Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Greatest band evar  (Read 3604 times)

Offline —-

• Cuba
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards Has been Head of Internal Affairs
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 7 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 06:01:51 pm »
Did someone say Metallica?

Offline Jon Lowe

• Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://
Greatest band evar
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 06:15:24 pm »
i personally like nickleback and some older bands like AC/DC and pink floyd.

Offline Ganon5

• Furious Panda
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the Unjust War RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has colonized Mars! Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 0.7" long.
  • has 67 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=797919207
  • Nation: Desperation
  • Ruler: Furious Panda
Greatest band evar
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 09:24:45 pm »
I think my favourite band would be either AC/DC or Guns n Roses. But there's no such thing as the greatest band ever

Offline speedk0re

• Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 04:30:57 pm »
the Alkaline Trio pre 2002 or so.
Then Raffi for banana phone

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave
  • war boner is 0.26" long.
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Casterly Rock
  • Ruler: leonardothered
Greatest band evar
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 02:25:27 am »
Quote from: Lamentations
Crunka: Notice it says the "greatest band evar" and not "the greatest band now". For their time the beatles were good, and pink floyd still has a strong following today and still has relevant and influential music.

tool would be a cool candidate but not all of their songs are great and become very repetitive.

Tool would not be a great candidate for 'best band ever' by a long shot. In the top few, perhaps, but the vocals don't fit all the time and there are a whole lot of shit songs with the good ones. Also he ais a jerk and doesn't show himself live... If your music is too personal don't release it... The drummer is good, the rest are mediocre.

lol @ opeth did you pick that band out of "gayest wannabe metal bands" list? what have they done for music?

What does it matter what they have done for music when they make good music. The lyrics are engaging and the atmosphere created in the songs are superb, their slower songs are like early floyd and they can blend the heavy and soft very well (debatable, and they were not the first to do it, but they do the heavy parts very professionally and it sounds right, excellent songwriting and also instrumental skill) in many songs and over entire concept albums.

They never claim to be metal, and don't even act like it (no corpse paint, no heavy drinking or other stereotypically metal things, etc.). They just make music like they want, at least they did. Not so good without Lopez and Lindgren now.

Nirvana had an impact and some songs were very good but best band is a bit far.

Thing is, if they have a major impact on world music it is generally a bad thing, because 90% of people a jerk offs and just strap on to the things people say about bands (e.g. Lateralus by Tool being complex, etc.) without actually knowing what they are agreeing with and it makes it seem like they are better (or more of whatever is said about them) than they are. For example: Joey jordison from slipknot or travis barker from blink 182 being "good drummers". Someone says this and millions just agree even though they have no idea.

How about a best band for each genre or style or something (or even things like song writing/composition, lyrics, instrument mastery, etc.)?

The beatles are still the most well-known band ever.

They're the Beatles man... They are the most influential band, by far, still today. Every musician listens to them if they know what music is. Relevant? People STILL cover their songs today, quite commonly, and they go through remixes that make them sound just as modern. Best band Now? That's something to argue about, but we all know:

The Who.

Silverchair was a joke anyways... I like them, but I was kidding about best band ever.

And IronMaiden is good, but not the best ever. I mean come on, it's metal.
A Lannister always pays his debts

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
Greatest band evar
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 01:01:17 am »
hahaha, metal does suck (to me).

i KNOW about music, i've listened to practically every genre from different languages and whatnot and i gotta tell you man, i only have three songs by the beatles, and i only listen to 1 occasionally. they WERE great, but now, there's new stuff that surpasses it. i can't deny their tonicularity, however, that does not make them great. i mean, green day is tonicular, and they're faggots. also, just because a band is old does not make them "classic" (aimed towards douche bags that claim they only listen to that genre.

sorry if i sound like an arrogant queer in this post.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 01:25:12 am by Crunka »
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

Offline —-

• Cuba
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 7 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 10:15:27 am »
Quote from: Shyox
Crunka: Notice it says the "greatest band evar" and not "the greatest band now". For their time the beatles were good, and pink floyd still has a strong following today and still has relevant and influential music.

tool would be a cool candidate but not all of their songs are great and become very repetitive.

Tool would not be a great candidate for 'best band ever' by a long shot. In the top few, perhaps, but the vocals don't fit all the time and there are a whole lot of shit songs with the good ones. Also he ais a jerk and doesn't show himself live... If your music is too personal don't release it... The drummer is good, the rest are mediocre.

lol @ opeth did you pick that band out of "gayest wannabe metal bands" list? what have they done for music?

What does it matter what they have done for music when they make good music. The lyrics are engaging and the atmosphere created in the songs are superb, their slower songs are like early floyd and they can blend the heavy and soft very well (debatable, and they were not the first to do it, but they do the heavy parts very professionally and it sounds right, excellent songwriting and also instrumental skill) in many songs and over entire concept albums.

They never claim to be metal, and don't even act like it (no corpse paint, no heavy drinking or other stereotypically metal things, etc.). They just make music like they want, at least they did. Not so good without Lopez and Lindgren now.

Thing is, if they have a major impact on world music it is generally a bad thing, because 90% of people a jerk offs and just strap on to the things people say about bands (e.g. Lateralus by Tool being complex, etc.) without actually knowing what they are agreeing with and it makes it seem like they are better (or more of whatever is said about them) than they are. For example: Joey jordison from slipknot or travis barker from blink 182 being "good drummers". Someone says this and millions just agree even though they have no idea.

How about a best band for each genre or style or something (or even things like song writing/composition, lyrics, instrument mastery, etc.)?

They're the Beatles man... They are the most influential band, by far, still today. Every musician listens to them if they know what music is. Relevant? People STILL cover their songs today, quite commonly, and they go through remixes that make them sound just as modern. Best band Now? That's something to argue about, but we all know:

The Who.

Silverchair was a joke anyways... I like them, but I was kidding about best band ever.

You lost me when you dis'd metal >_>

Offline King Without A Crown

• RItiree - burritos
  • Cactus
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave One year of Random Insanity
    • View Profile
    • http://
Greatest band evar
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 10:45:10 am »
Rage Against The Machine....game over

^zomg my first ria oriented banner

Quote from: Delta1212
Democracy and Communism are like Night and apples...They have nothing to do with each other. >_>

Quote from: Babelonians
ya burning her house down may have ruined that relationship. but im not an expert so don't quote me on that.

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 03:03:27 pm »
Quote from: Loren

The Who.

You lost me when you dis'd metal >_>

Haha, I was only kidding, I love Tool and those other Alternative bands, but I just think the musicianship gets lost too much in most metal.

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:01 pm »
Quote from: Crunka
hahaha, metal does suck (to me).

i KNOW about music, i've listened to practically every genre from different languages and whatnot and i gotta tell you man, i only have three songs by the beatles, and i only listen to 1 occasionally. they WERE great, but now, there's new stuff that surpasses it. i can't deny their tonicularity, however, that does not make them great. i mean, green day is tonicular, and they're faggots. also, just because a band is old does not make them "classic" (aimed towards douche bags that claim they only listen to that genre.

sorry if i sound like an arrogant queer in this post.

>.<

Well, three songs... The Beatles wrote hundreds, you know. They also wrote them for other people. I wouldn't say the Beatles are great performers. In fact, I like cover versions of their songs better than most originals. But you can't compare anyone else's songwriting skills to them, they smash the shit out of anyone as songwriters.

And which three songs were they?

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
Greatest band evar
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 02:21:01 am »
i listened to a lot of beatles songs. but i just kept three:

(one i actually listen to) within you/without you (great fucking song)
the one with the bass line
and i am the walrus
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 04:20:10 pm »
Gravedig'd.

I think this needs to be revived.

After reviewing around 20 more bands and artists since then...

The Beatles own now more than ever. I don't think anyone has a greater collection of truly timeless, diverse songs then they have.

A band may have ten or so REALLY good songs, that are real classics, or will be. The Killers present pretty good work, I like The Darkness's first album a lot, Disturbed is solid, Tool, and there're quite a few more older bands as well... But the beatles had around 30 REALLY great songs, if not more. I think the hype around them was truly deserved.

They wrote their own music, wrote other people's music, and inspired hundreds of bands and artists to want to make music. Including myself, though I suck.

Even as performers, they were pretty damn solid, going back on looking at live performances. Any of the beatles alone had great careers as artists, producing tons of hits outside of the original band. Combine the three (I'm not counting Ringo in this, though he was a good drummer and nice guy) and you've got this bundle of asskickery with the ability to massacre any other band, ever.

The Beatles are not just good for their time, they're great in the now.

Go listen to Strawberry fields or Hey Jude and tell me those aren't two of the greatest songs you've ever heard.

Offline —-

• Cuba
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 7 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 04:42:38 pm »
I'm an offical Foo Fighters whore. Seeing them in 26 days.

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 09:27:54 pm »
Well, the Foo is definitely one of the greatest rock bands to emerge since the classic rockers of old.

They're far better than even the Rolling Stones, really.

Offline —-

• Cuba
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • war boner is 9" long.
  • has 7 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 09:33:14 pm »
Well, the Foo is definitely one of the greatest rock bands to emerge since the classic rockers of old.

They're far better than even the Rolling Stones, really.
I <3 your taste.

Offline zblewski

• RIAer
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Internal Affairs Was elected to be Captain Planet
  • war boner is 9.2" long.
  • has 34 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Nowi Kaszuby
  • Ruler: Zblewski
Greatest band evar
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 10:23:56 pm »
I can't speak for you guys, I speak for myself, since i'm almost alone listening to metalcore.

Botch were kings by creating the genre, and defined the absolute essence of a type of music that never fit in with any other type. Not metal. Not Hardcore. Not punk.

Metalcore.
Mathcore.
Technical Core.

They made discordant riffs sound perfectly in place, along with the unique use of complex time signatures and their tone.

Fukken awesome \m/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:25:19 pm by zblewski »

Nowi Kaszuby | Leader: Zblewski | CAPTAIN PLANET (Feb.-Aug. 2009) | Nations Anarchied For the RIA: 8

Quote from: Hyperonic
I just love unplugging that sum bitch just to watch y'all squeal.

wethepeople

Greatest band evar
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 10:32:48 pm »
Ew, Metallica is good, but not the best.

Best band ever is probably Judas Priest, Queensryche or Black Sabbath.

My pick: Judas Priest

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 10:37:05 pm »
>.>

What's the point of making all of these gay little sub-genres?

And they suck. They're really terrible. I jsut listened to five songs, and now I have a hole in the top of my head from where the bullet exited.

Don't waste your time listening and reviewing awful shit like that.

WTF were they thinking with that god-awful screaming anyways?

Offline Shyox

• RIAer
  • RIctuar
  • has 29 llamas
    • View Profile
Greatest band evar
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 10:38:14 pm »
Quote from: wethepeople
Ew, Metallica is good, but not the best.

Best band ever is probably Judas Priest, Queensryche or Black Sabbath.

My pick: Judas Priest

Judas Priest is better than all of those, I must say.

But I'm sticking with the Beatles.

wethepeople

Greatest band evar
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 10:40:40 pm »
Judas Priest's music > All

Queensryche's vocals > ALL.

Thats the problem. Black Sabbath is outdone on both, actually. Don't know why I said them. The Beatles? I hate them. So much.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:42:11 pm by wethepeople »

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 47 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317