Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Let's have a religious debate in the middle of this board!  (Read 3157 times)

Offline evil greg guy

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Was elected to be Captain Planet
    • View Profile
    • http://
Let's have a religious debate in the middle of this board!
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 05:39:41 pm »
I am not religious, but i feel that religion has the right to their beliefs and such, as long as religion has no hold on politics, education, medical care, etc etc.

To me, the concept of faith is to blindly put ones trust into something, without truly knowing that it exists. It is the CHOICE to believe. So when you ask someone WHY they believe, it isn't fair, because they have faith. They dont KNOW it exists, but it is their choice to believe that it does.
"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset....people DIE!!!"
                                         - Dr. Evil

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave
  • war boner is 0.26" long.
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Casterly Rock
  • Ruler: leonardothered
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 03:51:02 pm »
First page reader.

<i>One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.
-- Albert Einstein, echoing Robert Green Ingersoll ("I admit that reason is a small and feeble flame, a flickering torch by stumblers carried in the star-less night, -- blown and flared by passion's storm, -- and yet, it is the only light. Extinguish that, and nought remains." from the Field-Ingersoll Debate), quoted from PhysLink.com</i>

"Question #5: Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?"

there's nothing wrong with slavery if it is consensual. as for forced slavery, i dont know if the bible god is a proponent of that. it's possible that society was not ready to give up slavery, and that the bible god did not ask them to be completely perfect, but just mitigated their imperfection. but who knows.

No widespread slavery has EVER been consensual. What are you talking about? And in the bible, it DEFINITELY promotes slavery, and hate. The bible specifically says to hate those who do things that are wrong, even though the gospel tells you to love everyone.

Another argument is that man wrote the bible... Which means that anything and everything has the oppurtunity to be completely infallible. It means that we can selectively pick and choose what parts of the bible we like and don't like, right? Sure, if that's what you want. But the whole point is that it could easily be fiction, because as you said, was written by man. There's nothing to say it was inspired by a divinity except thousands of people believing it is so and continuing to proliferate that fact. I say screw the bible, or atleast bring it back down to the level of the thousands of other meaningful works of literature.

I have a few questions of my own. Is it truly just for people to believe in a religion, simply because it will grant them heaven? Submitting to religion and a God out of fear and hope for reward is paganism, no different from the Incans, Aztecs, Greeks and Romans, whom we scoff at and call silly.

Why does God ask us to worship him? It just seems very egotistical and ridiculous, and without a point. The truth is that Christianity inherited this trait from the other religions it was born from.

I do, however, have the same views you do on Organized Religion.

Alright, time to read the other pages.
A Lannister always pays his debts

Offline liamfergie

• Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »
about the banana theorey it could be a possibility that it doesnt just fit perfectly for the mouth maybe god new there would be prozzies

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 29 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317