Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Let's have a religious debate in the middle of this board!  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • The Taste of Jeff Goldblum
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Four years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 9.5" long.
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
Let's have a religious debate in the middle of this board!
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:12:41 pm »
You might not like me as much after this topic, but, I think intelligent discussion on the things you believe or not believe in is overall healthy and should be encouraged over ignorance.

I will argue this with some good Youtube videos because I am lazy.

[embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/FZFG5PKw504&rel=1\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"355\"][/embed]

Okay, that wasn't fair. >_>

But, here, take a look at this next one.

[embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/zDHJ4ztnldQ&rel=1\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"355\"][/embed]

If your religious, how can you possibly argue with that last video?

If I question one of your beliefs you respond with It's just what I believe.

However, when one of my beliefs are questioned, I can at least come to either the following conclusion:

* I explain it with evidence to back it up.

or

* I don't know the answer.

And, it's okay I don't know the answer! You know why? Because, my beliefs aren't based on a book written by a backwards society thousands of years ago. It's based on the work of scientists, engineers, and other intelligent people that are trying to reverse the damage caused to our science, government, laws, and society by your religion!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:27:53 pm by BethanyM »

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards The Disorder War Veteran of the Equilibrium War Veteran of the Dave War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has colonized the Moon! Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the War of the Coalition RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Four years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »
[embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4yBvvGi_2A&rel=1\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"355\"][/embed]

And...now I'm officially trolling.

Offline iron snake

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:30:26 pm »
I agree that cival debate is a good thing but something tells me this won't end too nicely.

Offline iron snake

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:01:03 pm »
After watching the videos I have changed my mind and decided sod it.

The first videos is completely ignorant of other factors such as the chemical make up of the peanut butter and they take the new life theory far to litteraly it dosn't say it will form anywhere only under the right conditions and does nothing but demonstrate there intolerance and lack of scientific knowledge.Also simple life HAS been made in a laboratory before from nothing more than a few chemicals that were present during the ancient earth and under the same conditions as the ancient earth.

I didn't watch all of the second video so I can't comment.

The third one can be used the other way round aswell somebody could also say that the bannana has evolved this way because it scatters the seeds more effeciently and humans arn't the only ones that eat bannanas and not all cultures peel the skin off of the bannana.

There is a good video explaining what scientist believe about the origins of life but I can't find it anywhere when I find it I'll post it.

Offline enragedlobster

• RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has been Head of Economics RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry One year of Random Insanity Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Unjust War Has donated money for the RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA Has been a diplomat
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 26 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: goddammit
  • Ruler: certainly not
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:17:24 pm »
EDIT: lol i didn't read the first post

The first and third videos are hilariously stupid. That is all.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:23:12 pm by EnragedLobster »
fuck off

Offline iron snake

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:19:57 pm »
Not what I was looking for but it was funny so here is some random thingy!

[embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/http://youtube.com/watch?v=wBRxzHU2C5U&rel=1\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"355\"][/embed]

Dosn't seem to have worked right so here's the link
<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=wBRxzHU2C5U" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=wBRxzHU2C5U</a>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:21:10 pm by iron snake »

Offline pielord47

• the Lord of Pie
  • RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • the Lord of Pie
  • Awards Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 4.97" long.
  • has 16 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 03:41:48 pm »
FYI, religious debates never end well around here at all.
DON'T DO IT.
Ruling over pie since that one time a couple years ago.

Quote from: Wikipedia Article for Portal
Wolpaw further describes the idea of using cake as the reward came about as "at the beginning of the Portal development process, we sat down as a group to decide what philosopher or school of philosophy our game would be based on. That was followed by about 15 minutes of silence and then someone mentioned that a lot of people like cake."

Offline iron snake

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »
they rarely end well anywhere but when it's started it can be hard not to join in the debate.

Offline —-

• Cuba
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Internal Affairs
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 7 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 03:50:16 pm »
He...hehe..Banana's are so damn perfect.

Offline Fake from State Jarm

• Khakis
  • RIAer
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Two Years of Random Insanity Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 12.91" long.
  • has 212 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://
  • Nation: Clichesia
  • Ruler: Huffy MacSmucklesberg
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 06:18:40 pm »
the first video is ridiculous. the theory of abiogenesis, if my memory serves, requires a much greater time period and volume of conducive circumstance before life randomly self-generates. not to mention that if new life existed in a peanut butter jar, you wouldn't know just from looking.

the third video is also ridiculous. it could easily be argued that those features evolved either for other reasons, or to encourage the spreading of banana seeds through the digestion systems of the great apes.

the second video is the worst, because it claims to use critical thinking, and then makes a patent and disgusting mockery of it. but at least it gives content that can be debated.

"So here is question #1: Why won't God heal amputees?" here's a theory. in the biblical accounts jesus stated 'your faith has made you well.' it is easier to have faith that some unseen internal malady may be corrected, than to believe that an external deficiency which you have psychologically adapted to, will be materially reversed. faith is a fickle thing, and as nuanced as any other facet of psychology.

"We all know that amputated legs do not spontaneously regenerate in response to prayer. Amputees get no miracles from God."
this statement is impossible to prove. i.e. it is a belief.

"If you are an intelligent person, you have to admit that it's an interesting question On the one hand, you believe that God answers prayers and performs miracles. On the other hand, you know that God completely ignores amputees when they pray for miracles."
last sentence is not knowable, only believable. so if someone is intelligent, they automatically believe what you believe, and not only believe it, but believe it is not a belief but a fact? more mental faggotry.

"In order to handle it, notice that you have to create some kind of rationalization. You have to invent an excuse on God's behalf to explain this strange fact of life."

the same has to be done for any theory. just because water is lighter as a solid than as a liquid does not mean water is imaginary. we're always expounding and refining our theories with 'rationalizations.' that's all theories are, giant rationalizations with varying degrees of quality and evidence.

"Look out at our world and notice that millions of children are dying of starvation. It really is horrific. Why would God be worried about you getting a raise, while at the same time ignoring the prayers of these desperate, innocent little children? It really doesn't make any sense, does it? Why would a loving god do this?"
again, because god requires faith on the part of the people praying, and because god leaves the world largely under our control.

"To explain it, you have to come up with some sort of very strange excuse for God."

no, i built a rather simple hypothesis. spiritual intervention requires a certain degree of faith that is proportional to the amount of human decisions that would have to be overriden to provide the intervention. see how much smarter it sounds when i use scientifically connotative terms? jackass?

"Third question: Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?"
because to god, 'spiritual death' i.e. living in 'iniquity' was worse than physical death. and who knows, it's possible.

"Why would a loving God want us to murder our fellow human beings over such trivial matters?"
i don't know, but again, physical death may be a kind of mercy to this god, considering the scale of temporary physical life to eternal spiritual life. some people think that a shaky financial future is justification for aborting babies. perhaps these executions work on the same principle.

"That makes no sense, does it? In fact, if you think about it, you realize that it is insane. So you create some kind of rationalization to explain these verses."
it also makes no sense that the universe is expanding faster and faster, and that some galaxies stay together while rotating at speeds that should tear them apart. In fact, if you think about it, you realize it is insane. So you create some kind of rationalization to explain these phenomena. (but if you were as smart as you me you would realize it's all imaginary! it makes so much more sense that way. any evidence that contradicts our understanding of the universe is imaginary! if you're intelligent you'll agree.)

"Question #4: Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?"
what exactly is 'anti-scientific?' descriptions of phenomena that you can't explain? since when is something anti-scientific because science can't currently explain it?

"- God did not create the world in 6 days 6,000 years ago like the Bible says.
- There was never a worldwide flood that covered Mt. Everest like the Bible says.
- Jonah did not live inside a fish's stomach for three days like the Bible says.
- God did not create Adam from a handful of dust like the Bible says."

maybe god did, maybe god didn't. how the hell would you prove he didn't? since that is what you are claiming? or are you simply calling it nonsense because you can't imagine how it could happen? how is that scientific? make no mistake, atheism and science have nothing to do with eachother, because science makes no assumptions about god one way or the other.

"These stories are all nonsense. Why would an all-knowing God write nonsense? It makes no sense, does it?"
i.e. if the universe doesn't behave in a way i understand, it must be imaginary. how remarkably religious.

"Question #5: Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?"

there's nothing wrong with slavery if it is consensual. as for forced slavery, i dont know if the bible god is a proponent of that. it's possible that society was not ready to give up slavery, and that the bible god did not ask them to be completely perfect, but just mitigated their imperfection. but who knows.

"Question #6: Why do bad things happen to good people? That makes no sense. You have created an exotic excuse on God's behalf to rationalize it."

1st, no one is perfect, and if they were, they could not be harmed unless they allowed it. 2nd, just because a victim is not to blame for what happens, doesn't mean no one is to blame. specifically, bad things happen because bad decisions made over the generations are still fucking us all over. evidently god doesn't always exert direct control over the decisions of mortals, so bad things happen because people are stupid and the universe is imbalanced.

"Question #7: Why didn't any of Jesus' miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence? It's very strange, isn't it? You have created an excuse to rationalize it."

prove that they didn't. another stupid question. you might as well ask why you don't know the dietary habits of a man who died a thousand years ago who's body has not been discovered, or was completely destroyed. a. the evidence has been destroyed, b. the evidence has not been discovered, c. jesus had the foresight to avoid burritos evidence for whatever reason, d. any combination of the above. yes i created an excuse, just like newton created an excuse for an apple falling to the ground. (it's a theory)

"Question #8: How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you? Jesus is all-powerful and timeless, but if you pray for Jesus to appear, nothing happens. You have to create a weird rationalization to deal with this discrepancy."
assuming jesus hasn't appeared to me (for all i know he delivered the pizza), it's not a discrepancy. maybe jesus didn't feel like some jackass jumping around in pajamas shouting i have proof i have proof, hold still for the camera jesus... i would think that a supernatural being doesn't appear because a. they dont want to for whatever reason, b. they can't for whatever reason. there's really so many possibilities. perhaps it violates his principles... or the Prime Directive.

"Question #9 – Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood? It sounds totally grotesque, doesn't it? Why would al all-powerful God want you to do something that, in any other context, sounds like a disgusting, cannibalistic, satanic ritual?"

maybe he was speaking figuratively, as he often did? where's that critical thinking you were talking about... you dont seem to be putting it to use.

"And finally, Question #10 – Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians? Christians get married in front of God and their Christian friends, all of whom are praying to God for the marriage to succeed. And then they say, "What God has put together, let no man put asunder." God is all-powerful, so if God has put two people together that should seal the deal, right? Yet Christians get divorced at the same rate as everyone else. To explain this, you have to create some convoluted rationalization."
here's your convoluted rationalization, jackass; maybe god doesn't force people to stay married if they dont want to stay married. ZOMG SO BIXARRE

"blah blah blah condescending hypocritical oxshit as to why i dont feel obligated to use critical thinking unless it makes me feel smarter than religious ppl"

you've become what you hate.

i'm not a christian and i dont think the bible is 100% or infallible. and the explanations i gave are just theories and possibilities, they could be wrong. but i gave them as examples of why the guy in the 2nd video is abusing the term 'critical thinking' and making a mockery of science and logic. what you said kenny, about saying 'i dont know' that's really the answer that is right more often than any other ;] agnosticism ftw.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:22:22 pm by llamavore »

LOL I'm kidding I'm not coming back to CN. >_>
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have half a mind to ban your ass until the cabinet decide what to do with you, partly because you made me close like 25 threads and now I have to decide where to throw them

Offline —-

• Cuba
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Internal Affairs
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 7 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 06:29:48 pm »
Well fuck. He. Wait.

tl;dr

Offline iron snake

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 07:28:03 pm »
Also forgot to mention the obvious flaw in that whole banana argument-

This is a cultivated banana that you all know and love it has been selectively grown by humans for thousands of years to suit us.

and this is a wild banana completely different from the cultivated banana as you can see it's a hard to hold shape and full of seeds.

Offline Lanna

• Ministress of Secks
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Military Operations
  • has 1 llama
    • View Profile
    • http://realbigcheese.livejournal.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 10:37:07 am »
Quote from: BethanyM
And, it's okay I don't know the answer! You know why? Because, my beliefs aren't based on a book written by a backwards society thousands of years ago. It's based on the work of scientists, engineers, and other intelligent people that are trying to reverse the damage caused to our science, government, laws, and society by your religion!
I'm not sure about that... but I would think beliefs is a set of principles one person lives by.  It doesn't have to be based on anything, but what a person wants.  I'd like to think that most, if not all, intelligent people know this and would stop attacking other people's faith.  Of course, I know that many people people who follows the bible, etc can be assholes about their religion... and all I can say to that is: they're doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:39:44 am by Lanna »
Lebanese Proverb: Lower your voice and strengthen your argument.

Offline the infamous

• Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://soundclick.com/jimmykent
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:20 pm »
Quote from: BethanyM
[embed src=\"http://www.youtube.com/v/zDHJ4ztnldQ&rel=1\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"355\"][/embed]

If your religious, how can you possibly argue with that last video?

If I question one of your beliefs you respond with It's just what I believe.

However, when one of my beliefs are questioned, I can at least come to either the following conclusion:

* I explain it with evidence to back it up.

or

* I don't know the answer.

That video is the most moronic thing I have seen in 2008. Llamavore gave a lot of good reasons why it's ridiculous, but I'll give a few more.

It makes vast and baseless assumptions about the nature of people's faith by, for example, assuming an interventionist God.

It makes assumptions about the nature of rationalisations - that they are all weird and irrational, hence always calling them excuses.

It assumes that the faithful should necessarily understand and be able to explain God's actions - since God is a perfect being, and man is, by nature imperfect, it is ridiculous in the extreme to expect the imperfect to comprehend the perfect.

It assumes that the burden of proof definitively lies with other side - you cannot prove the non-existence of god, which is why militant atheism, such as displayed in that video, is a logically untenable position. You can believe that there is no God, but you cannot know that there is no God. Hence, agonsticism is the strongest rational non-deistic position.

Many of the 'answers' provided on the assumption that God is imaginary don't require God to be imaginary at all - he could just as easily be non-interventionist.

It's quite clear to me, as a philosophy student, that either this guy has never been anywhere near a critical thinking class or session, or he is such an unstoppable moron that his own atheistic dogma is entirely clouding his judgement, and any critical thinking he has picked up has been completely mauled by his desire to trick and deceive people into abandoning what may well be rationally and logically consistent beliefs.

I, for example, am a Christian. I have not a single problem answering any of the questions set out, because I am rational about my faith (he seems to assume this is not possible either).

1) Why won't God heal amputees?
Because he's a non-interventionist.

2) Why are there so many starving people in our world?
Because God is non-interventionist?

3) Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?
He doesn't - God didn't write the Bible, man did.

4) Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?
The Bible was written by primitive men, not God. Right answer, wrong rationalisation. On the other hand, who's to say science should be given so much sway? It's not the only course for the rational mind to follow. Sensory scepticism undermines empirical science entirely. Add in Bertrand Russell's 5 minute Universe hypothesis, and you've got no way to prove God create the whole world five minutes ago, dinosaur fossils, science, memories and all...

5) Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?
Again, not his words. See a pattern developing here?

6) Why do bad things happen to good people?
The scale of either his idiocy, ignorance or capacity for deception here is staggering. There have been hundreds upon hundreds of books written on this very topic, debates raging for hundreds of years, and he wants to simplify the question to 30 seconds of his shit-stirring video? It's misguided at best. Regardless, the answer isn't overwhelmingly complex. Free will is the greatest gift God gave us. By not interfering, God gave us the chance to shape the course of our own lives, both in terms of events and how we react to them. God could interfere if he wished, but he won't - to do so would be unfair, and would imbalance the system he has created which lets every man or woman determine his or her own course. God is a meritocrat, as all the best people are. So bad things happen to good people because bad people exist, because we live in a natural world that is bigger than ourselves, because this life is not the only life and all unjust punishments will be redeemed by greater rewards in heaven (if you get there)... There are a lot of answers, I don't have time to go in to all of them, or explain why this guy is such a shit-stirring moron.

7) Why didn't Jesus' miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?
Who's to say they didn't? Just because it hasn't yet been found doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist, or never existed.

8) How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?
Who's to say he hasn't? We can never rationally entirely discount any person's religious experience - because we can never get inside their heads. However unlikely it may seem, every so-called nut who claims to have talked to God could be telling the truth (though they would have talked to the Metatron, rather than God himself.) On the other hand, why should he appear to us? One might argue that we've been given all the help we can fairly receive - a personal appearance would be proof. Proof denies faith, and without faith, God is nothing to us, because our free will would be useless - there's no choice to know something, it's generally self-evident, but faith requires choice.

9) Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?
As Llamavore said, maybe it's figurative, like a lot of the Bible (e.g. the creation story and the parables). By sharing bread and wine in Jesus' name, all Christians through all the ages are united in a common action representative of the sacrifice he made to allow man to clean his own soul.

10) Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?
Because they aren't perfect, and make mistakes, like everyone, and misjudged their partner? Because people change, no matter what faith they hold? Because God doesn't want you to be unhappy? Because marriage is more of an administrative and state institution now than a religious one? Lots of answers, take your pick.

It's probably coloured by some bad experiences of his own, but the chip on this guy's shoulder is clearly obstructing his vision. I'll be the first to say that organised religion isn't my preference (I believe religion is a relationship between you and God, and no one has the right to tell you how to conduct that relationship), but it hasn't been uniformly destructive and evil. Many people behave better because of religion, just as some behave worse.

Furthermore, this is symptomatic of the sort of idiocy pushed by Richard Dawkins,  who totally lost the plot. Philosophy, science and religion are not enemies. They are all compatible, and every moron who furthers the crusade type mentality is an enemy to progress. Science only gives us how - that is the entire scope of its remit. It does not give us why. This is evidenced by the fact that an enormous number of leading scientists of all fields are Christians, or religious, and not uncomfortable at all about interaction between their faith and their work. Galileo was spurred on to his discoveries by his love for God, as was Newton. Einstein himself spoke of how untenable atheism is.

I'm all for rational debate - I'm a philosopher, after all: I'd be a pretty poor one, if I wasn't. But this isn't it. I haven't watched the other two videos, but if they're anything like as non-sensical, blinkered, self-contradictory, hypocritical, illogical, crass and idiotic as the second one, then I can only commend you on undermining the whole purpose of this topic, because there has been no rational debate, just a uniform dconstruction of illogical and unjustified claims. You need two sides to a debate. So far, this is just a demolition.
You match your friends to your principles, not your principles to your friends.

Offline schneereich

• RIctuar
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 09:55:17 pm »
The obvious answer to all of those questions is that God is crazy and evil, a bit like Hitler in the later stages of syphilis. Who was it that said "God is to man as a mean kid with a magnifying glass is to ants"?

One of these days, I'm going to start a theocracy where I can have slaves, eat flesh, drink blood, kill people for really poor reasons, not heal diseases, insist that the world was created at the same time as my country by discounting all other previous civilizations, and all that other Christian stuff.

C-zom

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 09:56:45 pm »
NO

DELETE THIS TOPIC

NOW

Offline IronSoldier820

• TTK Ambassador
  • Cactuar
  • It's My Dick in a Box
    • View Profile
    • The Templar Knights
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 10:49:08 pm »
Quote from: schneereich
The obvious answer to all of those questions is that God is crazy and evil, a bit like Hitler in the later stages of syphilis. Who was it that said "God is to man as a mean kid with a magnifying glass is to ants"?

One of these days, I'm going to start a theocracy where I can have slaves, eat flesh, drink blood, kill people for really poor reasons, not heal diseases, insist that the world was created at the same time as my country by discounting all other previous civilizations, and all that other Christian stuff.
I like how other people provided evidence of their own to further their point, and then you just come straight out trolling. Classy, not only did you invoke Godwin's law, you also constructed a one sentence parody.

You must think you're clever.

Quote from: Loren
I could care less if they murdered a town of babies, but if they killed the dog.. <__<

Offline Joga Bonito

• Cactus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 03:01:22 am »
That banana one is stupid. Yer one fruit is easy to eat but what about all the other fruit that aren't. Like a coconut. Why'd god make a coconut? That's like hard as to get into.

But yer. I don't think there's anything wrong with having faith in a god..even if there isn't one. There were only a few religious kids at our school, and there was one guy in particular who me and my mates used to b-ully pretty bad. But now I feel real bad about it cos there's nothing wrong with just having faith in something. It can get you through some hard times. Give you hope at the very least.

That was deep.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:48:05 am by Joga Bonito »

Offline Kenneth Kenstar

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 166 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42:59 am »
Llamavore and the infamous...let's make this topic delicious.

You both decided to break down the answers to this video and I'm happy for that.

"So here is question #1: Why won't God heal amputees?" here's a theory. in the biblical accounts jesus stated 'your faith has made you well.' it is easier to have faith that some unseen internal malady may be corrected, than to believe that an external deficiency which you have psychologically adapted to, will be materially reversed. faith is a fickle thing, and as nuanced as any other facet of psychology.

You didn't answer the question! It was a shitty rationalization and ignoring the question at hand!

Why won't God heal amputees, but, other people may receive their own miracles? Could it just be that miracles do not exist and they are logical coincidences?

1) Why won't God heal amputees?
Because he's a non-interventionist.

That's a good argument, but, why is God a non-interventionist when it comes to limbs? In fact, let's roll with this. Why does God intervien only sometimes? Like, say ignore Hurricane Katrina, but definitely let's help this old American woman who can't walk!

I know what you are trying to say, by the way. But, I'm curious why you think your view of God is the right one. It directly opposes with what Llamavore is saying, also. >_>

Hell, really, I could say I have already won this argument because two believers of God just pretty much posted two long answers that directly oppose one another (except a few points).

Also, some of those answers are based on the bible which is kinda interesting.

Wait.

Why the FUCK would you quote the Bible?

Seriously. Who the hell do you think wrote it? God? God didn't write any of that. The book has been manipulated over and over again by either innocent mistranslations, political means, and under the watchful, secretive eye of the Catholics before even the idea that Christians could be protestant existed.

Not only that, but, the book is so old that you can't even make sense out of most of the book. The "Great Flood"? How in the fuck would people in that time know the entire world was flooded, yet, thought the earth was fucking flat and had no idea of the existence of

- Northern and South America
- Antarctica
- England
- Australia
- I'm sure I could list more if I were still in High School

You get the point? By quoting the Bible you are quoting people who didn't know what the fuck to do with a fork on their idea of what the world was.

In fact, the entire Bible is just the prospective of people thousands of years ago, mistranslated countless times, edited by many people for content and you are taking it as though it were literal?

When you guys find a way to release "Bible: The Director's Cut" then maybe I'll actually listen to these quotations. But, it just makes you sound like an idiot to take anything in that book in context at ALL.

Sure, maybe this isn't exactly a fair argument, but, am I wrong in my assumption that the Bible is a very untrustworthy source of information?

Hell, Islam's Quran is at least consistent. It has NOT been edited like the Bible has. So, why the fuck do you quote that book so much?

If you trust that book, it means you have faith, definitely.

But, if you put your faith into something that is very much so inconsistent, what does that make you?

Would you drive a Ford Tempo around and have faith that it would get you across the United States just because you were raised in a family that refused to drive anything BUT Ford Tempos?

Yeah. I know I'm sounding like a troll, but I just made some legitimate arguments and I want you to try to prove me wrong. The only way I'm going to get anything legitimate from people who believe in the Bible is if I piss them off.

Also,

NO

DELETE THIS TOPIC

NOW

lol
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:55:31 am by BethanyM »

Offline DrunkWino

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 09:59:40 am »
Quote from: C-zom
NO

DELETE THIS TOPIC

NOW

I'm going to not do that, not now anyway. A little exercise is good for both a persons brain and a persons faith.

Now, keep it *clean*. Remember, you shouldn't attack the person who presents their logic or faith, and it's not even nessasary to attack their ideas. Just post your side of this, point out the holes in the other side that you see, and when you feel like your getting pissed off, walk away until you calm down. If you start flaming each other, then I will start pruning this. If it gets too bad, I will shut it down.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:01:38 am by DrunkWino »
Vote Cthulhu 2016

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 46 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317