  • Ruler: Furious Panda
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:50:00 am »
Why do you want people to like hip hop so bad?

wethepeople

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 01:04:14 am »
Um, I didn't read anything besides the first paragraph, but I don't limit my musical tastes. If my mood calls for it I'll listen to Heavy Metal, soft rock, electronica, or whatever the hell I feel like. Even Hip Hop on rare, rare occasions. Its not a favorite genre of mine but I don't dislike it either. I just prefer other genres heavily.

The only music I hate is Blues, Country, Ska and real punk.

Offline King Pengu

• RIctuar
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:08:51 am »
I like American Hip Hop. Especially Gangsta Rap. Best one is 2Pac, of course. German Gangsta Rap is for shit, but other German Hip Hop bands are awesome, too.

I'm open for any music, even if I don't like some types much.
<--Click to meet

This Signature has been made by Mudkip. All rights on this Sig are reserved to Mudkip.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:12:54 pm »
because i'm tired of people bashing it without any real groundings. i mean, one thing is not liking it, but another thing is just having your head too far up your ass and saying that "rock r000lz" because it's "supposedly more creative. i'm not saying you need to like it READ THE FIRST PARAGRAPH.
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

Offline Flask

• Flaskington Bearonimus
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Has been Head of Internal Affairs
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
    • http://flaskbear.newgrounds.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:30:24 pm »
I give a thumbs up to hip hop, and a thumbs down to rap. Rap is a loud beat and a guy talking about things I don't really care about.

Hyperonic ~ "I finally have enough evidence to prove that Flask is in fact a bear."
Kaiser ~ "This topic is a lie. Flask has thought of everything ever."

Offline King Pengu

• RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:10:26 pm »
Well, I don't understand most of American rap, only if I read it. So I don't really care bout the lyrics. I just like it.
<--Click to meet

This Signature has been made by Mudkip. All rights on this Sig are reserved to Mudkip.

Offline Flask

• Flaskington Bearonimus
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Has been Head of Internal Affairs
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
    • http://flaskbear.newgrounds.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 01:06:07 pm »
I feel that Hip Hop is pretty much dead at this point, because gangsta rap has taken over. We should take a lead from the 90's and go back to the HH.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:06:19 pm by Flask »

Hyperonic ~ "I finally have enough evidence to prove that Flask is in fact a bear."
Kaiser ~ "This topic is a lie. Flask has thought of everything ever."

Offline King Pengu

• RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:57:35 am »
Maybe. I like American Gangster Rap, I just hate German Gangster Rap.

But REAL Hip Hop I like in both languages. What did Will Smith once say? "I think that Rappers today don't really know how to rap. They just stand there dissing others" or something like that.
<--Click to meet

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 1.071 seconds with 34 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317