Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: I need to think about future careers and school, etc  (Read 1663 times)

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
I need to think about future careers and school, etc
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:17:10 pm »
I'm in grade 11 for those of you who don't know, and i need to re-choose some of my courses for next year. I'm trying to get into stationary engineering, and i'm not too sure what to take next year, or what kind of things I will have to take i college. Idunno if you guys know what i should take, but does anyone know where I could go to find out? like, a specific website for example?

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Two Years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • war boner is 21.03" long.
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Jenne
  • Ruler: Jenne
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:28:49 pm »
I have a masters in mechanical engineering, so I would like to think I can help you out.  But one question, what the fuck is stationary engineering?

edit:  So, a quick search of the all knowing goggle tell me has something to do with boiler maintenance, or something like that.  That being said, it sounds like you would probably need a lot of the same things I did.  The school has changed the curriculum some since I was there, but it's still basically the same overall.  My first year, I took mostly the basics.  Physics, Chemistry, shit tons of Calculus, and my gen ed reqs.  2nd year, I took most of my structural courses.  Statics, dynamics, deformables, material science..., as well as some programming.  3rd year was mostly dedicated to fluids and thermodynamics, but I also took 3 design courses.  4th year was my final project, plus some grad classes to help me get into grad school.  I took a finite element theory course, a nuclear power course, and another math course to fill out my minor.  

So, in high school, I'd stick to any math you can get your hands on and the physical sciences (AP classes if you can.  I got a math and two Bio credits from mine).  Also, if you have any engineering or CAD courses available to you, I'd take them as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:41:17 pm by Jenne »

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:35:23 pm »
idunno why it's called that, I think if you tell me what I would need for engineering it would be just about the same thing.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • Awards Has been a Triumvir Six years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Baldr War Five years of Random Insanity The Disorder War Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been Head of Recruitment Four years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Equilibrium War Has been Head of Economics Was elected to be Captain Planet Three years of Random Insanity Inductee of the Golden Dong Has colonized Mars! RIAer has been blown to ZI in defense of RIA Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Has recruited a member into the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Two Years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Military Operations Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex Veteran of the Karma War Has been Head of Internal Affairs Has been an officer or SiC of a bRIgade Has colonized the Moon! Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:44:41 pm »
Quote from: KingRanter
idunno why it's called that, I think if you tell me what I would need for engineering it would be just about the same thing.

The basics for most engineering disciplines are all the same.  In fact, with the new curriculum, all engineering students take the same classes for the first year, then go into their discipline specific courses in their sophomore year.

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:48:26 pm »
sweet, so what kind of things should I take?

this year i took 2 different computer science courses, chemistry, physics, law, tech design, and of course math and english.

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12:02 am »

this year i took 2 different computer science courses, chemistry, physics, law, tech design, and of course math and english.

Check out the edit on my first post.  Let me know if that does not help.

Offline Crazyman93

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Waffle Commissar
  • Awards Veteran of the Karma War Two Years of Random Insanity Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War One year of Random Insanity
  • war boner is 5.43" long.
  • has 15 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Seraven Empire
  • Ruler: Crazyman93
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:19:08 pm »
Can't help you. Not sure why a smart person is here anyway.

Spoiler for Hiden:
<--I'm somewhere in there.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5745/tigerrv.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2228/55990.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Airhammer/Women%20of%20Wrestling/Brooke%20Adams/BrookeAdams22.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/huntms83/hAz1qe5fld.jpg
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgzn4eJw721qb197bo1_500.jpg

I'd like to thank the RIA for giving me a place to hide my hotgirl pics

Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: Jenne
You should not question what you know nothing about.  No one in RIA willl ever question crazyman's dedication to our alliance.

Offline DrunkWino

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 01:05:13 pm »
Slumming
Vote Cthulhu 2016

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 02:33:36 pm »
Quote from: Jenne

Check out the edit on my first post.  Let me know if that does not help.
Actually it does. I guess I should be securing a chemistry next year then, cause that's all that I need and I have room for 2 more courses, one that I want to have as a spare. The only real problem is that next year, the chemistry course I was planning to take and the computer science i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to take are at the same time, but I didn't find out if there we're other chemistry courses when I found out >_>

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 02:44:48 pm »
I had a similar issue with Chem in HS.  Chem was a junior class, but I skipped it to take physics.  I didn't want to take it, but as a research college more, I realized I really needed it.  I ended up having to take the class with the class before me, and then had to schedule my lab with a B class to fit my schedule.  I also had to drop concert band to fit it in.  I was more interested in Jazz (which was extracurricular) anyway.  I did manage to take a Jazz improv class.  

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 03:04:47 pm »
I didn't quite catch all of that. What you're saying is, I do, indeed, need to take chemistry in gr 12 as well as the one I took in 11?

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 03:09:14 pm »
I'd take whatever you can.  My HS only offered 1 chem class.  Math is going to be the big key.  I was required to take so many math classes in college for my degree program that I only had to take 1 additional class to get a minor.

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 03:19:57 pm »
So if i was forced to choose between computer science and chemistry, I would take chemistry? You didn't reeeaally answer my last question :\
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:20:28 pm by KingRanter »

Offline Jenne

• I am your overlord!
  • Cactus Emeritus
  • Cactimus Prime
  • has 442 llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 03:29:35 pm »
I guess it depends on what the CS class is.  If it's a CAD class, or control systems, or even C++, it's probably worth taking.  

Really, your best bet is to check out the curriculum at several colleges you may be looking at, and see what you are going to have to take.  Then work up a solid foundation for those classes.  

Here is the list of required courses for Union College (where I did my BS and MS).

edit: Damn, I with they had some of those electives back in my day.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:31:07 pm by Jenne »

Offline KingRanter

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 03:42:10 pm »
I know the CS is javascript, because I took the intro CS and it was mostly flash, but there we're 12th graders in there too who we're doing javascript at one point, but I didn't hear much about that myself. There might be some C++, but one way or another i really don't want to drop that class.

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Six years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Four years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of Great War III RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 12:47:23 am »
Quote from: Crazyman93
*cough, cough*
-33 ACT as a junior(30 freshman year with a perfect score in English, 29 8th grade)
-over a 4.0 GPA(all A's so far in high school)
-taking Calculus and Intro. to Political Science at the local university fall semester
-we'll see on the 2 AP tests I took which I felt good about(on 4 total practice tests, I had 3 5's and a 4 with my multiple choice scores being the best in my class each time)
-accepted to the Governor's Scholars Program
-211 PSAT score(98th percentile, top 50k in the country, some Hispanic award, hopefully a National Merit semifinalist at the least)
-probably other stuff I missed

Frankly, I'm insulted by that comment.

Phew, sometimes I just like to brag, I guess, so you can ignore me if you want.

And I guess that didn't answer your thought anyway...

Also, cocks.
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

Offline DollaChoppa

• Baby Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.habbohotel.com
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 08:59:23 pm »
Quote from: Leo
*cough, cough*
-33 ACT as a junior(30 freshman year with a perfect score in English, 29 8th grade)
-over a 4.0 GPA(all A's so far in high school)
-taking Calculus and Intro. to Political Science at the local university fall semester
-we'll see on the 2 AP tests I took which I felt good about(on 4 total practice tests, I had 3 5's and a 4 with my multiple choice scores being the best in my class each time)
-accepted to the Governor's Scholars Program
-211 PSAT score(98th percentile, top 50k in the country, some Hispanic award, hopefully a National Merit semifinalist at the least)
-probably other stuff I missed

Frankly, I'm insulted by that comment.

Phew, sometimes I just like to brag, I guess, so you can ignore me if you want.

And I guess that didn't answer your thought anyway...

Also, cocks.

but can you dunk?

Offline crazyisraelie

• RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of Great War III Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Karma War Three years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Recruitment One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has been Head of Foreign Affairs Has been a Foreign Affairs director
  • war boner is 5.4" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Kingdom of Zion
  • Ruler: crazyisraelie
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 03:31:13 pm »
Wow this topic made me feel stupid.

Yes I am a self righteous asshole. Deal with it.

Offline Leo

• Common Dandy
  • Floridian Tribal Elder
  • God Emperor Cactus
  • Awards 7 Years of Random Insanity Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Dave War Five years of Random Insanity Six years of Random Insanity Hero of the RIA Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Four years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of Great War III RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Veteran of the Karma War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Illuminati War Veteran of the War of the Coalition Has recruited a member into the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has donated money for the RIA
  • war boner is 14.02" long.
  • has 218 llamas
    • View Profile
    • see my kitty
  • Nation: The Turtle Lair
  • Ruler: Leonardo
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 11:07:15 pm »
Can I help you feel sexy?

And what height rim are we talkin' here?
looking for new sig
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck y'all.

Well, Mia, I honestly think the one thing keeping us from war, is that no one else wants to risk Leo joining them if RIA is beaten to hell
<brians_bot>: kenny > big tits
Currently banned from the IRC channels of NPO, NpO, NpO's Academy, RnR, TOOL, IRON, VE, SOS, CSN, Legion, MK, Invicta, NSO, IAA, ODN, GGA, Paradox, Sparta, Ronin, Amazon, Genesis, FK, tripletonic2, Superfriends, GPA, TJO, Cybernations(the channel), Coldfront(the channel), sex(the channel), RIA, Poisonclan, TPF, nukethanquit, faggotry, slcb, exodus, fok, we_surrender_to_INT, mogars_room, temptrade, Karaoke, gotham, win, misfitnations, MHA, relationships, nordreich, nongrata, war

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 48 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317