Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: I am extremely offended by American Idol.  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Flask

• Flaskington Bearonimus
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Has been Head of Internal Affairs
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
    • http://flaskbear.newgrounds.com/
I am extremely offended by American Idol.
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:17:36 pm »
As a humanist, the ending song of 'Idol Gives Back', called "Shout to the Lord", seriously offended me. I really could not believe that they would sing an incredibly religious song on a show like American Idol. I've watched the show throughout it's duration as a time to "hang" with my mom, and all this time they've never done something like this. It's just unbelievable. Here's the performance, for those who didn't watch:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXEraRnE4o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXEraRnE4o</a>

I mean, hell, this song isn't even inspirational. It's just praising the lord! And then they sang it AGAIN on tonight's program! What is wrong with this show? It is not necessary, nor is it right to sing something like this on the biggest show in America. They've just completely turned off one of their viewing families.

I'm upset.

Hyperonic ~ "I finally have enough evidence to prove that Flask is in fact a bear."
Kaiser ~ "This topic is a lie. Flask has thought of everything ever."

Offline Ganon5

• Furious Panda
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Unjust War RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has colonized Mars! Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 0.7" long.
  • has 67 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=797919207
  • Nation: Desperation
  • Ruler: Furious Panda
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:22:06 pm »
Were you expecting it to be good?

Offline iron snake

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:37:33 pm »
I couldn't watch the whole thing, annoys me almost as much as youtubes bias towards christians they won't let me comment on anything like this!

Offline Secundo

• Cactuar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theredline.org
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:43:02 pm »
Wow that's awesome!

I bet Simon is hating this, last week he seemed to get edgy when Dolly Parton sang about Jesus and Brooke White made a comment on it, finally something positive for Christianity on a network other than TBN!

Thanks for the link Flask.

Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

Quote from: DrunkWino
Damn, that's about as close as I've ever seen Ambassador Light get to tell somebody to go fuck themselves.

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 08:45:02 pm »
i dont even like the show, and i listened to a bit of the song (like a few seconds) before i said scroo it

Offline IronSoldier820

• TTK Ambassador
  • Cactuar
  • It's My Dick in a Box
    • View Profile
    • The Templar Knights
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:06:08 pm »
...are you serious?

Edit: You know what, screw it. That little comment didn't really cut it for me.

Are you telling me you were offended because Christianity, for once, made its appearance on American Idol? Its on, I don't know, its the 7th season right? So they play one Christian song, out of the entire Christian genre (including Christian Rock or whatever alternate genres they have), and you get pissy?

Why is it that freedom of speech is important, and then somebody sings one song about religion, and you get offended?

You know what, I think I'm quite ironic. The only thing that truly "offends" me is when other people act offended. I've been slightly offended, sure. Some things have come off to me as bad taste. I've done things in bad taste, I'm sure. But when you go pissy about it and complain about it like its the end of the world and the last nail in the coffin, then you know what? Screw you.

I don't even like American Idol. Hell, I've been on enough forums to see people persecute Christians for being overbearing that it doesn't really bug me that much anymore. But when I read your post, I couldn't tell if you were just being sarcastic or if you were serious.

I'm hoping you'll come back at me saying you're being sarcastic so I can look like an idiot posting this and I won't have to worry about being responsible for starting a g'damn religious flame war in the Random Insanity forum.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:12:37 pm by IronSoldier820 »

Quote from: Loren
I could care less if they murdered a town of babies, but if they killed the dog.. <__<

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave
  • war boner is 0.26" long.
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Casterly Rock
  • Ruler: leonardothered
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:11:01 pm »
>.>

So would you be mad if they sang a song about Judaism?

Some of the greatest songs of this century are about the Christian God. It's a good song, even if the lyrics are a worship song. Singing a song isn't them foisting their religion on you, they're just singing a song.
A Lannister always pays his debts

Offline DrunkWino

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 09:24:36 pm »
Quote from: Flask
I really could not believe that they would sing an incredibly religious song on a show like American Idol.

Why not? I mean, it's not for me to tell you not to get offended or anything, but why is it so unbelievable that they would sing a religious song? And why isn't it right for a TV show to use their freedom of expression to sing about whatever they please?
Vote Cthulhu 2016

Offline Grand Poobah Marx

• RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has recruited a member into the RIA Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 5.89" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: North Place
  • Ruler: Grand Poobah Marx
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 09:28:50 pm »
It's not good or bad.  There's no reason to get pissy, it's just singing a song.  If an African animist song was played, would you make this thread?  Probably not.

It's freedom of speech; it works both ways: people can speak against religion; they can also speak for it.
Master Raider

[span style="color:#48D1CC"]cave laborem[/span]

Quote from: llamavore
I say listen to the gay jew.

Offline Flask

• Flaskington Bearonimus
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Has been Head of Internal Affairs
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »
Quote from: Shyox
So would you be mad if they sang a song about Judaism?

Yes is the answer to that.

By the way, I really don't care what you guys say. I don't need "praise the f**king lord!" shouted in my face by that song when I choose to believe in humans instead.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:21:25 pm by Flask »

Hyperonic ~ "I finally have enough evidence to prove that Flask is in fact a bear."

Offline Adolf Von Sippycup

• Cactuar
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 11:22:48 pm »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Kirby07/Explosm/2007/crucify.png
In a perfect world the mentally handicapped will lead the blind.

Offline Flask

• Flaskington Bearonimus
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 11:26:43 pm »
Praise the scarecrow.

Offline Damnsammit

• Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 04:26:01 am »
Turn the TV off, then...  ?

Also, I didn't know people still watched American Idol.

The first season was great and all, and sometimes watching Simon tell it how it is can be entertaining, but it got boring after that weird elf lookin' dude in the 2nd season almost won.

Also, why does it surprise you that the Christian religion would be placed in a show that is on Fox?  

Furthermore, you shouldn't get offended.  It's public television and they have every right to incorporate any religion/views that they wish.  I
t's also your right to change the channel.

I'm just an apathetic Jewish-Agnostic, though, so what do I know.....

Offline Flask

• Flaskington Bearonimus
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 09:17:43 am »
Screw it, the show is rigged anyways.

Offline DrunkWino

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 10:01:47 am »
Some how, this stikes me as approprate here.

[embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/hwbt_mcs1j0&rel=1\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"355\"][/embed]
Vote Cthulhu 2016

Offline dester55

• Floridian Tribal Elder
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Overlooked member of the RIA
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Equilibrium War Five years of Random Insanity Has been a diplomat IIDA Graduate and Cadet Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Has been Head of Recruitment Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Karma War Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 18.67" long.
  • has 189 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: kamicassis
  • Ruler: dester55
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 01:54:26 pm »
why would you even watch American idol?

its one of the shittiest show EVER.

When everyone rage quits I start taking my clothes off.

Offline Fake from State Jarm

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War
  • war boner is 12.91" long.
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://
  • Nation: Clichesia
  • Ruler: Huffy MacSmucklesberg
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 02:09:53 pm »
freedom of religion =/= only exhibiting religion when humanists aren't looking.

your offense at them displaying religion on their own time and property, is no different from someone thinking it's wrong for people to sing nonreligious songs in the same time and place.

religious people aren't the only ones who have to be tolerant. everyone has to be tolerant.

LOL I'm kidding I'm not coming back to CN. >_>
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline MarioParty

• Cactus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 02:54:56 pm »
Uhh, I'm almost positive there have been tons of Christian songs done on American Idol. Are you saying that nobody has ever sung a gospel song on there before?

Offline Joker

• RIctuar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nothingface/
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 03:09:51 pm »

If this offends you, I hope you don't spent too much time outside in the real world, or else you may NEVER stop being offended.
Now in NpO. Take that as you will.

Offline Flask

• Flaskington Bearonimus
  • RItiree - burritos
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 05:49:01 pm »
I'm offended by Joker.

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 47 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317